Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM

885 posts, read 1,487,348 times

Advertisements

I have an unwanted guest under my house. Any way to humanely get him to relocate? My house has been vacant for 2 years so he probably has used it to hibernate each winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:35 AM

461 posts, read 792,197 times
I tried spraying amonia when he would leave at night, they don't like the smell. It worked for me.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
We had luck with mothballs. Like entyss said wait until you're sure they have left or you may get a face full.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,854,834 times
Get some chicken wire. Find the entrance and put down some flour. Go to the opposite end and shove rags saturate it with clorox or somethig along those lines. When you see cute little skunk feet coming out in the flour you know it is time to dig a trench and block that area with the chicken wire. Probably want to do that all around where they can dig in. Drive 'em out, keep 'em out.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,487,348 times
Thats a problem too, I can't find their tracks coming and going.....I assume they leave at night or are they still in hibernation mode?

Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,854,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Thats a problem too, I can't find their tracks coming and going.....I assume they leave at night or are they still in hibernation mode?
They are nocturnal and the warm weather lately (well, before today) may have them up and stirring. Find anyplace they may be getting in and run flour when the ground/weather is dry. May take some doing. Perseverance.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,330,468 times
RTB is right,.. you need to block his/her access or soon you will have a family of the lil stinkers under there. We had one get into our basement. He fell in through an improperly blocked window and couldn't get out so he climbed the stairs. We sure were surprised when we opened the cellar door and there he was looking up at us.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,567,552 times
Put a Havahart trap away from the house and bait it with cat food. He'll trigger the trap. Approach the trap with a plastic tarp or canvas so he won't spray you. Then deal with the situation as you see fit depending on the area where you live.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,196,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Put a Havahart trap away from the house and bait it with cat food. He'll trigger the trap. Approach the trap with a plastic tarp or canvas so he won't spray you. Then deal with the situation as you see fit depending on the area where you live.
Should have added... results may vary...

Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
No way.... those little suckers will spray you through the trap....ask me how I know. If they don't they will surely spray when you transport them. Little ones are Ok but adults are nasty little bast**ds. Contrary to popular belief they don't spray on their tails and then flick it at you. That spray gland is accessible easily and throws a powerful jet of liquid. I have seen it in action DOZENS of times. I'd sooner shoot them than try to trap them but if you do shoot don't stand behind them as they can shoot that green stuff 20 feet or more even as a death act. Driving them away with something smelly works almost every time. Just don't throw it at them and you'll be fine. I have dealt with skunks here every spring for the last 22 years and many more times in other places I have lived and I would NOT use a Have-a heart or any other trap. Trapped animals panic...panicked skunks spray. Your yard or house will stink for weeks. Mothballs work pretty well and just drive them off.
I have only had to exterminate one family of them in all these years when they infiltrated an empty smelt shack of mine and I could not drive them off. I ended up shooting them all and burned the shack afterwards as they had rendered it unusable.
Now a days I just ignore them. They come and eat a little catfood in the garage and then they're gone. I have walked in on them eating out of the cat dish many times and I just shut off the light and go in the house. The only time they spray is if the cat challenges them or they get spooked by something. They are smelly but basically harmless.

Last edited by Maineah; 04-01-2011 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine