Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I've taken the first step. School Board. See ya at the meetings NMLM.
Good for you and your community! Communities need a lot more productive people who make an effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Background checks are required for anyone involved with children now for that reason.
I don't believe there is a school in our AOS that requires a background check to be involved with the students. DH has never been asked for background or finger prints.

DD2 excels in math and science and would have enjoyed the charter school. If she didn't have the opportunities she needed in any of the high schools available (we chose to live in a town that has school choice from K-12) we probably would have looked seriously into sending her. It wasn't necessary. She's graduating high school in June with a semester of college completed.

I have no problem with taxes going to charter schools and am in favor of vouchers. There's nothing wrong with schools being worthy of their keep.

Between the two of us we have 18 years on school boards in two towns. Our youngest is graduating so I'm resigning at the end of the fiscal year. Someone with children in school will step up to the plate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Foxborough Regional Charter School Frequently Asked Questions

What is a charter school?Authorized by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Education Reform Act of 1993, charter schools are independent public schools that operate under five year charters granted by the Commonwealth’s Board of Education. Charter schools are usually proposed by teachers, school leaders, parents, non-profit organizations, or other members of the community.

How much does it cost to attend Foxborough Regional Charter School?Charter schools are tuition free schools of choice. They are funded by tuition charges assessed against the school districts where the students reside and the state provides partial reimbursement to the sending districts for the tuition costs incurred.

What is the mission of Foxborough Regional Charter School?Foxborough Regional Charter School will provide students a challenging academic program to prepare them for college by stressing achievement, discipline, hard work and accountability. We will continually challenge all of our students, regardless of ability, so that we will lead the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in all statewide standards and assessments.

Foxborough Regional Charter School will promote positive ethical, moral, and civic values and prepare students to serve their community as leaders and good citizens. We will present students with projects and issues requiring critical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making, and real-life applications of their academic studies through our Student Life and Community Service Learning programs, which are integral components of the overall educational experience at Foxborough Regional Charter School.

Foxborough Regional Charter School will commit itself to providing a supportive, professional, and challenging environment for its teachers and staff, which recognizes the value of professional development, creativity, and initiative. We will constantly seek new ways to allow our teachers and staff to perform to the best of their potential in a collegial atmosphere, which recognizes unique talents and the commitment to excel.

What towns does Foxborough Regional Charter School service?Foxborough Regional Charter School is a K-12, college preparatory, public school located in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The school currently enrolls over 1,180 students from 20 communities, including Attleboro, Avon, Brockton, Canton, Easton, Foxborough, Mansfield, Medfield, Medway, Millis, Norfolk, North Attleboro, Norton, Norwood, Plainville, Sharon, Stoughton, Walpole, West Bridgewater, and Wrentham. At full capacity, Foxborough Regional Charter School will enroll 1,200 students.

Who can enroll?Enrollment is open to children of the Commonwealth with priority given to the children that reside in the twenty one(21) cities and towns that comprise the Foxborough Regional Charter School. Proof of residency shall include any one of the following: a valid driver’s license or a voter registration card and a current utility bill or rent receipt.

Is there an entry exam?While the School does not administer examinations for entrance, students are assessed after enrollment to determine appropriate grade placement.

Is transportation available?Foxborough students are transported to the school by town buses. For all other sending districts, a regional bus service has been implemented to make the school more accessible to parents. The regional bus service is filled on a first come, first serve basis.

Is there an after school program?Foxborough Regional Charter School offers an Extended Day Program. It is a supervised, fee-based program for students grades K through 8. Extended day students go directly to the gymnasium at dismissal time. Students are provided a snack and given the opportunity to choose an activity in which to participate.

•The school allows parents/guardians to pick-up students until 3:30PM for parents who might be delayed.
•At 3:30PM students are brought to the Extended Day Program and parents are charged accordingly.
•The program operates immediately after dismissal until 6:00PM.
•Students are not allowed to leave the school grounds and re-enter the Extended Day Program.
•Parents/guardians are required to sign their children out at pick up.
•Children are released only to the person(s) whose name(s) are listed on the Extended Day Enrollment Form.
•There is an additional fee per diem for any pick-up after 6:00PM.
Is there a dress code?
Yes. Foxborough Regional Charter School has a dress code. Tops, bottoms and sweaters/sweatshirts must be solid navy, white or khaki in color.

When will my child learn Spanish?
Our Spanish program starts in kindergarten and continues up through twelfth grade. FRCS students have tested out of college level Spanish requirements.

I got looking into charter schools when a friend from my home town posted something on facebook about how excited she was that her daughter got in to the charter school.. What transpired afterwards was a lot people from the area discussing how happy they are with the school..

NOTE-- Foxboro public schools and the most of the towns serviced by this charter school are not really bad and in fact some of them are the best in the state of Ma... which frankly, as a state, rates very high nationaly..

This was a few years ago but I had the opportunity to enter one of the local HS here... even though most of this was against school rules none of it was being enforced... I saw kids talking on cell phones, swearing, wearing less than the appropiate attire, and just acting rude.

I dont know if they couldnt or just didnt bother but I was a little disgusted.. I doubt that sort of behavior is acceptable in a school like this where parents and children alike are lucky to be there..

Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Reloop makes some very good points. I especially agree with "I think that education is such a multifaceted issue, that no one thing will cure everything about it."

How can charter schools in AZ get by with failing to accommodate special needs children without facing a lawsuit for being in violation of federal laws?

If a lottery is involved in choosing who gets to attend a charter school then what does that have to do with parental choice other than choosing to participate in the lottery? I was educated in Maine's public schools and overall, I am very satisfied with my education. I can only remember two teachers that I thought were not very good teachers, but maybe my learning style didn't match their teaching styles.

Tax dollars support charter schools. As a simple example, if it costs $6,000 a year in a public school to educate one child, that same school system would take $6,000 per child and send it to the charter school. That would mean fewer tax dollars for the non-charter public schools. In reality, the school system would most likely have to give $8,000 (rather than $6,000) per child to the charter school. So, yes, more money is spent per pupil at the charter school and that means even more funds are in effect taken away from the other public schools. Charter schools are not private schools; students are charged tuition for attending private schools K-12 similar to paying tuition at a college or university. Tuition in a private school varies--could be $5,000 per year or as much as $10,000 per year or more per child. Sometimes there is a discount for more than one child in the same family. Sometimes private schools have a religious affiliation, but not always. Do you think we would be better off if we went back to the way things were in colonial times (before public schools in America) when only the wealthy could afford to educate their children? It seems to me that too often the opportunity to get an education through public schools is taken for granted rather than valued.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:16 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
You know,.... you're absolutely right. I think I'm going to take some time and get involved. At least I can learn something about what goes on in our local system. Maybe with some insight I can be of some use.
it can be very rewarding

many years ago, I was a meat manager at a supermarket, and we'd have classes of elementery (age) kids come thru (as a fieldtrip tour of the store)and we'd give short demos, I always brought the kids in the cooler and show them how we grind burger in the huge meat grinder, and how we cut pork chops on the bandsaw, and how we'd wrap the product.
I was one part of the tour-the kids went thru the produce, seafood and deli/bakery departments- when the kids got back to school, the teacher would ask the kids to draw on construction paper-what they learned or remembered, or liked best and then the teacher would deliver what the kids drew and wrote- it was cute with the younger kids- the kids always tried to draw burgers and the grinder-then we'd place the drawings all around the store

I loved the questions the kids would ask!!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
The Maine School of Science and Math is technically a magnet school, which is very close to being a charter school. It does a great job. Many of its kids languished in the "old schools".
Public schools are afflicted by STASIS like you wouldn't believe (I used to teach and still am involved with schools quite a bit). It is simply not going to change unless we offer a new system. In many schools, the "inmates are running the asylum". I truly mean that (and honest educators will tell you the same thing). Also, many schools are waaay too involved with ideological indoctrination, which deflects from the mission of teaching and learning.
So I'm all in favor of charter schools
Two little corrections: teachers aren't required to be in the union. In Maine, unfortunately, most do belong (I used to be an MEA rep, too. Not proud of it!).
Second, MSSM is not on the old Loring; it's right in Limestone itself.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
That's terrific MBM. I hope I can learn something, I would like to do something to contribute a bit.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I got looking into charter schools when a friend from my home town posted something on facebook about how excited she was that her daughter got in to the charter school.. What transpired afterwards was a lot people from the area discussing how happy they are with the school..

NOTE-- Foxboro public schools and the most of the towns serviced by this charter school are not really bad and in fact some of them are the best in the state of Ma... which frankly, as a state, rates very high nationaly..

This was a few years ago but I had the opportunity to enter one of the local HS here... even though most of this was against school rules none of it was being enforced... I saw kids talking on cell phones, swearing, wearing less than the appropiate attire, and just acting rude.

I dont know if they couldnt or just didnt bother but I was a little disgusted.. I doubt that sort of behavior is acceptable in a school like this where parents and children alike are lucky to be there..
How long has the charter school been open? If the public schools are some of the very best, then would that effect the results of the charter school (in terms of parents/community who place greater value on education)?

I don't think you'll ever trump human nature. A lot of things that some parents do disgusts me too, but people who don't care enough to teach their children right from wrong will not suddenly become Parents Of The Year because their kid was chosen for a charter school IMHO.

I could see though that a charter school may hold the offending student's feet to the fire better and that would be a good thing without question.

I liked the answers from mollysmiles teacher/union perspective, so now I'm looking toward the student/community side.

Some key questions for me would be:

Where would the schools be located? Would existing buildings be used, or would there be new construction required?

Would vouchers cover the full cost of tuition of the charter school?

Will charter schools be subject to the same federal funding that public schools are, and will that funding continue to be based on test score numbers?

To that end, what will happen to school funding if the school fails? If enrollment in the public school drops radically, federal funding will too. Will any resulting revenue loss costs be passed on to town property owners (as it often is now for 'unfunded' mandates)?

What type of curriculum would be offered at most charter schools? Will it be tailored to a particular learning style?

Will there be more testing than actual instructional time (as there already is in public schools now IMHO)?

What state and federal mandates would the charter school not be subject to?

Where will students who don't meet the charter school's criteria go?

What will happen to those who are not lucky enough to win the lottery?

What will the total number of school days be? Will the day length be the typical 6 hour day?

Will competition close schools due to lack of enrollment?

MW, while not every school RSU or AOS requires background checks for volunteering - many larger school systems (like Bangor and Brewer and their bedroom communities) do require background checks for volunteers now, but not fingerprinting unless you are going to work at the school.

Not that it's not a good thing to know who's hanging around your kid by any means.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
MW, while not every school RSU or AOS requires background checks for volunteering - many larger school systems (like Bangor and Brewer and their bedroom communities) do require background checks for volunteers now, but not fingerprinting unless you are going to work at the school.
That's right. A blanket statement that background checks are required of everyone involved with kids could give people the idea that it's too much trouble. Some schools require it but it's not state wide.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Congratulations MSINA. See you at the board meetings. Your predecessor was the longest serving school board member in the state.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Someone mentioned a factor earlier that I hadn't thought of. Some small towns that aren't members of school districts have -- or had -- school choice for high school students, meaning they're allowed to pick from several surrounding high schools. Does anyone know if that's still true under the new Regional School Union system? I remember a Vassalboro resident complaining that the kids there no longer had school choice because of the RSU law that was passed several years ago, but I don't know if that's the case everywhere.

Also, MSSM is in downtown (!) Limestone, not on the old Loring AFB. Before the base closed, the town had built a brand new high school and elementary school next to each other in town to accommodate locals and the children of base personnel. After the closure, the schools were mostly empty until MSSM opened. Limestone School uses half the high school building and MSSM uses the other half, while the former elementary school was converted into a dormitory for MSSM students. When my daughter attended, there was a nominal tuition fee. Don't know if that's still the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine