Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:50 AM

145 posts, read 337,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones1016 View Post
We just moved to Bangor from Atlanta for many of the same reasons. We love it here. We live close to downtown, close enough to walk. A lot of people ride their bikes to work during the summer. We can walk to the park, downtown and the river. It is perfect for us. We bought a 100 yr old house in a great neighborhood that we are working on renovating.
Good luck.
I am thinking of a move from Atlanta to Maine...I guess you were happy with your decision..do you have kids or spouse and were they as happy as you with the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Maine seems to be an "eco-friendly" state..true?

From what I am seeing Maine appears to be very environmentally conscious. Is that right? Does it try to preserve it's natural areas? People that seem interested in moving there seem to be very natural and organic..any thoughts on this. I am looking to get away from the "subdivision suburban sprawl". I like towns but watching a state plow down forest after forest ..ticks me off. I don't want to live in the boondocks ...I want to visit it for vacation. I can only do that if the country is left alone. I am hoping for a walkable town with a history and a main street not far from Portland area. Someone mentioned Yarmouth. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,025,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygabs View Post
From what I am seeing Maine appears to be very environmentally conscious. Is that right? Does it try to preserve it's natural areas? People that seem interested in moving there seem to be very natural and organic..any thoughts on this. I am looking to get away from the "subdivision suburban sprawl". I like towns but watching a state plow down forest after forest ..ticks me off. I don't want to live in the boondocks ...I want to visit it for vacation. I can only do that if the country is left alone. I am hoping for a walkable town with a history and a main street not far from Portland area. Someone mentioned Yarmouth. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Maine provides tax breaks for for putting land into various categories such as "tree growth", "farm land", "open land" and "conservation. This would appear to be aimed at preserving a natural/managed natural state.

In addition, some towns such as Carmel (just west of Bangor) impose zoning restrictions where, outside of the recognized business district lot sizes must not be less than a certain amount, in order to help maintain a less industrialed/suburban atmosphere (Carmel stipulates that lot sizes must not be less than two acres, and any proposed sub-division of larger lots of land must meet numerous other criteria).

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the reply , Zymer!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,050,202 times
Maine also has land conservation and preservation programs, designed to conserve and preserve, of course!, but to allow for public enjoyment and access of those lands as well---Land for Maine's Future, and Maine Coast Heritage Trust are two of the programs.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,374,353 times
Just one of the many MANY reasons we're headed to Maine! The way of life you guys are fighting to preserve is priceless. I'm coming to join the fight!!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:25 AM

Last Fall I looked at a piece of property in Littleton. It was very nice, well wooded with two streams running through it. I had a lot more to look at and said I would be back in the Spring, if it was still available.

When I went back, I found that over the Winter he had cut down wide swaths of trees and turned the ground into deep ruts. He wanted more money than he had said before. I told him that he'd ruined it and now it wasn't worth even half of what he had been asking then. It was a sad thing to see.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,494,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Last Fall I looked at a piece of property in Littleton. It was very nice, well wooded with two streams running through it. I had a lot more to look at and said I would be back in the Spring, if it was still available.

When I went back, I found that over the Winter he had cut down wide swaths of trees and turned the ground into deep ruts. He wanted more money than he had said before. I told him that he'd ruined it and now it wasn't worth even half of what he had been asking then. It was a sad thing to see.
It is sad. Why do some people assune that "progress" means destroying natural beauty. I am definitely glad there are more people in Maine that feel the way we do.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,050,202 times
some people see that wood and see dollar signs....it is sad! At the same time though, the land was for sale, it didn't sell, maybe something happened where he really needed the money so he had the wood harvested.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
some people see that wood and see dollar signs....it is sad! At the same time though, the land was for sale, it didn't sell, maybe something happened where he really needed the money so he had the wood harvested.
Yes, he was selling the wood, cutting it himself. He had been building a house, the shell had been built by some Amish people and trucked in but he never finished the interior. He was too busy baiting deer and fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine