U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:54 AM

10,381 posts, read 10,138,278 times
teenagers have always been rebellious,,many of us were also,,,

but the "in your face stupidity" was never tolerated when i was a kid,,,,my parents wouldnt let me out of the house dressed like many teens today,,the whole baggy jeans and rap look,,, does make me laugh,,,but its sad ,,someone actually paid money to look that way..
i may get rocks thrown at me,,,but i do believe,,,much of the teens today,,,have never been disciplined ,,and taught manners (by thier parents)
it all starts at home,,and yes,,half the adult population is divorced,,but thats no excuse,,for letting your kids run wild,,and being too lazy or self-centered,,to teach proper manners and respect,,

the other aspect,,,is thier are parents,,that just automatically, question and undermine all authority,,(which this is america you can do this) but kids pick this up also,,and go far beyond "questioning" everyone is in a cult,, the government is evil,,,patriotism,,,is wrong, hooray for me and f-you attitudes,,
ive seen this first-hand,,use to hire many around 18-22 yrs old,
and every once in a while..along comes a very decent, hard-working, well mannered kid,, and that kid could be the son/daughter of a single working mother,,who insisted on manners and respect,,, and has taught them,,that thier ticket,,to nice things in this world,,is to work hard and stay focused,,
those kids will have doors open to them, far beyond the goth,,,kids with 24 earrings in her head/face..

Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 AM

254 posts, read 749,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

but the "in your face stupidity" was never tolerated when i was a kid,,,,my parents wouldnt let me out of the house dressed like many teens today,,the whole baggy jeans and rap look,,, does make me laugh,,,but its sad ,,someone actually paid money to look that way..
i may get rocks thrown at me,,,but i do believe,,,much of the teens today,,,have never been disciplined ,,and taught manners (by thier parents)
it all starts at home,,and yes,,half the adult population is divorced,,but thats no excuse,,for letting your kids run wild,,and being too lazy or self-centered,,to teach proper manners and respect,,

the other aspect,,,is thier are parents,,that just automatically, question and undermine all authority,,(which this is america you can do this) but kids pick this up also,,and go far beyond "questioning" everyone is in a cult,, the government is evil,,,patriotism,,,is wrong, hooray for me and f-you attitudes,,
and every once in a while..along comes a very decent, hard-working, well mannered kid,, and that kid could be the son/daughter of a single working mother,,who insisted on manners and respect,,, and has taught them,,that thier ticket,,to nice things in this world,,is to work hard and stay focused,,
those kids will have doors open to them, far beyond the goth,,,kids with 24 earrings in her head/face..
Very well said. No stones from me. In fact I'll go a step further and say it is never too late for any of us older adults to humble up and reconcile our errors with our children. Gather them up and have a good ole fashioned family meeting and say "you know what? I made some mistakes before you made them- you took my errors and ran with them and I forgive you, will you forgive me?" you know a little mush, if thatís what its called (sincerity needed)Then all agree to stop feeling sorry for yourselves and agree to support one another and go forward from that point on and always seek the highest common denominator in our natures and not the lowest. Consider one another in community spirit rather than only whets best for "me".

I guess I'm preaching. My point is made so I'll stop.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:44 PM

228 posts, read 8,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Maybe our youth are watching what our police,judges and DA's are doing and are following by thier examples.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,608,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Maybe our youth are watching what our police,judges and DA's are doing and are following by thier examples.
You feel that all police, judges, and DA's are corrupt, then?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
You feel that all police, judges, and DA's are corrupt, then?
That is not at all what I am saying. If you go to my other threads you will see that my complaints are abot three people in position A police officer that was given a OUI, A judge that think's 30 day's in jail is enough time for a person who stole from elderly people who could not defend themselves, and a DA who say's his office does not try people in the newspaper!!(Does he think we don't read paper's!!).I started this thread about three week's ago and people have been telling me to give examples well when I do they seem to want me to go away.I will never stop telling the truth. Oh and by the way I would like to commend Sgt. Eric Erickson, Officer Larry Fickett and the Chief of PIPD for making sure it is justice for all even if you are a police officer!!GREAT JOB GUY'S

Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
That is not at all what I am saying. If you go to my other threads you will see that my complaints are abot three people in position A police officer that was given a OUI, A judge that think's 30 day's in jail is enough time for a person who stole from elderly people who could not defend themselves, and a DA who say's his office does not try people in the newspaper!!(Does he think we don't read paper's!!).I started this thread about three week's ago and people have been telling me to give examples well when I do they seem to want me to go away.I will never stop telling the truth. Oh and by the way I would like to commend Sgt. Eric Erickson, Officer Larry Fickett and the Chief of PIPD for making sure it is justice for all even if you are a police officer!!GREAT JOB GUY'S
I also have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. Who is suppose to watch our people in position in Maine? Who check's on them to make sure they are being legal? Who check's on them to make sure they are doing thier job's? And if they do something illegal do we put them on leave and still keep paying them a paycheck? And who is going to make sure our elderly are protected?I would appreciate any help in answer's to these question's.Thank's

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 7,803,108 times
It's called Democracy. If YOU have a problem with it, YOU can do something about it. Get involved, raise your voice - not to us, but to someone who has the authority to make a difference in the situation in your area. Sounds to me like you need to study government and then put your passions to good use. It will help you as a person and will help your community if you have valid concerns that need to be addressed. You obviously have a voice, and you have strong convictions, so put them to work!

When was the last time you attended a City Council meeting to voice your concerns? If you won't do that, then you have no right to complain. That's just the truth, LTTT.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM

165 posts, read 13,618 times

Last edited by MsJL; 08-25-2007 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 AM

378 posts, read 714,730 times
Default you are both right

It is NEVER too late. I don't know about you but I just about went poor to be at every function my children ever attended. I missed exactly ONE in third grade and was never quite forgiven. (it was a school play, pretty big stuff and yep I still feel guilty)
Did you know that it is commonly believed that once a woman has children that her slide into poverty has begun if she should become divorced? I find that abhorrent.
At any rate, my family is big on 'being there'..

I can't tell you the # of times I have caught a sidelong glance (STILL!!!) from any family member who was performing .... that sidelong glance that said, "wow, YOU'RE HERE". Of course, that entailed a bit of explanation of why we don't have the biggest SUV on the block and why we prefer home-cooking and why .... we don't have the condo on the beach AND the fancy home AND the ... bells and whistles. But, that's okay.

That sidelong glance can't be bought.

It's EVERYTHING.
I think that's what they mean when they say that half of life is 'showing up'.
Those kids want to please you. Underneath all of that they ARE YOU at that age. Confident sometimes, a squirming mass of insecurity at others.

But that sidelong glance .... that's what you're here for.

Just be there. Doesn't matter if you're the mom, dad, employer ..... just be there.
Well, I'm not preachy but I'm crying now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see hope for children.
They're what we've got.
Our treasure on the mountain.
All of us are what we've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
Very well said. No stones from me. In fact I'll go a step further and say it is never too late for any of us older adults to humble up and reconcile our errors with our children. Gather them up and have a good ole fashioned family meeting and say "you know what? I made some mistakes before you made them- you took my errors and ran with them and I forgive you, will you forgive me?" you know a little mush, if thatís what its called (sincerity needed)Then all agree to stop feeling sorry for yourselves and agree to support one another and go forward from that point on and always seek the highest common denominator in our natures and not the lowest. Consider one another in community spirit rather than only whets best for "me".

I guess I'm preaching. My point is made so I'll stop.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:58 AM

378 posts, read 714,730 times
Default I do have an answer for that

It's the job of a functional free press to provide oversight. A reporter should be digging. Someone assigned to these matters. Courts, etc.... There are aldermen and such but many times these folks are appointed by those who don't WANT to be watched.

Better answer: it's ALL of our jobs.
I don't mind lttt commentary. Sometimes the squeaks start small and don't effect everyone. Then it's your turn and people like lttt were just the first to feel the discomfort and you have a vague memory of 'oh, this is what that guy was talking about ....'.

It's the same in many places, lttt. We've got to swing it back by continuing to give it attention. It's perhaps true that THIS board may not be the best place for that. OR, a thread that contains this so people can choose or not to reply. Just a thought.

Quote:
I also have a few questions maybe someone can answer for me. Who is suppose to watch our people in position in Maine? Who check's on them to make sure they are being legal? Who check's on them to make sure they are doing thier job's? And if they do something illegal do we put them on leave and still keep paying them a paycheck? And who is going to make sure our elderly are protected?I would appreciate any help in answer's to these question's.Thank's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine