Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,874 times

Advertisements

I recently had along conversation about teaching in Maine with one of our illustrious legislators, a democrat. We were discussing the horrible retirement they have and usually not one to buy into the notion that teachers are so sacred I was forced to defend teachers when he told me that he was basically sick and tired of firemen, police, and teachers always whining about pay and benefits. He felt there was nothing wrong with the age requirement of 62 for teachers where he at his bank job has to work to 65 before he eligible for SS. Long story short I explained to him that in the private sector you have much more opportunities for mobility and advancement. That if you were astute you would probably not be depending SS and could be ready to retire much earlier. I then explained to him that the teacher who’s started his/her job today will most likely be standing in front of the class 30 years from now. The job can be very stressful and overtime I can see where their dues are paid.

But lets not over dramatize them. It is what it is. 30k a year, 8 weeks vacation, guaranteed raises, home by 4 every day, ect is not a bad gig for just coming out of school. And I say this.. I do not believe there is a public school teacher anywhere in Maine working for 17k a year. If you’re out there I want to know because there are probably other factors as to why. There are plenty of opportunities in Maine to make more than that as a teacher and the noble thing only flies so far. My loyalties are to myself and family and I would be irresponsible to work for that kind of money unless I wasn’t concerned about what I make or my abilities keep me from making more. I have to assume if you can get a 4 year degree then you have an ability to learn and apply knowledge and could easily make more than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 02:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Maine has a state starting teaching salary of 30,000-not 15,500! I just came from Texas and the difference in salaries is not that different! I have a masters and experience and will make close to what I made in Texas. Compared to when I taught in California it is much less, but my housing and costs were four times more and then some. I teach because it is my life's work, and being in Maine I can have a nice home and be comfortable on my salary-more than I can say when I made 20,000 more in california! Compare Apples to Apples!!
Do you have a link to their salary schedule? I'd like to compare apples to apples also.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I believe you have quite obviously chosen the wrong profession, and as critical as you are of it, I'm not quite sure why you chose it. I must say that I would not want you teaching my children.
No kidding huh? Think that attitude must reflect in an interview? yikes...our kids deserve better.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 07-31-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: :) left out a word...left out some more but can't say them

Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM

OMG Molly, I just looked on a map and saw where calais is. I took a trip to eastport (by plane) and thought the area was really interesting. my geanology is that my family more or less settled Machias. But that is as far down east I have ever been. Is it really that nice? how long have you been there. Did you say you spent some time in Bangor, how was that?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
OMG Molly, I just looked on a map and saw where calais is. I took a trip to eastport (by plane) and thought the area was really interesting. my geanology is that my family more or less settled Machias. But that is as far down east I have ever been. Is it really that nice? how long have you been there. Did you say you spent some time in Bangor, how was that?
Isn't the area great to see by plane?! I grew up in Eastport, left to go to college in Orono, and stayed in the Bangor area until moving back to Eastport in mid '99. I loved the Bangor area, loved is stressed there! We moved back so the kids could spend more time with their grandparents, and luckily we did, because within 5 years they were both gone . Now we live in Calais, but still have a house in Eastport where we spend most of our summer. Being back here took some getting used to, mostly because of the conveniences of living in a larger area, but in reality, I didn't need a grocery store that was open 24 hours. We're almost 2 hours from Bangor now, and spend a couple of days a month there, either shopping, going out to dinner, etc., but the quality of life that is here for the kids is great. Sometimes I wish they had the advantages of being in a high school that offers a greater variety of courses or art/band activities, but there's just no way to have ONLY the advantages.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 AM

25 posts, read 75,885 times
Average Beginning Teacher Salary:$31,703
Average Teacher Salary: $46,597
Average Administrator Salary:$76,050
Elementary School Principals:$75,144
Middle School Principals:$80,060
High School Principals:$86,160

On average, teachers with masters degrees will earn $8,000 to $10,000 more each year than those with only a bachelors degree.

Consequently, in order to attain a position as an administrator, a masters, PhD or Ed D. is required.

On average, Administrators will earn around $30,000 more each year than their hard working, teacher cohorts!

SOURCE: Become a Teacher in Maine - ME -- Teacher Education | Certification | Credentials | Training

Ok, this is really making me a little hot under the collar...
Any of you making this AVERAGE???

If you are fortunate enough to be making 20k+ a year as a teacher, congrats, but people doubting that what I posted was true, need to understand that not everyone makes what is considered the "state average".

If I ever find that dang report, I'll list every position, and what the salaries were, then you can go from there. But I assure you, we found it quite ironic that the principal and the secretaries (administrative assistants) made much more than the teachers. (AA's were in the LOW 30's, high 20's, principal was 40k maybe plus a thousand or two)

any way, ya... love the site, just frustrated

Minimum Salary Maximum Salary
$22,171.00 $34,428.00

source: Staff Data

Still higher than what I saw...

Last edited by ALToons; 08-15-2007 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: more online information

Old 08-15-2007, 06:52 AM

156 posts, read 433,950 times
The big question for me is:

How hard is it to get a teaching job? In FL it was extremely easy due to the population growth, but ME could be different. Does anyone have a clue as to how difficult it would be to get hired in the Metro Portland area?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:06 AM

Altoons. I would take that minimum salary with a grain of salt. 1st it might include ed techs on the same pay plan...who knows? And schools are at liberty to start a teacher on a the pay scale according to his/her experience. But in any case...the top pay is disgusting. But I would bet my life it is not reflective of what the average teacher experiences here in Maine. You have to consider that at least in Androscoggin, Cumberland, york and probably along the coast Maine teachers are paid much much much better then that. Which of course taking all that by itself probably represents the majority of teachers in Maine.

All anyone has to do is call their school dept human resource dept and find out what the starting pay for a cert. teacher is and what the top is. It is all public info. Lew/Aub like I said are at about 30k to 50k and I have to assume places like yarmouth,falmouth,Cumberland,Portland,South Portland, Cape Eliabeth, ect ect ect ect. all pay more. Lewiston is not exactly a white collar town with great financials.

ultimately the SAD or Municapilty are going to be reflective of that areas economic position.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:16 AM

I just called the chelsea school dept and spoke with the supe. The beginning salery for a Ba teacher no exp step 0 is $28,500 and at step 15 is $40,875. If you have a masters degree step 0 is $33,500 and step 15 is $55,100.

*the starting pay is going to aminum of 30k.

like i said....all you have to do is make a phone call. Those figures are the CURRENT contract

Old 08-15-2007, 06:19 PM

shoot flycessna!....we went through all that with what's her/his name! d*mn trolls....

well, it gave us something to talk about anyway

(glad you made that phone call!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine