U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

647 posts, read 995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
A science teacher should have no problems finding a job.

www.servingschools.com - most schools advertise positions here.
Apply for the position listed in this link at Thornton Academy. It's a good school located in Saco, just a hop from Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-11-2011, 05:29 AM

9 posts, read 6,493 times
Many thanks to you all. I had heard about the Provisional certificate but I appreciate the heads up on that. lol...the State Department of Ed giving teachers the run around....familiar everywhere I guess. Can't wait to teach science somewhere in Maine and enjoy the area. To be honest, can't wait to go fishing!!!!!!

Unread 04-11-2011, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 20,350 times
I have a friend who moved here from New York about 10 years ago. It took her awhile to get a teaching job and had to go through the rigamarole with the state department of ed. I asked her about local jobs and she gave me the same information that everyone else has: maybe if you are a math or science teacher. But she did give me another important piece to check into. Maine teachers do not get social security in addition to their pension when they retire. And even worse, people who come into Maine from outside and who have been paying into the social security fund will suddenly stop having social security deducted because anyone who WAS A MAINE TEACHER WON'T GET SOCIAL SECURITY when they retire, even if they paid into the fund somewhere else before. My friend was surprised when this happened to her. Please check into this to find out if its still true before you make the mistake and suddenly lose what might have been a sizable chunk of your retirement income.

Unread 04-11-2011, 07:27 AM

3,469 posts, read 3,049,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicWorker523 View Post
I have a friend who moved here from New York about 10 years ago. It took her awhile to get a teaching job and had to go through the rigamarole with the state department of ed. I asked her about local jobs and she gave me the same information that everyone else has: maybe if you are a math or science teacher. But she did give me another important piece to check into. Maine teachers do not get social security in addition to their pension when they retire. And even worse, people who come into Maine from outside and who have been paying into the social security fund will suddenly stop having social security deducted because anyone who WAS A MAINE TEACHER WON'T GET SOCIAL SECURITY when they retire, even if they paid into the fund somewhere else before. My friend was surprised when this happened to her. Please check into this to find out if its still true before you make the mistake and suddenly lose what might have been a sizable chunk of your retirement income.

MainePERS.org

http://www.msrs.org/

Q. I am (or may be) entitled to receive both a service retirement benefit and Social Security retirement benefits. Do these two benefits affect each other in any way?
A.
The amount of your MainePERS service retirement benefit is not affected by your receipt of Social Security retirement benefits.

If you are eligible to receive Social Security retirement benefits either because you worked in a Social Security-covered job or because your deceased spouse did, the amount of your Social Security benefit may be affected by your receipt of a MainePERS benefit.

To obtain information about the effect receiving MainePERS benefits has on Social Security benefits, please contact SSA directly at www.ssa.gov. You can locate the SSA office nearest you by referring to your local phone book under “United States Government – Health and Human Services.”

Last edited by reloop; 04-11-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: added

Unread 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM

647 posts, read 995,383 times
Windfall Elimination Provision applies to anyone collecting Social Security and a state pension. It's a federal penalty, not imposed by the state, but does apply to anyone collecting a check from Maine Retirement System and Social Security.
Here's the skinny from Social Security Administration.

Windfall Elimination Provision

Unread 04-11-2011, 08:41 AM

5,794 posts, read 7,019,808 times
Two subjects in one post; Two for the price of one:

1. My wife had a tenured position teaching regents English in a very good school outside Maine. We returned to Maine and nobody in our school system had a masters degree, not even the superintendent. They sure didn't want that in their system, but they did hire her as a teacher's aide. She took a 2/3 pay cut to come home to Maine. Now she has two masters degrees, the latest from the University of Maine at Orono.

2. I have a friend who has a military retirement, a retirement from Bell Helicopter and a retirement from the post office. He gets it all. He lives quite comfortably. That said, if the Maine State Retirement System gets their hooks into you, you will not get much social security from those years when you worked under social security in other states.

Unread 04-11-2011, 09:15 AM

23 posts, read 20,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
.....That said, if the Maine State Retirement System gets their hooks into you, you will not get much social security from those years when you worked under social security in other states.
I might be wrong....

but I think that there is a safe zone for Social Security payments. If you have paid into the system for 120 Quarters or 30 years, then you have some hitch that says you cannot have your benefits taken away no matter where you work after the thirty Quarters. I think that there is also a dollar amount you have to make for each quarter, and that has gradually increased with wages since the 50's.

I think the Windfall provision is there because Maine Teachers don't have SS taken out of their paychecks. However, I also believe that you can make a special deal with the SS administration, and send them the correct percentage of each paycheck all by yourself, and then you will have Social Security when you retire. I know that people are trying to get this changed, but it will only affect those who are just starting out. If it does change, it won't help anyone who never paid into the SS system. Its to keep people from getting Social Security payments who never personally paid into the Social Security system.

...but I could be wrong I never had to look into it.

Unread 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
RHB

1,063 posts, read 1,092,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Brunswick enrollment decrease might be in direct relation to the base closure. I know the list of Maines 10 worst schools just came out, they might have some openings for teachers.
It is my understanding that when a school get on the 10 worst list, they need to replace so many administators and teachers to get their funding.

Unread 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM

2,052 posts, read 2,626,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicWorker523 View Post
I might be wrong....

but I think that there is a safe zone for Social Security payments. If you have paid into the system for 120 Quarters or 30 years, then you have some hitch that says you cannot have your benefits taken away no matter where you work after the thirty Quarters. I think that there is also a dollar amount you have to make for each quarter, and that has gradually increased with wages since the 50's.

I think the Windfall provision is there because Maine Teachers don't have SS taken out of their paychecks. However, I also believe that you can make a special deal with the SS administration, and send them the correct percentage of each paycheck all by yourself, and then you will have Social Security when you retire. I know that people are trying to get this changed, but it will only affect those who are just starting out. If it does change, it won't help anyone who never paid into the SS system. Its to keep people from getting Social Security payments who never personally paid into the Social Security system.

...but I could be wrong I never had to look into it.
You could invest that social security money into something that pays!

Unread 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
Celarie -

Both my wife and I are teachers. We grew up in Brunswick, left after college for awhile, and returned to educate and raise our kids here. My wife teaches second grade here in town, and I teach in Gardiner, about 30 mins up I-95.

Brunswick has, I believe, reached its low point in enrollment. Two large private companies have already committed to expanding on or relocating to the former navy base property - Kestrel aircraft, and a pharmaceutical company. Both will bring a workers to the area from outside, and will (hopefully) lure others to do the same. Our high school population is slightly smaller today than it was when I attended in the late 80's, and the elementary and junior high school numbers are actually larger than when I was a student. I'm not a professional demographer by any means, so I could be wrong, but I'm optimistic about the future.

Budget cuts are a fact of life across the state, with some towns being hit harder than others. Yes, Brunswick is taking a hit, but at the high school level, we still offer FAR more programs than other schools where I have taught, namely Gardiner and Portland High. It is a community that values and supports education as best it can during some admittedly difficult times. The "money belt" - Cape Elizabeth, Yarmouth, Cumberland, Falmouth - always seem to have funds for schools and they pay their teachers far better than most other communities. The hiring is extremely competitive, but if you can get in, the financial rewards are there.

Our retirement system is, how do I put this delicately....not real good. Teachers currently pay in a little more than 7% of income. When we retire, we get 45% of health care covered. Other state workers pay in at the same rate (some pay less) and get 100% coverage. If you contributed to SS before becoming a Maine public employee, your SS benefits are reduced for every year that you teach, as others have indicated. I worked for LL Bean for 15 years before I left to become a teacher. If I teach for just a few more years, the rather generous SS benefit I had earned will completely disappear. If instead of teaching, I had opted to sit on my couch and become a burden to society, I could still have my full SS benefit. That irks me. To add insult to injury, a former governor raided the retirement system in the late 80's to shore up the state's operating budget. In order to get the retirement system on more solid footing, our current governor has proposed that teachers kick in an extra 2% next year (and therefater) and have increases to retirement benefits capped at 2% per year; we pay more and get less (again). In other words, we have to repay the money that we "lent" the state. Grrrrrrr.....

I fear that I have come across as being negative. I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea. Maine is a great place to live and teach, provided that you are prepared for the financial realities. It's also a good place to fish- about 6 months a year, anyway. You can get in another three months or so if ice fishing is your thing . Brunswick puts you on top of some great saltwater and freshwater fishing; it's one of the great perks of being a teacher that I get to enjoy. If you want more specifics about the area, let me know.

Good luck in your search and relocation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine