Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:10 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
A rose by any other name.... If it is a structure it should have a permit and is taxable when ( although, if) found. Semantics is generally irrellevent. (Awww how the heck do you spell that????)
ir·rel·e·vant/iˈreləvənt/

Adjective: Not connected with or relevant to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
At a class Last Tuesday the DEP rep said that in calculating lot coverage even ledge was brought into the picture. I knew they considered paving stones and picnic tables as "structures but ledge?!
Paving stones are 'structures'?

Picnic tables are 'structures'?

Defining those two items as 'structures' defies my idea of 'common sense'. I didn't ever have much tolerance for this sort of stupidity, I have even less now. If the time ever comes when someone tries to give me any crap about what I do on my own property, it's going to hit the fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Defining those two items as 'structures' defies my idea of 'common sense'. I didn't ever have much tolerance for this sort of stupidity, I have even less now. If the time ever comes when someone tries to give me any crap about what I do on my own property, it's going to hit the fan.
A pond is a structure too.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:

Any impervious matter ie considered a structure by the DEP. If the ran/stormwater cannot penetrate and pass into the ground then they do not like it. Strange but true.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:43 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Why the focus on DEP and not tax assessors?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
"...Now let's say that I wish to have flush toilets in each one of these cabins (I, along with my father and father-in-law would be fine with compost toilets but the womenfolk of the family feel differently )."

I assume you know they make composting toilets that are also flush toilets, and resemble flush toilets for all intents and purposes as far as the end-user is concerned (your family). Only real difference is they are extremely low-flow (use a very small quantity of water). Since the water is not discharged into the ground (it gets heated which releases it as vapor), it should not come under the fold of the states septic laws (assuming composting toilets are permissible).

That would seem to kill two birds with one stone, no? The women get what they want, flush toilets..... and you get as much septic as you want, for as many buildings on your lot as your little heart desires.... you probably won't ever run afoul of the septic requirements since they likely don't apply. Problem solved. Now you just have to worry about (a) how you can legally 'scam' the building angle, and (b) consider what you you will do if the women start demanding some form of running water. That'll bring you right back to the septic problem again, as now you'll have gray water issues.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why the focus on DEP and not tax assessors?
The DEP is a bigger thorn; odd rules that do not seem to make sense unless you are sitting behind a desk. I've listened to State Assessors talking of week long camping and hiking trips looking for buildings in the UT. Sometimes it's years before they find a certain place other times they know just where to look. And if and eho to take for backup going in. Quite a few "war stories" get told in August at the get-togethers.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
They use satellite photos and they travel shorelines taking pictures of properties. The census is very good at this. They went in on snowshoes to hang a census form on my camp door. They mapped "every structure where a human could find shelter". It's for our own good you know.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 AM

[quote=Northern Maine Land Man;19394330]They use satellite photos and they travel shorelines taking pictures of properties. The census is very good at this. They went in on snowshoes to hang a census form on my camp door. They mapped "every structure where a human could find shelter". It's for our own good you know.[/quote]

1. We're from the government. We're only here to help.

2. The check is in the mail.

3. Nope. Can't write that one.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They use satellite photos and they travel shorelines taking pictures of properties. The census is very good at this. They went in on snowshoes to hang a census form on my camp door. They mapped "every structure where a human could find shelter". It's for our own good you know.
Ah, yes, for our own good.

Sounds like a violation of constitutional rights---> Illegal search- no warrant.

Seems to me that there are some laws against that sort of thing, lets see, oh, yes...Title 18 USC, Chap. 13, Sec. 241 & 242 "Conspiracy Against Rights", of particular note is the proscription against such violations "under color of law".

Penalties are pretty hefty too, Federal Felony- 10yrs imprisonment, $250K fine (death penalty in certain instances).

Old 06-01-2011, 09:42 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, for our own good.

Sounds like a violation of constitutional rights---> Illegal search- no warrant.
I'm pretty sure the DEP, LURC, and local town officials are using arial photos, not satellite photos. James Sewall Co in Old Town has a thriving business providing arial photos to folks that do land management. It's also not illegal for anyone to fly over property and take pictures, and those pictures can be used for law enforcement which is what LURC or the DEP would be doing. A photo showing no improvements compared to a photo showing an improvement that records show was not legally permitted would be grounds for an investigation I'm pretty sure...and the law wins that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: