U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-10-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
Reputation: 4142
The goal is a series of national parks in each of the the six "biospheres" in Maine. Those national parks in Maine would be connected by "wolf routes" where the wolves could travel undisturbed between the parks to preserve genetic diversity and broaden the gene pools. I share the copyright of the maps of these "biospheres" and would be happy to provide copies.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 AM
 
655 posts, read 1,097,149 times
Reputation: 670
I don't know who the author of this article is, but it being in the Press Herald tells me RQ has a problem... I think it's Mike Michaud. When Chellie Pingree has a problem with this, there are some back room deals going on. I think they are all listening to Michaud. He knows the problems that caused the mills to close. He worked at the East mill for years. Hopefully RQ will try to save some other part of the world instead!

Congressional delegation has concerns about Quimby park proposal | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,513 posts, read 3,369,330 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I don't know who the author of this article is, but it being in the Press Herald tells me RQ has a problem... I think it's Mike Michaud. When Chellie Pingree has a problem with this, there are some back room deals going on. I think they are all listening to Michaud. He knows the problems that caused the mills to close. He worked at the East mill for years. Hopefully RQ will try to save some other part of the world instead!

Congressional delegation has concerns about Quimby park proposal | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

"As for the National Park Service, it's interested in Quimby's proposal but there are fiscal realities as well. For example, Congress authorized the purchase of the Ronald Reagan boyhood home in Illinois in 2002; 10 years later, the park service is still awaiting funding, said David Barna, spokesman for the National Park Service."

10 years later, the park service is still awaiting funding which "we" (read taxpaying citizens) still don't have.

What part of this is not understood?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: God's Country, Maine
2,052 posts, read 2,816,390 times
Reputation: 1269
A north woods park is not going to happen up here, even if the treasury was flush with cash. The National Park system is just an archaic model of 'preservation' held over from the last century. Even worse, is the National Monument system. It is just a land grab similar to that used by the Clintonites to secure the greatest deposit of clean coal from extracation in order to placate their friends in Indonesia. Areas of National Wilderness designation are constantly off limits to motorized vehicles, including sleds.

As it is now up here, Roxanne's lands are posted to motorized vehicles and gated. All her holdings into Elliotsville and Bodfish Valley were shut off for all but foot traffic and a few back ways in. There are no concessions to be made with this crowd that includes the AMC and the Nature conservancy. The cute and cuddly Canadian Lynx habitat and the introduction of the wolf has always been their goal. With that, they can cooperate with the Feds for their wildlife corridors complete with no trespassing by any means other than their own motorized transportation.

The presence of a NW National Park will not mean they will come. We get a large volume of traffic in the summertime. Of the tourists that come up for the first time, about half are bored to tears after the first three days and high tail it to Bar Harbor or Freeport for some civilization and shopping. Those who stay and think they have done it all are amazed at the directions we can give for remote fishing, moose watching, hiking or sightseeing.

These are the folks that keep our business going and keep us from starving all winter. They understand what it takes to make a living up here and are more than happy to support the local economy during their stay. Many are multi generational visitors. Most understand the culture that is the North Woods and are totally against any kind of park or wilderness designation. They love the vast beauty of the region and don't need to be told by some government entity, of the natural splendor that surrounds us!

Freedom, Liberty and the free enterprise protected these woods for generations. Just allow us to continue enjoying the culture and rugged individualism that has sustained this region for hundreds of years. God bless America, 'Home of the Chrysler 440 cubic inch engine!'
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Bangor
23 posts, read 22,648 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
......Freedom, Liberty and the free enterprise protected these woods for generations. Just allow us to continue enjoying the culture and rugged individualism that has sustained this region for hundreds of years. God bless America, 'Home of the Chrysler 440 cubic inch engine!'
Amen!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, but looking for my niche in ME
321 posts, read 218,639 times
Reputation: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Just allow us to continue enjoying the culture and rugged individualism that has sustained this region for hundreds of years.
That's the beauty of debating! I have never thought it that way, and you are right. These woods have in a way or another been preserved by the folks that live there, without any interference from higher powers...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
Reputation: 4142
We Maine landowners have not just preserved the woods. We have increased forested land an average of 77,000 acres a year since 1940. That's an increase of over three townships each and every year for the lat 70 years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
6,474 posts, read 5,094,799 times
Reputation: 3697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We Maine landowners have not just preserved the woods. We have increased forested land an average of 77,000 acres a year since 1940. That's an increase of over three townships each and every year for the lat 70 years.
Is this absolute and verifiable? That means that over 25% of Maine has become forested since 1940. I know that a lot of land has been reforested, but that seems like a large percentage of the State.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Sacramento, CA/Dover-Foxcroft, ME
1,782 posts, read 1,887,978 times
Reputation: 2726
This article confirms what NMLM says: How Old Is Our Forest? from www.baxterstateparkauthority.com

Even my families small property in central Maine used to have about 20-30 acres out of about 100 acres of grazing or crop land for about 100 years until the 70's. Now it's all forest again.

From the article:

"Maine is once again almost 90% forested, but it is a different forest than the one prior to European settlement. Today’s forest is mostly made up of trees less than 100 years old."

"Young trees sprouted up in abandoned farm fields, creating even-aged forests. In fact, most of the forests we see today in southern Maine were once fields."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,657 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Reputation: 8688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
This article confirms what NMLM says: How Old Is Our Forest? from www.baxterstateparkauthority.com

Even my families small property in central Maine used to have about 20-30 acres out of about 100 acres of grazing or crop land for about 100 years until the 70's. Now it's all forest again.

From the article:

"Maine is once again almost 90% forested, but it is a different forest than the one prior to European settlement. Today’s forest is mostly made up of trees less than 100 years old."

"Young trees sprouted up in abandoned farm fields, creating even-aged forests. In fact, most of the forests we see today in southern Maine were once fields."
My town was once all wheat fields. Today it is mostly forested.

A couple years ago I was over near Corinth at Tiltons livestock auction [before they shut down] and was listening to a group of old men talking. They explained how 40 years ago that area was all open field, not a tree in sight out to the horizon. Today the checker-boarding is mostly forest.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top