Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Machias man killed in early morning shooting in Eastbrook — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

Eastbrook is a tiny town near Ellsworth. IMHO, it's in the middle of nowhere, but maybe others will disagree.

This homeowner was lured out of his house in the early morning hours by a female who ...
Too bad he missed the female.

I feel compelled to point out that crime does in deed happen everywhere.

If you traveled to 'Amundsen–Scott' Station in Antarctica you would still find some level of crime.

Most of Maine enjoys a relatively low crime rate as compared to most populated areas of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I'm not arguing the law or the aspect of using a gun for hunting... But I was wondering if people really feel that threatened that you all feel carrying a gun in your car at all times is really needed?
You lost me on "you all." Are you really lumping 1.3 million people into one? Why do you think everyone wants to be able to keep their gun in the trunk while they're at work? Where did you come up with that? I didn't get that out of this conversation.

Quote:
It is about the need to carry it in your car at all times. Yes, I see if you happen to be alone at 2am or feel the need to stop and hunt after work.
but how often can/does that happen? So, really it is done because you can do it. That seems to be what really drives most people.
It's not just about the need to carry at gun in the car at all times. It's not just about safety. Hunting before and after work happens often during hunting season. Not being in Maine, I do understand why you are unfamiliar with how often it happens. I really is common. My husband is a forester with a desk job. He works 30 minutes from home. Having to drive the gun home before work and come home to get it after work is inconvenient at best. The days are very short during hunting season. If he had to come home to get the rifle he'd be able to hunt that last hour of the day. Most people aren't going to keep their guns in the vehicle just because they can. Nobody wants their guns banged up, damp or risk the chance of it being stolen. It's not about doing it just because you can, it's about common sense around the lifestyle many Mainers lead.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

30,136 posts, read 23,526,778 times
Quote:
I understand the need/want for firearms in the home in case of home invasions. Oh and I do read the newspapers.... gee thanks for that tip.

Not talking about that.... read my original reply.

It is about the need to carry it in your car at all times. Yes, I see if you happen to be alone at 2am or feel the need to stop and hunt after work.
but how often can/does that happen? So, really it is done because you can do it. That seems to be what really drives most people.
How often? It only takes one time. Edit: For me it IS about safety as I do not hunt.

I used to drive for a living and have been broken down more times than I care to remember. Sometimes those break downs were on long stretches of lonely roads. Sometimes they were in the middle of the night. Sometimes just walking to my car from work got me harassed. One night, someone snuck up behind me and tried to solicit me...which, please, I was dressed in black baggy pants and a German Army jacket...really? REALLY dude?

The point is, even if it hardly ever happens, even if the odds are that it won't happen, it CAN and it HAS happened to people in all different types of areas and all times of the day. I am not inclined to join those statistics.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,320,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You lost me on "you all." Are you really lumping 1.3 million people into one? Why do you think everyone wants to be able to keep their gun in the trunk while they're at work? Where did you come up with that? I didn't get that out of this conversation.

I am referrring to the people on the thread that seem happy with the new law. Hence the "you all"... that is all. Of course, I don't include 1.3 million people in the state of Maine. How would you get that anyway? I am merely responding to the thread. I would certainly hope that 1.3 million people don't feel the need to do this.

I read the heading of the thread and that kinda did it. Silly me!!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM

I have lived in Vermont. I know about hunting season.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
How often? It only takes one time. Edit: For me it IS about safety as I do not hunt.

I used to drive for a living and have been broken down more times than I care to remember. Sometimes those break downs were on long stretches of lonely roads. Sometimes they were in the middle of the night. Sometimes just walking to my car from work got me harassed. One night, someone snuck up behind me and tried to solicit me...which, please, I was dressed in black baggy pants and a German Army jacket...really? REALLY dude?

The point is, even if it hardly ever happens, even if the odds are that it won't happen, it CAN and it HAS happened to people in all different types of areas and all times of the day. I am not inclined to join those statistics.

I totally understand.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:00 PM

2,721 posts, read 6,385,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
guns in cars at places of employment, may make supervisors think twice about firing someone, or giving a harsh review..
He.he......now that's funny right there.....and maybe earn you a raise!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
I understand the need/want for firearms in the home in case of home invasions. Oh and I do read the newspapers.... gee thanks for that tip.

Not talking about that.... read my original reply.

Anywhere from 3 to 5 nights out of 7 depending on how busy we are during any given period.

It's a 24/7 world now - even in a smaller city in podunk Maine. A lot of people work overnights or until late. We're a service sector state. Even McDonalds in larger areas is open 24 hours a day, and the last I knew, most Irvings never close.

It's amazing what you see at 2:00 a.m. in Maine. Really.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM

428 posts, read 548,748 times
When I first saw this thread I thought it was announcing "Bring your Gun to Work Day". All kidding aside, our HR person was not real happy about this.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Too bad he missed the female.

I feel compelled to point out that crime does in deed happen everywhere.

If you traveled to 'Amundsen–Scott' Station in Antarctica you would still find some level of crime.

Most of Maine enjoys a relatively low crime rate as compared to most populated areas of the nation.

I feel compelled to point out that I don't care where a person lives. I don't care what the crime statistics are (or aren't for that matter).

My point is, that they have a right to carry a weapon for personal protection - be it in their car or home.

Just because someone hasn't been personally affected doesn't necessarily mean that we should all be gun free if we choose not to be is all I'm saying.

Controlling the weapon (be it a gun, knife, or 2 X 4) doesn't control the actions of the person using it.

K - I'm done now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine