Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times

Advertisements

Someone needs to educate LePage that being Govenor in Maine does not mean being Dictator. Latest stupid move is removing Labor Art from Labor building. You cannot erase "history".

Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Luckily the state is in such great shape that all these poindexters have to worry about is wall hangings, state desserts, and state snacks. Dang it, I am feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Gotta admit that I thought that removing a painting was a bit much, until I saw the room and the mural. It's a small room and the mural is very imposing in there. This is another mole hill- mountain distraction.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
not in Maine but was thinking of moving there.but ummmmm just how long are governors elected for?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,381 times
If there was ever a way to tell state employees that taxpayers aren't going to have their hands tied in regards to changing the budget at the state level, this was it. The mural depicts a labor strike and Frances Perkins (who is not idolized or revered by many conservatives.) Those portions of the mural depict values that the state no longer wants to stand for. It's a shame Rosie the Riveter couldn't be saved, but overall I understand why the decision was made.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
I'm just wondering when LePage is going to get down to business and start saving us all money like he said he would.

Seems like the money spent to pull down murals and rename conference rooms could be put to better use.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Someone needs to educate LePage that being Govenor in Maine does not mean being Dictator. Latest stupid move is removing Labor Art from Labor building. You cannot erase "history".

What a great topic! And thanks for making it bold type, I might have missed otherwise!

Do you know why it is going to be removed?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM

326 posts, read 433,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I'm just wondering when LePage is going to get down to business and start saving us all money like he said he would.

Seems like the money spent to pull down murals and rename conference rooms could be put to better use.
He WILL save a lot of money. He's working on the biggest tax cut for the very wealthy in ME, all 400 of them. Which in turn will create a huge budget deficit. But not to worry, we can always cut public services, and privatize things like, police and the fire department. And if that's not enough, well... We can always raise property taxes - but only on those properties valued below $400.000 - call it the "Paris Hilton" policy. Surely it will attract business to the state.
And oh, let's get rid of anything Frances Perkins has ever done lest incite those "labor people"

Last edited by MainerWannabe; 03-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-24-2011, 11:12 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Seems like state government is poised to gut departments like the Labor Dept. which are meant to protect the rights and safety of Maine's workers (we've already had some personal dealings with the under-staffing of the Labor Dept. in the name of "cost cutting").
I guess they won't really address the reasons for Maine's unattractiveness to business; less than adequate freight and telecommunications infrastructure as well as high cost overhead from fuel and heating costs. When you are the logistical armpit of the nation geographically you have to do more than try to smell nice.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Kristin I knew there was a reason I liked you...I couldn't agree more with your post. Obama sent back a statue of Winston Churchill that was a GIFT from England but no one on that side of the aisle thought that was a dictator move!! Hanging union highlight panels in a mural in the statehouse is an In Your Face slap from the Union leadership and should never have been allowed to happen in a public place. Hang that crap in your union hall. You can't even put up a Christmas tree these days without offending people but it's OK to have a mural depicting great moments in Union strikes and walk out history??? I don't think so. Lepage has my support. The unions are NOT in control of this state though they certainly THINK they are.
When he does away with welfare to the 800,000 lay abouts in this state he will save millions. Cutting taxes on wealthy people allows them to invest in their businesses and hire new employees. Working for a living, a concept that escapes those on the dole. Their awakening is on the horizon....enjoy the bread lines or find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine