U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 AM

830 posts, read 957,706 times

Advertisements

This is a question for people that have either lived in both states or spent significant time in both states. Are Minnesota Mosquitoes and Horse Flies worse than Maine Mosquitoes and Black Flies, not as bad, or about the same? I've experienced many summers of Minnesota mosquitoes and horse flies so any comparison will be understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,701,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
This is a question for people that have either lived in both states or spent significant time in both states. Are Minnesota Mosquitoes and Horse Flies worse than Maine Mosquitoes and Black Flies, not as bad, or about the same? I've experienced many summers of Minnesota mosquitoes and horse flies so any comparison will be understood.
I've never lived in Minnesota, but am familiar with the horse fly from Georgia. Keep in mind that we have horse flies in Maine too, although they are most often seen along the balmy coast.

I'm sure the mosquitoes are the same both places. But rather then talking about the Maine horse fly, let's talk about the Maine deer fly and the Maine moose fly. The later will bite through clothing and draw blood.

When I used to run in Georgia, the thing I hated about horse flies is that they went low and tried to bite your legs. This made them harder to swat. Deer flies tend to hit high (especially your hair) and are a little easier to kill. The only time I've been bitten by a moose fly it bit through my socks. I'm not sure if they have a preference.

Black flies and noseeums are in a class all to themselves, and not comparable.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Well I am going to make an assumption.. there is no such thing as a "minnesota horse fly"?? At least I didnt find anything one them with a quick google search..

Maine gets horse flies albeit maybe not as bad as Minnesota but IDK..

It depends on where you are in Maine.. Though so far this year at least in my neighborhood where the bugs are usually not bad.. things are worse then normal..

Otherwise out at camp, in the woods, fishing ect.. it can be downright unbearable..

I like to fish and swim and hike.... but the black flies and mosquitos can take nearly all the enjoyment out of it...

I just dont see the reasoning in wearing longsleave shirts tucked into potting gloves with netted hats just to go outside and water the gardern or do work to be any kind of fun..

So yea as far as I am concerned our bugs are probably worse.. or least just as bad as minnesota's

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM

6,053 posts, read 11,429,890 times
I'm familiar with both. Black flies, no matter what state you're in, are worse than horse flies. As has been said, we have both. I didn't think horse flies were any worse in MN than ME. Swarms of small bugs that you can inhale into your nose and mouth and that crawl into your ear to bite are awful. Horse flies are easier to kill. One smack won't kill a swarm of black flies.

One report this week so far. They seem to be dropping significantly. I didn't have any here this morning.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,566,557 times
I've been in both places and though the bugs are bad ya have to go to the north to see what is REALLY bad. Many years ago I worked on a big hydro project in northern Manitoba. It's really hard to describe just how bad the bugs are. At the local airport was about the only place the moose flys seemed to hang out. We used to sit in the lounge there and watch the arrivals. The people would come off the aircraft saunter dawn the stairs and then, WHAM the moose flies hit. After a few usless flinging about of arms the whole herd of passengers would stampeed for the terminal, LOL. By the time they got inside they would be bleeding from all over. When those flies bit it was like getting pinched hard with a pair of pliers.

The moose flies were the least of our problems because the clouds of mosquitos and black flies were just so thick that sometimes you could hardly get a breath. They would chew you up so bad you would look like hamburger in no time flat. I remember one June 26th, my birthday. We got 4 inches of snow and I couldn't have had a better birthday present. It killed all the bugs for at least a week.

My solution for working outside was, I would rub lots of diesel fuel on my coveralls and my hard hat. I mean lots, The blackflies would disolve into little grease spots when they landed on me and the skitters just stayed away from those fumes altogether. I know that the diesel probably was not too good for me but anything was better than being eaten alive.

We had a real hard time getting and keeping a workforce up there. One day these two carpenters arrived on the train. I don't even know why they were on the train because everyone flew in but they were. They had come from New Brunswick and it had taken them 5 days to get there. Anyway they lasted half a shift and said, "The heck with this", and quit. When the hard freezes started at the end of August we were very thankful for the bug killing cold.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,701,614 times
Coastal southeastern Georgia has a darling called the "sand knat." These things were perfectly adapted to feeding on humans. They descended by the thousands and survived through human's inabliltiy to identify pain in more than one place at a time. They would appear as almost fog. They made no effort to hide or reduce your perception of their bites. For every one you killed, 100 had lunch. I found DEET to be completely ineffective in detering them. Another great thing about the sand knats was that they didn't like to come out in temperatures that people didn't like to come out in. So when it was 95 degrees outside you wouldn't see one. However, when it got nice out, they seemed to enjoy the same weather and would be out by the thousands.

BTW, DEET works great on everything in Maine.

Last edited by bangorme; 06-09-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 07:33 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,452,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
i've been in both places and though the bugs are bad ya have to go to the north to see what is really bad. Many years ago i worked on a big hydro project in northern manitoba. It's really hard to describe just how bad the bugs are. At the local airport was about the only place the moose flys seemed to hang out. We used to sit in the lounge there and watch the arrivals. The people would come off the aircraft saunter dawn the stairs and then, wham the moose flies hit. After a few usless flinging about of arms the whole herd of passengers would stampeed for the terminal, lol. By the time they got inside they would be bleeding from all over. When those flies bit it was like getting pinched hard with a pair of pliers.

The moose flies were the least of our problems because the clouds of mosquitos and black flies were just so thick that sometimes you could hardly get a breath. They would chew you up so bad you would look like hamburger in no time flat. I remember one june 26th, my birthday. We got 4 inches of snow and i couldn't have had a better birthday present. It killed all the bugs for at least a week.

My solution for working outside was, i would rub lots of diesel fuel on my coveralls and my hard hat. I mean lots, the blackflies would disolve into little grease spots when they landed on me and the skitters just stayed away from those fumes altogether. I know that the diesel probably was not too good for me but anything was better than being eaten alive.

We had a real hard time getting and keeping a workforce up there. One day these two carpenters arrived on the train. I don't even know why they were on the train because everyone flew in but they were. They had come from new brunswick and it had taken them 5 days to get there. Anyway they lasted half a shift and said, "the heck with this", and quit. When the hard freezes started at the end of august we were very thankful for the bug killing cold.
ddt

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 AM

658 posts, read 677,442 times
I'll raise ya a North Carolina fire ant, or one of our wonderful Chiggers! I guess wherever you are if you wan tto enjoy the great outdoors, bugs are a PITA (or other anatomical regions)!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:15 PM

738 posts, read 1,654,446 times
I just get back from fishing with my dad and brother for a week between Brownville and Milinocket. None of us have seen black flies as bad as the two days we spent up inside the Kathadin Iron Works check in gate. They were on you as soon as you stepped out of the truck in clouds of swarms. The other days outside of the check in gate were normal levels for this time of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or