Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
And, I kind of need to know how to get home correctly because that job hired me. Still waiting on background check and then I start. So, yah, sure would be nice to know how to get home. LOL!
I can show you around a little if you like. I would have suggested that my wife do it, but she had recently had surgery and is out of state recovering and waiting for results and follow-ups.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 AM

16,591 posts, read 15,520,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I can show you around a little if you like. I would have suggested that my wife do it, but she had recently had surgery and is out of state recovering and waiting for results and follow-ups.
That was kind of you to offer. (Of course, I already know you make kind offers of help.) Hope your wife's recovery goes well.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM

30,141 posts, read 23,530,498 times
Sent you a PM, Zymer. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,717,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
The main thing I love is how quiet it is. So. Nice. Sure, I live on a well used road and I can hear cars but no one is blaring on their horns and only yesterday I heard some bass boom thumping...but it took three weeks to hear ONE car like that. The nights are incredibly quiet. For someone who has been around a lot of noise, while I love that it's quiet, I'm not used to that...had to get a fan for some white noise. haha But, man, it's so quiet. I can't get over it. I love it.

Anyway, so far, almost everything is cheaper so that's also something very nice. Of course, it depends on where you come from. For me, after living in Miami and Seattle, this is WAY cheaper.

People on the road are courteous, for the most part. I'd say 98% of them are very courteous. The other day, I was at a four way stop, it wasn't my turn to go but the lady who was up waved me on. My jaw almost hit the floor. What a difference! You mean I not only don't have to fight for my turn but I'm getting a free jump ahead?

The people have been extremely nice. Businesses are happy to see you. When they say they will do something, they do it when they say they will or before. They are very helpful and I've met a lot of jokesters here...

This may seem "normal" to a lot of people but after living in a dog eat dog city, this is so refreshing.

Traffic is nothing. I even went to Acadia, twice, on Memorial Day weekend and the traffic was nothing, for me. There were more cars out and some of them drove reallllllly slow but it was still nothing compared to what I'm used to driving in.

Been figuring out my way around things and it seems pretty easy. There are three main exits for me to take to get to almost everything: Union, Stillwater and Broadway. They are all within a mile of each other. So finding things has been relatively easy.

The only things that are a little...different is that I can't see the lines. They are faded. Sometimes I have no idea if it's two lanes, if I'm in a turn only lane, where the line for the stoplight is...I would assume because of the snow is why the lines are faded or non existent. I figure I'll get used to that in time once I know the area.

The other thing is some of the freeway onramps are...in strange places. I got lost one day because the sign said, "I95 South" this way ----> so I turned...and drove for a few miles never finding that onramp. I've discovered that sometimes the onramp requires you go down a side street, turning to another sort of side street and then you'll find it.

Still getting used to the roads. Again, it's because of snow and ice, I'm sure. Some of these roads are a little...bumpy, shall we say. But I did see some construction workers in two areas fixing those bumps...so, again, I'm sure it's because of all the snow and ice and it's an ongoing job.

People do seem to keep to themselves but when they do talk to you, they are incredibly friendly. I have had some fun chit chat with other customers a few times and have to tell you, I like that. I like that I can be standing in one line, a lady standing in another line and we chit chat about who is going to be last because according to both of us, we always get in the line that takes the longest.

Simple, tiny little things that some may think is kinda dumb to point out but for me, again, after living in a city where no one cares about anyone else, these things are extremely charming for me to see/hear/encounter and I'm having a really good time.

In other words, I really like it here.
Do you have a GPS? We used ours to drive all over Maine and New Hampshire last February. (Oh the snow I miss the snow, It's going to be 94 here today.)

Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM

You guys are killing me. We want to come out so bad this summer but can't right now. Is that bird that sings so early a Robin? Ours start at 3am. I heard an owl once here in the burbs and saw a fox. One night when I was coming home from work I saw what I thought was a dog by a busy street. I stopped and called to it and got a really good look at it. It turned out to be a coyote. I was only maybe 10 feet away from it and stayed there until it fled. I'm afraid we are crowding out the wildlife here. We see deer in this tiny park by our house and on peoples front lawns. I can't wait to see Maine in the summer and fall, and even in mud season. You guys have a wonderful day it's almost time for work

Old 07-01-2011, 01:14 PM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
I rarely use my GPS unit. I am willing to loan it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You guys are killing me....
You may want to get that looked at. No good to be dying here.

Maybe a few drams of medicinal will help you. I prefer rum, though many Mainers prefer coffee-flavored brandy. Be sure to get your ailment tended, no matter what your favorite medicinal is.

Stepped on a nail yesterday, I was sure glad to have some medicinal handy.

Quote:
... I can't wait to see Maine in the summer and fall, and even in mud season. You guys have a wonderful day it's almost time for work
Just for you, we will keep some wilderness in reserve for when you do make a trip up here, so to make sure that there will be some for you.

Now would you prefer to have an extra helping of: eagle, beaver, deer, moose or bear with that reservation?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I rarely use my GPS unit. I am willing to loan it out.

You may want to get that looked at. No good to be dying here.

Maybe a few drams of medicinal will help you. I prefer rum, though many Mainers prefer coffee-flavored brandy. Be sure to get your ailment tended, no matter what your favorite medicinal is.

Stepped on a nail yesterday, I was sure glad to have some medicinal handy.

LOL FOREST, THANKS FOR MAKING MY DAY. I want to see all of the above, I love all animals. Do you still have your goats? I got home from work at 1am, took a shower, drank a glass of pinot noir and passed out on the couch until 4am. I think I fell asleep dreaming about Maine. I found a coworker a house in Swanville that she liked. We were on the internet in the Docs' office which is a no no. (My bad?) I just got off the phone with my hubby and he said he wants to go there this summer, but there are so many outside projects to finish.(I love power tools and would rather work on houses than work out in a gym). Well this is day 5 and one more tomorrow. I think I may need several more glasses of wine at the end of day 6. I can't wait to retire. You all enjoy paradise and feel sorry for me for not being there

Just for you, we will keep some wilderness in reserve for when you do make a trip up here, so to make sure that there will be some for you.

Now would you prefer to have an extra helping of: eagle, beaver, deer, moose or bear with that reservation?

My friend feeds skunks, racoons, and cats on his back deck. They all eat together and I was out there walking among them. I even pet one of the baby racoons. What a fun experience.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 PM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
LOL FOREST, THANKS FOR MAKING MY DAY. I want to see all of the above, I love all animals. Do you still have your goats?
We sold our goats last spring. I wish to get some more in the future, but first we need to erect better fencing for them.

Too many other projects first.

Quote:
... You all enjoy paradise and feel sorry for me for not being there
Yes, maam.

Quote:
... My friend feeds skunks, racoons, and cats on his back deck. They all eat together and I was out there walking among them. I even pet one of the baby racoons. What a fun experience.
Our dogs like to play with skunks.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,517,672 times
Just a word about Mt. Katahdin for you if you are planning a climb. My son in law and 5 of his friends - all very rugged and in good shape guys - climbed it in early June. The have climbed many higher mountains in NH and found this to be an even bigger challenge. 5 hours up and 4 and a half down. Only one of them didn't go to the top. They claimed there is not "easy" trail. Just be prepared and well equipped with water bug repel, snacks etc.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We sold our goats last spring. I wish to get some more in the future, but first we need to erect better fencing for them.

Too many other projects first.

Yes, maam.

Our dogs like to play with skunks.
Don't they get sprayed? I had a dog get sprayed in the park and my car and apartment reeked for weeks. My neighbors supplied me with tomato juice but it didn't work. It was after the stores had closed so nothing else was available. I remember it rained for a couple of days after that and I had to keep the windows closed. I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was pretty horrible. We can walk to the zoo by our house and I love the goats in the childrens zoo. They are affectionate and like big dogs. We were working at the rental where my friend feeds the skunks and a little baby skunk was in the yard. I grabbed some dog biscuits and carefully sat down and fed it. It was so cute,however, the neighbors dog killed it. I miss working out there. I go back as often as possible to see the kids and cut Bellas' toe nails (little tiny chihuahua) I'm the only one that takes the time to do them. Did you eat the goats? They are tasty but I couldn't eat one I knew personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine