U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maine residents protective of their state, human nature to defend state you live in, opinions should be allowed regarding climate, weather, high low cost of living, employment options

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,740,018 times

Advertisements

Something interesting has been referenced on this forum that I find puzzling and amusing.....I'm just wondering who else has noticed this or if any of you have any insights you'd like to share.

Why is it that when someone posts something negative about Maine, and someone else disagrees with that post, that the person disagreeing is being "sensitive"? How does posting an opposing or differing opinion make someone "sensitive"? Believe me, I'm not speaking of any one particular instance here....this has been going on for a bit...I noticed it first in the whole New Sweden thing.

Do any of you notice this? Does it make any sense to you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 4,322,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Something interesting has been referenced on this forum that I find puzzling and amusing.....I'm just wondering who else has noticed this or if any of you have any insights you'd like to share.

Why is it that when someone posts something negative about Maine, and someone else disagrees with that post, that the person disagreeing is being "sensitive"? How does posting an opposing or differing opinion make someone "sensitive"? Believe me, I'm not speaking of any one particular instance here....this has been going on for a bit...I noticed it first in the whole New Sweden thing.

I don't think this is only in the Maine Forums. I think we could lay this off to human nature!

Some one makes a statement then someone counters it. At this point the original idea guy's pride kicks in and he will charge to his own defense.

Probably the challenge before the posters on any "civil" forum should be ways to post that are non- threatening, or constructive, or always positive ... you get it!. This applies to original posters and responders as well! Sort of a "Let's be kinda gracious to each other" kinda thing! Of course, this would be in an ideal world.

Thanks Molly for your input on the Maine forums !

Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM

18,370 posts, read 23,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

molly, i believe we probably get defensive when we see someone , or perceive them as trashing the state, maybe we take it too personally, because we live in maine,,and of course dont agree with them.
also believe that if someone starts a thread with the equivelant of "maine sucks" it's pretty high profile and many hundreds if not thousands may read that and believe it,,,even if the content is based in ignorance or anger.

it would be like,,say we had a county cd board (forum just in the county we lived) and then we see a last name in the title of a thread, that is the same as yours or mine,, and the thread originator is trashing someone, and altho you dont know them,,,you will probly want to jump to thier rescue,,not only because you have the same last name,,but because YOU ARE ONLY HEARING ONE SIDE OF THE ARGUEMENT, and again it could very well be based on a false premise,,which we dont think is "fair" at all,,that someone can come here and trash and spew.

most of us are proud of this state,,its not perfect, but i believe better than most places,,,and when discussing specific topics you only get a prism of what someone wants to write(when thrashing or trashing the state)
so, whether we are called sensitive or not,,this is an opinion discussion forum,,and if we disagree,,then we have the god given right to disagree,,even if it makes us "sensitive"

also,,when folks from out of state start trashing the state,,,why wouldnt we get a bit defensive,,if they are trashing with a broad brush and thats not our experience,,and we live here,,
think some posters,,,like to stir things up,,,like kids.... negative attention is better than none at all

Old 07-31-2007, 05:56 AM

25 posts, read 69,268 times
Hmmm...

Sensitive?

Well, at least its a civilized way of saying, "you quickly take offense to my statement." With all the trolls that seem to grow over night, I can handle being "sensitive" its the other choice words that would fire me up and cause an overheated reply (Which is the goal of a troll anyway). So IMO, I say sensitive is fine.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM

MBM...nice to see your post!

I think for me, I tend to see the sensitive remark as a personal remark about the opposing poster, rather than about the topic itself. What makes the forum great for me are the varying views, but I don't view someone who disagrees with me as "sensitive".

ALToons, I know what you mean about trolls growing overnight! We're a happy light-hearted board one minute, receiving compliments from other members about how great our Maine forum is, then boom! hit again! But, they'll come and go, we'll still be here

Thanks guys....for keeping things fun. If it weren't, I wouldn't be here!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 PM

7 posts, read 16,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
most of us are proud of this state,,its not perfect, but i believe better than most places

I agree completely, and people can probably still give the impression they are 'sensitive' even if they do or also dont agree with something.

I think being proud & feeling good about the place you live is something common in a place like Maine, unlike many other places in the US where a being in a 'community' is more rare all the time. I think when people care about where they live & want to contribute to that local society, & it's welfare, etc., and of course if they live there for more than a couple years, that makes all the difference & people are also a lot less phony in such a community, cause for one, they often really 'know' each other - imagine that.

This is something people from certain other or many places (I wont give any examples) do not experience, at least as an ongoing type of thing. I don't often hear people in cities defending or countering any negative views, usually they add to it or try to one-up & trash it more than before.

For me it's the impulse I have to 'respond' to a post that may be critical, but mainly from a desire to set the record straight, especially when someone is lacking in a piece of info, or looking at something in a short-sighted or one-sided, narrow way. Someone from a large city wouldn't understand about many things in more rural type or area. I think also in an urban area people are more used to 'complaining' a lot, there's always something to complain about - and then of course in Maine too there must be something to complain about, how could there not be, we'll find something to complain about if it's the last thing we do - rather than seeing something positive, like not being run down when you cross the road, as I heard someone the other day... "how strange 'these people' are to stop for me and even say hello when I crossed main street, and they all drive so darn slow, don't they want to get anywhere today?!"

Also from my experience, in other places such as a city, it's really rude and threatening when you disagree with someone or even share your opinion. Some people expect others to simply agree with them & how dare anyone have a different view. What makes life in a rural area or a community interesting is that people want to know & care about your opinion, at least the people I used to know. They are not only interested in hearing themselves preach & not get an feedback. I've never known a civil debate to make things worse, to me that's how you get somewhere, that's why I like that ol Town Meeting process, which is also a rare thing these days but such a vital part of democracy.

I remember my Grandpa used to say, he'd "have figured it out quicker if he had someone to argue with."

I don't think though that it makes a difference if someone is a "regular" or they are a 'troll' in any given online or offline community, everyone's opinion comes from somewhere & I think it's good & beneficial to be able to understand where it comes from & why someone has the view they do, otherwise I think discussion would be a little more boring.

Happy August, the month I have the most to boast about even if I'm not in Maine!!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 AM

165 posts, read 325,440 times
I'm an "overly sensitive" Mainer, and darn proud of it.

I mean, after living in (can't even recall how many, at the moment) different places and climates, and spending too much of my life in places I hated, I finally had the chance in my life to go for what I really wanted: A simple life, in a beautiful place where things make sense. Whatever else anyone wants to say about Maine - whether about the high/low cost of living, or the mess or the beauty of it, or the ease/hardships of living here - this place is more about the people than anything else. Good, hardworking people who haven't lost sight of the things that matter. Life makes sense here, because of the values of the people.

So there are times when someone comes on here and starts bashing Maine, and I'm defensive - not because I know them to be right, but because I know that there are an awful lot of others out there who dream about what we all have here in Maine, who want to make a go for it for themselves and their families, and will be discouraged by naysayers with an agenda. I don't want anyone who reaches for a dream to be dissuaded by illogic, innuendo, and - at times - out-and-out lies.

The ones who long for what we have are the people we want here.

Hmmm... Guess I'm sounding defensive again, huh?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:34 AM

5,054 posts, read 11,148,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJL View Post

I mean, after living in (can't even recall how many, at the moment) different places and climates, and spending too much of my life in places I hated, I finally had the chance in my life to go for what I really wanted: A simple life, in a beautiful place where things make sense. Whatever else anyone wants to say about Maine - whether about the high/low cost of living, or the mess or the beauty of it, or the ease/hardships of living here - this place is more about the people than anything else. Good, hardworking people who haven't lost sight of the things that matter. Life makes sense here, because of the values of the people.

So there are times when someone comes on here and starts bashing Maine, and I'm defensive - not because I know them to be right, but because I know that there are an awful lot of others out there who dream about what we all have here in Maine, who want to make a go for it for themselves and their families, and will be discouraged by naysayers with an agenda. I don't want anyone who reaches for a dream to be dissuaded by illogic, innuendo, and - at times - out-and-out lies.

Perfectly stated, and exactly how I feel about my new home! It's going to be a life-long dream come true, and we'll take the good and the bad - it's all about the lifestyle change as a whole - and that certainly centers around the people of the place.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJL View Post

I LOVE your post!! and agree entirely

and as soon as I spread around some reputation, I'll be back to rep you for it!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 AM

165 posts, read 325,440 times
I never know what to say when people are so nice.

Thanks.

By the way, for anyone who knows: how many other-reps do we have to make before we can re-rep someone? It gets kind of frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or