U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,023,634 times

Advertisements

Seems a bit quick but it seems like good news for a change. And from MPBN no less.

Report: Maine Business Climate For New Investments Best in the Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,919,277 times
I'm not surprised. We have a good governor and a pro-business Legislature now. About time!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM

323 posts, read 526,364 times
If you read the article, the ranking has nothing to do with the current administration.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,401,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm not surprised. We have a good governor and a pro-business Legislature now. About time!!!
Quote: "People say what's people's view of us from away -- they don't think about us! They just don't. We're not California, we're not Texas -- we're not top of mind," said Matt Jacobsen. He markets Maine as place to do business as president and CEO of Maine & Company in Portland and has been doing damage control since the release of the Forbes report. "When we do get in the paper and it's bad, it's really awful because it'll be the only story they read about us," said Jacobsen said. "It's an attention-goer, it can work in your favor in terms of perception it gets you in the door," said Dana Connors, President of the Maine State Chamber. According to Connors, the fact that an accounting firm as respected as Ernst & Young did the report will add credibility when he makes pitches to companies and their consultants."

Big surprise there.

-- "we're not top of mind" because we're the rest of the United States' playground IMHO. Remember, we still have the North Maine Woods.

"Open for business" has little to do with it as far as I can tell.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,063,646 times
relocating a business has much to do about anything and everything.. But I would argue the single most destructive factor when it comes to turning away business is our demographics.. or at least its our demographics tied with our geographical location.. But we cant do anything about our location..

A state wants good business, hi-tech and manufacturing to come to provide jobs and bring money INTO the state.... Companies that employee a lot of people with specific skills need a population of people to fill those jobs..

Sadly I think most of us that live here, and whether we love this state or not.. have to admitt that we are lacking a large population of people with either a strong education and or specific skill sets.. at least on a large scale..

interesting report though..

Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,781,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Sadly I think most of us that live here, and whether we love this state or not.. have to admit that we are lacking a large population of people with either a strong education and or specific skill sets.. at least on a large scale..
Demographically, Maine has one of the highest amounts of college educated in the nation. However, as has been said before, this number needs to be looked at. Large numbers of highly educated people who live in Maine are retired and are not interested in working. Also, specific skill sets might be the problem too.

But the key here might be the concentration of skill. A corporation which wants to bring in a factory, will need a large number of certain skill sets in a limited geographical area. This will be difficult to put together, unless the Maine Government tailors their encouragement of business to some narrow specific areas, and then specifically trains the population to address them. Maine State government might want to make Maine the center for some kind of work, such as we have in semi-conductors in Southern California. This would help to make it significant and focused on job creation in a small population state with a large geographical area.

Good Luck with the politics of that!

With a total population of less than greater Philadelphia, the concentration of skill sets will be difficult to find in the population unless they are willing to move, or unless they can bring their labor force with them, or unless they are willing to train the workforce. Maine people generally like where they live and don't want to move south or somewhere else, they want industry to move to them.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Demographically, Maine has one of the highest amounts of college educated in the nation. However, as has been said before, this number needs to be looked at. Large numbers of highly educated people who live in Maine are retired and are not interested in working. Also, specific skill sets might be the problem too.

But the key here might be the concentration of skill. A corporation which wants to bring in a factory, will need a large number of certain skill sets in a limited geographical area. This will be difficult to put together, unless the Maine Government tailors their encouragement of business to some narrow specific areas, and then specifically trains the population to address them. Maine State government might want to make Maine the center for some kind of work, such as we have in semi-conductors in Southern California. This would help to make it significant and focused on job creation in a small population state with a large geographical area.

Good Luck with the politics of that!

With a total population of less than greater Philadelphia, the concentration of skill sets will be difficult to find in the population unless they are willing to move, or unless they can bring their labor force with them, or unless they are willing to train the workforce. Maine people generally like where they live and don't want to move south or somewhere else, they want industry to move to them.
Very true! and I knew that, I just forgot about it. Maine is the oldest state in the nation.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,460,163 times
We still got tons of old ladies in head nets that can snip the head off and gut a sardine in a millisecond!
There just aren't any canning plants left, or wollen mills, or shoe shops, or furniture manufacturers, or forest products....see a trend?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,401,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We still got tons of old ladies in head nets that can snip the head off and gut a sardine in a millisecond!
There just aren't any canning plants left, or wollen mills, or shoe shops, or furniture manufacturers, or forest products....see a trend?
Exactly.

There are also a whole lot of self-employed people who can fix, repair, or fabricate just about anything. Unfortunately, people aren't spending money on much of anything right now due to the economy.

It's a throw-away society who also seems to have an acute addiction to people-replacing technology at the lowest possible cost to them IMO.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Last time I went into the Mcdonalds in Auburn at least 80% of the workers in there were ladies past retirement age... that was a while ago and I must have caught them on and odd day... But just the other day going through the check out at Walmart I noticed at least a 3rd of the cashiers were the same age group...

But when ever I drive through downtown thats when I get to see all the 20 somthings hanging around...............smoking........ ??looking?? for work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or