Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine: cost of living, homeschool, job market, sell our house quick, children.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:04 PM

16 posts, read 60,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Okay I just can't stand this anymore you people are talking like living in Maine is heaven! I sort of understand it about 20 year's ago I felt the same way! I was born in Caribou Maine and went to Phoenix Az. for 6 and a half years. At the time I hated Az. couldn't wait to get back to Maine. Well I've been back about 20 year's now and what I use to hate about Az now I would die for . I was never robbed in Az. I had to come back to Maine for that to happen! Oh yes people are "friendly up here" only because they want someone to gossip about later! Give me neighbors that live there own life and stay out of mine! And forget calling the police when you ask them if there going to take fingerprints they tell you ,you watch to much TV they don't do that up here.And don't trust these people or you will be very dissappointed I know I am and as soon as I can move I am going to.
Thank you for the forewarning. I just have to say that we are not seeing Maine as Heaven. We are looking at the things we have always wanted, dreamed about and we did get some of that in the Mid west. Here in Phx, Az we miss the seasons, we have not been robbed either and we are not living in fear just the reality of the situation here. We are not moving to escape but rather to embrace a new way of living. We don't believe that there is any perfect place to live. WE have encountered those that gossip no matter where we live and have clearly come to the conclusion that those people are miserable in their own life and chose to make others look that way too. Unfortunately, that comes no matter where you live. I truly am sorry for your misfortune with that, I just don't think that there is anyway to completely avoid that. WE are seeking out everything we can so that we can make an educated and informed decision. Our dream is to own and run a
B & B, it has been for many years now. We could have sought that out in the midwest but chose not to, just not busy enough there. Hard to get people to come and tour the corn fields.

We have our family to think about and consider in this, four daughters and my dad we take care of. We do want to know the truth about the place. We are in the process of evaluating what we truly want, what we are willing to give up and what we will not compromise on. It is not an easy decision no matter who you are and where you are considering moving to/from. I hope that you will have complete peace and happiness wherever you decide to move, I know that is what we long for too. If you have any other truths that would be helpful to us please feel free to share them, we are not on the defensive at all, just open to what anyone has to say. We want to make our next move with our eyes wide open as to the pros and cons of what is to come. Then after that it is our responsibilty to make the most of the decision we have made and do what we can to experience life there for awhile. WE have learned to never look at any move as permanent. I thought that I would own the same house in the midwest my whole life, raise my kids and have my grandkids come there for visits. We now know that this was not meant to be for our family. Our biggest vacations seem to be when we pick up and move to a new state! Maybe we should look at this move as a min 3 year vacation and just see what happens, it seems much easier than having a permanent mind set about where and how long to live somewhere.

Be Blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Okay I just can't stand this anymore you people are talking like living in Maine is heaven! I sort of understand it about 20 year's ago I felt the same way! I was born in Caribou Maine and went to Phoenix Az. for 6 and a half years. At the time I hated Az. couldn't wait to get back to Maine. Well I've been back about 20 year's now and what I use to hate about Az now I would die for . I was never robbed in Az. I had to come back to Maine for that to happen! Oh yes people are "friendly up here" only because they want someone to gossip about later! Give me neighbors that live there own life and stay out of mine! And forget calling the police when you ask them if there going to take fingerprints they tell you ,you watch to much TV they don't do that up here.And don't trust these people or you will be very dissappointed I know I am and as soon as I can move I am going to.
I can't at all understand why you're having such a difficult time. It's seems like you'd be so easy to get along with.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
20 years is a long time to stay in a place you hate so!

Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM

228 posts, read 220,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I can't at all understand why you're having such a difficult time. It's seems like you'd be so easy to get along with.
Thank's Moolysmiles you are right I am easy to get along with.Maybe it's because I like telling the truth even if some people don't like to hear it.Let's tell everyone about our crime rate. Or do we not have crime in Maine. In Caribou a girl was killed in our Tim Horton's and a couple of year's ago a coach killed himself, his wife and two children and let's not forget the church in New Sweeden! I don't know what Maine your living in but these are thing's that happened in Maine

Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
20 years is a long time to stay in a place you hate so!
You are right it has been a long time.Both of my parent's have passed away they where what kept me here now I can leave.But what has kept me here where my responsibilities.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Responsabilities took us from Maine. Our friends and neighbors there are what's bringing us back. As soon as I told a friend I wanted to move home they started looking for a place for us to live, went to check out properties for us and made certain we knew we were wanted. I am lucky to have met some of the best most caring people and am looking forward to going home.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Responsabilities took us from Maine. Our friends and neighbors there are what's bringing us back. As soon as I told a friend I wanted to move home they started looking for a place for us to live, went to check out properties for us and made certain we knew we were wanted. I am lucky to have met some of the best most caring people and am looking forward to going home.
There are good people here but the people who run Caribou are making it near impossible for us to stay. On the road I live on there are 4 people who have permit's to carry a handgun and 3 people who have survalance camera's set up on there properties because the justice system up here is useless.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Responding to Let's tell the Truth:

Again I thank you for your honesty about what goes on where you live. I would like to make note that what you stated happened in your area over the last year is what we see and hear happening multiple times a day here in Phx. We live in a suburb of 230,000 people called Chandler. It is a nice upper middle class area, we have a serial rapist on the loose who has been out there for over a year and this is supposedly one of the safest areas in which we live. Also, there are many who chose to come here with no intentions of gaining legal access and they choose not to abide by the law in other things as well. I am all for coming to the Land of the Free but I would never go to another country and demand my rights to do as I please. WE have people standing on our street corners waiting to be hired for the day and some of them go so far as to jump out in front of vehicles to taunt passers by and have caused many accidents, not to mention scaring women and children to death. Again, I am not against anyone wanting to be here to make a better life for themselves but unfortunately we are dealing with many who are choosing to defy our laws. Also, down here "Anyone" can carry a concealed weapon! You never know what you are coming up against. Traffic is terribly congested and there are tragic accidents every single day of the week.

Based on your info we have determined that we should not look too closely at Caribou, so thank you for that. I hope that we have helped you get a better picture of the area we live in as well. WE all need to be realistic about where we are looking live. WE will have to give up some things to gain others and it is just a matter of what is important to each of us. If you have any questions about AZ. We won't be entirely negative about this place, we would be happy to help you if we can.

Be Blessed.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Itsadryheat:

We moved from a small town, Gray, Me, to Ahwatukee 12 years ago.

I understand your desire for wanting to move to Maine. However, for the sake of your daughters, may I suggest you live in the outskirts of Portland. Consider Windham, Scarborough, West Falmouth.

It appears you are originally from the midwest. With all due repect, Midwesterners are a totally different breed than upper northern Northeasterners. Forgive the generalization, but I have noticed a big difference in sense/type of humor, level and type of sarcasm/witand social etiquette. Maine is really not at all like Iowa. Perhaps visit Maine several times before you actually pull up and move there permanently.

Best of luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

Thank you Moughie

We will certainly take what you have said into consideration.

Thank you for the info. We truly want to do what is best for our family, just not sure what that is right now. Being from Maine, how do you like your life here in AZ? WE have been here 3 years, maybe we haven't given it enough time? WE had even looked at the town of Williams up by the Grand Canyon because we thought that we might be able to open a B & B there since there are tourists throughout the year.

THank you again,
Be Blessed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine