Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Bangor. Very nice people. I remember flying in from Desert Storm when I was in the service and our plane stopped there to refuel. Seemed like the whole town was there in the airport to welcome troops coming back. They will always have a special place in my heart
Yes, I saw a film clip on the Bangor residents welcoming the troops home, very moving! What an amazing community!

A Bangor trip is on my radar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 11:46 AM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I retired to Gorham Maine and have lived here for 3 years.....I really like it! I also like Saco.....which is a bit bigger than Gorham.....I could live happily in either. Saco has some lovely residential neighborhoods and a charming "down town" and active cultural life.....Gorham is a bit sleepier....but is close to everything. Both towns are well served medically and I could imagine growing older and remaining in either for the duration.

These are communities that put the word "neighbor" back into "neighborhood"; folks are friendly and welcoming and non-judgemental. You can chat with store keepers, volunteer, participate in activities and events and walk about without fear of crime.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I retired to Gorham Maine and have lived here for 3 years.....I really like it! I also like Saco.....which is a bit bigger than Gorham.....I could live happily in either. Saco has some lovely residential neighborhoods and a charming "down town" and active cultural life.....Gorham is a bit sleepier....but is close to everything. Both towns are well served medically and I could imagine growing older and remaining in either for the duration.

These are communities that put the word "neighbor" back into "neighborhood"; folks are friendly and welcoming and non-judgemental. You can chat with store keepers, volunteer, participate in activities and events and walk about without fear of crime.
Just curious...where did you move from and why did you choose Gorham? Are you a retired senior? Is there a senior center that might have van service? And, since I do prefer some natural foods, how close is that kind of market?
I did a quick realtor.com search on Gorham and found some charming small houses, but the prop taxes are high on these inexpensive homes. Do you feel that?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Just curious...where did you move from and why did you choose Gorham? Are you a retired senior? Is there a senior center that might have van service? And, since I do prefer some natural foods, how close is that kind of market?
I did a quick realtor.com search on Gorham and found some charming small houses, but the prop taxes are high on these inexpensive homes. Do you feel that?
My partner and I moved here from San Diego County California.....but we had moved out there from the east when we retired.....I had ties to Maine and other New England states and he had lived in NYC for many years. Neither of us liked CA life....and wanted to return to the NE. Since I have family living in Southern Maine....we started looking around Saco, Kennebunk, Scarborough, Buxton, Portland, Falmouth, Gorham. We did check on line lots of other regions of the state.....but really prefered southern Maine.

We had two criteria.......that it be near an indoor tennis court and that it be close to a Unitarian-Universalist Church.....that met both of our most singular requirements. We hoped to find a welcoming community....not politically reactionary.....and one that offered peace and quiet and beauty and charm. Proximity to the ocean or to lakes was also a consideration....as well as health care...cultural....amenities.

I don't think Gorham has any van service....altho I am old enough and getting older.....I am still pretty active....and my partner "is an excellent driver". (RainMan quote).

There is a Hannaford supermarket in town....it has a natural food dept but it is not a Whole Foods type place......downtown has the Hannaford, several banks, a CVS drug store...several fast food resturants and a couple of sit down lunch places.....as well as hair salon, insurance...art supply and a book store. There is a nice bed and breakfast Inn.

Gorham is a commuter community; being retired the traffic isnt a problem for us.....but for folks working in Portland ..... it is an issue.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Hmmmn, interesting info. Have you been to Gardiner and if so how would you compare it to Gorham?

Here where I live in Western New England, lots and lots of people over 60 who had bought rural land and homes in their 20s and 30s are now coming up on their 70s. I'm curious to know how living in outlying areas is going to impact on them esp those who need healthcare visits and see driving a problem in the next 10 years.

I love Maine, but all the places I visited are many miles between places. I think, as some posters suggested, that Bangor might be the most likely place if I ever do decide to move (that would be in maybe 5 yrs)>

Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM

If you are worrying about people in lower or western New England, driving up to visit you in Maine.....going to Bangore adds quite a bit to their travels. When I lived in NH my parents moved to Eastport.....and then to Dexter....I considered those drives to be way way too far.....a real obstacle to visiting. I tried to do it no more than once a year.....until they got sick and I had to go up and stay over.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hmmmn, interesting info. Have you been to Gardiner and if so how would you compare it to Gorham?

Here where I live in Western New England, lots and lots of people over 60 who had bought rural land and homes in their 20s and 30s are now coming up on their 70s. I'm curious to know how living in outlying areas is going to impact on them esp those who need healthcare visits and see driving a problem in the next 10 years.

I love Maine, but all the places I visited are many miles between places. I think, as some posters suggested, that Bangor might be the most likely place if I ever do decide to move (that would be in maybe 5 yrs)>
This state is miles from itself. Bangor and suroounding area is a good "jumping off" point for it all though, IMHO. We lived there for awhile and loved it. Fairly centered and only a few hours from most anywhere.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:40 PM

When I go to the symphony in Portland I see lots of vans from senior communities bringing their residents there for the concert.......I have a relative who lives in one of those communities that are set up to provide a continuim of services from your own home to home health services to apartments with meal plans and nursing services available prn.....and nursing home care. I dont know the finances etc....but several of them are in really beautiful settings with ocean views and an active social life...and like I say.....transport services. I think they provide a real alternative for seniors....that support independance but are available to assist as needed.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
China, Belgrade, Unity, Belfast, Camden. Unity is an interesting area. You are central to Bangor, Waterville, Belfast (ocean). The town has a new Amish community, MOFGA, they also have a small lake area, beautiful park, performing arts center, small college, a healthcare center, small grocery store...the intown homes are very nice older homes. All in all, it's a well kept town. I lived there for 25 years.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
I'd choose Starks and the surrounding area. They worship marijuana there and have a full automatic machine gun shoot in the sand pit every year. Talk about CULTCHA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine