Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 PM

134 posts, read 514,807 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in Maine but then spending the last 23 years in and working for the Air Force, I have my list of what and where to eat every time I come "home'. I actually will be flying back from Germany tomorrow and a young Lt in my office from Portland has been jealous as all get out. I already plan to hit Amato's in Westbrook, Capt Nick's in Bangor and get my fill of soft serve ice cream. I am sure since I will be back for two weeks that I will be hitting some other places too as I am having to do hotel living for this trip. My mouth is watering as I type this. Hey there used to be a place called the Log Cabin I think it was over in the Newport area and they always had great seafood. I know it changed owners years ago but never heard if it was still open or not.. does anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
A1 diner in downtown Gardner. Eclectic mix of real homeade diner food and some authentic ethnic dishes. Rotating specials.

that diner has been there for years, i remember going there 30 yrs ago, and it still looks the same,,it does reflect the classic diner,,,its on bridge st in gardiner

Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
I guess the ONLY thing I'll miss about Houston is the endless options for Mexican and Oriental food. We have incredible Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants all over town. And, of course, being right on the border of Mexico, Texas has abundant Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants.

I've gotten pretty good at duplicating the authentic Mexican tastes, but the Oriental selections still elude me! I make great eggrolls, but that's about it.

I'm sure the seafood in Maine will more than make up for the loss!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I guess the ONLY thing I'll miss about Houston is the endless options for Mexican and Oriental food. We have incredible Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants all over town. And, of course, being right on the border of Mexico, Texas has abundant Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants.

I've gotten pretty good at duplicating the authentic Mexican tastes, but the Oriental selections still elude me! I make great eggrolls, but that's about it.

I'm sure the seafood in Maine will more than make up for the loss!
You should be able to satisfy those asian craving with a trip to Portland. For take out the Wok-In on Forrest Ave is great and there are several Thai places. We love the Thai market for great take out. It's just off Brighton Ave, Vein Cheins(sic). A fun relaxing evening for us is to get take out and then picnic on the Eastern Promonade then a easy stroll on the pathway to downtown.

If you like italian Grazianos in Lisbon just south of Lewiston is the bomb. Yup, it's Rocky's family who has been operating the place for many generations.

For a burger and a beer Gritty's in either Freeport or Portand hits the spot. Moody's Diner is a must on Rt 1 just south of Rockland for cheap good diner food. Amazing homemade pies.

The Thai Garden just south of Freeport is good. Margiritas and as mentioned before Tortilla Flats is good mexican. A bunch of Indian places as well. The Village Inn at the bottom of Munjoy Hill is a fav also.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Well, you've got my mouth watering! All except the beer. I've never been a beer drinker - bad experience in college. We LOVE mixed drinks and wine, however. I even have a pic of me drinking a Chocolate Moose at Weathervane in Belfast, though I tasted very little alcohol and a whole lot of chocolate!! DH thought it was too funny that I got the foam on my nose, but thankfully, THAT didn't end up in print!

Anyway, Thai is always good and Japanese too. We love Sushi. I'll bet it doesn't get any fresher than around there!

So, what is Moxie? Is it a beer? We may have to try that one.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:06 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Moxie is kinda like root beer and coke mixed, a regional flavored soda.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Yummy! Love them both!!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I can't do Moxie! My Dad loved it, and tried and tried to get me to like it. I can take a couple of swallows, but that's it. And what about birch beer?

shh...I'm off topic

Old 08-10-2007, 07:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Moxie is definately an acquired taste. I love the stuff!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
red hot dogs lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine