U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 AM

6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
Default Bring Your Gun To Work

You can now have your firearms in your vehicle when you park in your employer's lot in Maine. The governor signed the new law a few minutes ago. Maine is a gun friendly state and is a "must issue" state for concealed weapons permits. The problem was that people in Maine commute long distances in private vehicles. Some employers prohibit privately owned firearms in vehicles. No more.

-break-

"NOW we can make a toast and say "Great Job" to everyone who worked so hard on, and supported this legislation. I am just leaving the Governor's office where these gun bills were signed into law at 11:00am (6-21-11). Now its time for all the silly, petty "the sky is falling" arguments to be proven as the real non-issues they all are. There were several solid arguments in support of this legislation and not a single legit argument against it.

Thanks again to all who helped, and thank you Governor LePage for signing these into law today."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 AM

8,748 posts, read 11,364,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You can now have your firearms in your vehicle when you park in your employer's lot in Maine. The governor signed the new law a few minutes ago. Maine is a gun friendly state and is a "must issue" state for concealed weapons permits. The problem was that people in Maine commute long distances in private vehicles. Some employers prohibit privately owned firearms in vehicles. No more.

-break-

"NOW we can make a toast and say "Great Job" to everyone who worked so hard on, and supported this legislation. I am just leaving the Governor's office where these gun bills were signed into law at 11:00am (6-21-11). Now its time for all the silly, petty "the sky is falling" arguments to be proven as the real non-issues they all are. There were several solid arguments in support of this legislation and not a single legit argument against it.

Thanks again to all who helped, and thank you Governor LePage for signing these into law today."
I may have to get a job now....naww!!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,078,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

-break-

Good decision and a plus for Maine.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,693,807 times
That just about seals it for me.

I'm sick of the nanny-state politicians in RI, where we now live. I had been considering New Hampshire as well as Maine. But more and more, I'm liking this LePage guy you have up there. This law makes sense, as more often than not, I have to leave my firearm(s) behind when leaving the state for trucking work. I don't dare get caught, especially in Massachusetts.

My only concern is, how long before the 'greater Boston' types put another liberal in the governor's mansion? If it were up to me, I'd leave all the blue states entirely, and go find a red state somewhere. But 6 grandkids are hard to leave behind, so I'm looking for a compromise!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 381,192 times
Nothing that I would really applaud as being a good, if I am understanding the nature of the law as described. I oppose it on property rights grounds, however well intentioned it may be in an attempt to counter the generally pervasive anti-gun sentiments in society (including among employers).

Also, does this law only apply to those who have a permit, as the NRA-ILA website states in its brief abstract? NRA-ILA :: Maine House to Vote on Self-Defense and Firearm Legislation Tomorrow! (http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6876 - broken link) I certainly hope not, because that would be another fail, in my book.

As an aside, I'm rather tired of states granting special privileges that get extended only to the special interest of permit holders who lobbied good and hard for those extra privileges, meanwhile every other gun owner in the state is left out in the cold, as is typical. Typical special interest mentality. Either fight hard to get all gun onwers protected under the same law, or don't even advance the legislation in a form that only applies it to a special group of people who have the magical permit that somehow makes them more entitled to liberty than those who don't have the magical permit.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ed-in-Vehicles

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM

6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
This protects the guy who wants to shoot skeet at the club on the way home after work. It protects the lady who carries a 9 MM because of the stalker who is after her. It protects the wife who doesn't even know her husband's rifle is in the trunk and gets a flat tire at work. It protects everybody except the whining bigot who wants to deny you basic human rights.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,254,569 times
Speaking as a whining person, now my disgruntled post office employee, can go postal and go right out to his car get his gun and go back in, and he doesn't even need a carry permit to do it.

I think the use of bigot is the wrong word here: it implies someone who obstinately won't change his or her views or or who is partial to their own views and even more so is intolerant of others who differ. This could equally apply to the gun lobby. I'm not sure that carrying a gun could be in the category of basic HUMAN rights, though under the constitution of the USA, it appears to be a basic LEGAL RIGHT.

Lest you believe that I am a whining non gun owner, I have a concealed carry permit in PA. I would prefer that everyone carrying their gun in their car have a concealed carry permit, since its most likely concealed in the car.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM

5,649 posts, read 7,545,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Speaking as a whining person, now my disgruntled post office employee, can go postal and go right out to his car get his gun and go back in, and he doesn't even need a carry permit to do it.
People who go postal don't care whether they can legally have a gun.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM

121 posts, read 130,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

I think the use of bigot is the wrong word here: it implies someone who obstinately won't change his or her views or or who is partial to their own views and even more so is intolerant of others who differ. This could equally apply to the gun lobby. I'm not sure that carrying a gun could be in the category of basic HUMAN rights, though under the constitution of the USA, it appears to be a basic LEGAL RIGHT.

Lest you believe that I am a whining non gun owner, I have a concealed carry permit in PA. I would prefer that everyone carrying their gun in their car have a concealed carry permit, since its most likely concealed in the car.
Carrying a gun may not fall under basic human rights, but survival/self-protection does (IMO). God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Carrying a gun may not fall under basic human rights, but survival/self-protection does (IMO). God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal.
Considering that Colt's model used powder, balls and percussion caps, and considering the time entailed in loading such a combination initially, I would prefer that Horace Smith and Daniel Wesson be labeled as the real inventors who made them EQUAL. S&W were the first to market a revolver with cartridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine