U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:23 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Only in America. No wonder we have so many shootings across the board in this country.
In the streets of New York City during the crime wave of the '70s, '80s, and '90s, criminals pointed guns at me several times.

None of the perps looked like NRA members.

And between me and the perps, only I didn't have a gun because it is against the law.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 06-23-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
In the streets of New York City during the crime wave of the '70s, '80s, and '90s, criminals pointed guns at me several times.

And between me and the perps, only I didn't have a gun because it is against the law.
It's a shame all those criminals don't have any respect for/abide by the gun laws designed to keep guns out of their hands--did anyone really think they would? It's also a shame that any state can pass a gun law that takes guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens who might need one for protection. (Isn't this a violation of 2nd Amendment rights?!) Then only the criminals have guns.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Only in America. No wonder we have so many shootings across the board in this country.
There's absolutely no common sense in that statement. None at all. If someone is going to shoot someone they don't give a damn about legally having a gun. Do you know criminals who want a gun but don't have one because hey, you know, they can't legally have one?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine writer View Post
there's absolutely no common sense in that statement. None at all. If someone is going to shoot someone they don't give a damn about legally having a gun. Do you know criminals who want a gun but don't have one because hey, you know, they can't legally have one?

bingo

Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM

326 posts, read 361,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

The fact that you didn't have a gun to confront them could very well have saved your life in those situations. The fact is, if you ARE being mugged in NYC, or specially in LA, give them you money! And get out alive. I personally dislike guns, don't own one, have family members that used it against themselves, and was forced by my father to use it once despite being terrified about it, at the tender age of 11.
Having said that, I agree, the regulations only apply to law abiding citizens. Criminals will have them regardless. Also, if you own a gun for protection, you better make sure not only you know how to use, have a clear understanding of the consequences if you do use it, and make sure it is not accessible to children in your household (or car) at any time.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM

20,625 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
The fact that you didn't have a gun to confront them could very well have saved your life in those situations. The fact is, if you ARE being mugged in NYC, or specially in LA, give them you money! And get out alive. I personally dislike guns, don't own one, have family members that used it against themselves, and was forced by my father to use it once despite being terrified about it, at the tender age of 11.
Having said that, I agree, the regulations only apply to law abiding citizens. Criminals will have them regardless. Also, if you own a gun for protection, you better make sure not only you know how to use, have a clear understanding of the consequences if you do use it, and make sure it is not accessible to children in your household (or car) at any time.
I'm going to disagree with the last statement and I'm sure some won't agree with me...

Instead of hiding it from your children, have them learn it. My dad did this when we were young. At the age of 6, (six), I found myself out in the woods, with my brothers and dad, with his rifle, learning to shoot at cans. We spent the whole day doing this and he taught us everything about that rifle. We learned to respect its power.

When we got home, he taught us how to take it apart and we had to clean it. We learned to respect that rifle and all the other rifles he had in the house.

He had a rifle stand with about 7-8 rifles, in his bedroom, by the bed, unlocked.

Because he taught us, from a very early age, about these guns, we never EVER had the desire to go in and sneak a peak or take it out to show off to friends or test it out for ourselves.

We knew what it was, our curiosity had been satisfied when he took us out to shoot at cans, we knew its power, we knew how it worked, we knew about as much as we could about it.

If he had hidden it and said, "Do not touch", well, the very first thing a kid wants to do is TOUCH what they are told NOT to touch.

I think the way my dad approached this was very smart. It also got me interested in guns and I'm not afraid of them. I enjoy shooting them. I enjoy the smell of gun powder. I also very much respect all guns.

I would say that a large majority of the people who own guns absolutely know how to use them, know the consequences for using them. I also think a lot of people buy in to the media hype about gun owners...yes, there are bad apples everywhere but most people respect the gun.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Twice I was saved by someone else who had a gun--one a security guard and the other a citizen with a legal carry.

Another time the perp actually pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired.

The other times I got out if it using my wits.

I was uncannily lucky every time.

And in any event, I'd rather die shooting back then be shot down unarmed like a dog.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:54 PM

5,488 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
I'd add to that, that you must also be possessed of the *will* to use it if it should be necessary.

Without the will to use it, (in many cases) having it is worse than not. If you produce a weapon but are afraid to use it, a criminal will sense that fear and lack of will, and you will become a victim anyway (and be lucky if you manage to get out of the situation alive).

As far as the last statement, I am in full agreement with GatorMama. Education is the proper way to prevent mishaps with children and guns. I grew up with a loaded gun in the house, one of my first memories is of my father teaching me how to use his police-issue .38 revolver...and the very important lesson that, no matter how much you may want to, you can never call the bullet back into the gun after you have pulled the trigger.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
I am curious.....when a gun is left unsupervised in a parked car.....is it somehow rendered inoperable while the permitted individual is away? I dont know anything about guns...is there a lock or way to maintain some safety if it were stolen. Cars are being broken into to steal radios etc and even catalytic converters.....it worries me that someone other than the permitted individual....may gain easy access to the gun left unattended in a parking lot. Is there a way that is being guarded against?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am curious.....when a gun is left unsupervised in a parked car.....is it somehow rendered inoperable while the permitted individual is away? I dont know anything about guns...is there a lock or way to maintain some safety if it were stolen. Cars are being broken into to steal radios etc and even catalytic converters.....it worries me that someone other than the permitted individual....may gain easy access to the gun left unattended in a parking lot. Is there a way that is being guarded against?
More people are killed each year from automobiles than firearms.

I would be more concerned about someone breaking into and stealing the vehicle, it is a far more dangerous device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine