U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,569 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

How's it going everyone.I'm from Houston,Tx but just got to Maine.I heard from some people that it is a old person state or flat out a "white"state.As a young black man,what to expect while I',m in Maine and what is there to do?I can't believe it's this cold in June while we are doing 80-90 degree weather in Houston.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,498 posts, read 6,438,084 times
Reputation: 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc713 View Post
How's it going everyone.I'm from Houston,Tx but just got to Maine.I heard from some people that it is a old person state or flat out a "white"state.As a young black man,what to expect while I',m in Maine and what is there to do?I can't believe it's this cold in June while we are doing 80-90 degree weather in Houston.
Maine is one of the greyest (if not *THE* greyest) states. Many of the younger folks escape to other places where there is more opportunity to make their fortunes. This is sometimes known as "The Brain Drain". Later in life, many of these people return for retirement. Consequently, there is a higher proportion of older adults to younger adults.

It is also true that Maine is mostly "white". There are, however, a considerable number of folks representing a broad spectrum of other ethnicities. Some are clustered together (it is not unusual for people to want to be around other people who share similar backgrounds and characteristics) others are not.

Generally speaking, if you act like a respectable individual you will be treated as one, people who act like 'thugs' are typically treated as 'thugs'. This is not intended to be a 'racial stereotype', thuggish behavior knows no boundries. Depending on where you are located, you may or may not occasionally encounter ignorant individuals who persist in being [expletives], but it seems to me that I see far less of that sort of thing here than in other parts of the country that I have lived in or traveled to. YMMV and my observations may or may not be representative of reality.

Welcome to Maine.

Having lived in TX myself for several years, I can assure you that the weather here is very much different. As for the degree of difference, it depends on where you're at.

As for 'what there is to do', that also depends on where you're at...which you'll have to tell us if we are to give you any more specific information.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
9,524 posts, read 14,313,796 times
Reputation: 9008
No matter where you are there is good fishing nearby in Maine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
 
17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
Reputation: 31322
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc713 View Post
How's it going everyone.I'm from Houston,Tx but just got to Maine.I heard from some people that it is a old person state or flat out a "white"state.As a young black man,what to expect while I',m in Maine and what is there to do?I can't believe it's this cold in June while we are doing 80-90 degree weather in Houston.
cold?? Im sure its a nice change from being hot most of the yr.

what to expect?? depends where you are, if you are in portland, there is a nightlife for a young fella, follow the golden rule, you will be fine.

if you are in rural maine, then you can rent a canoe, or kayak, or go fishing, or, go swimming(then you will know what cold is)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Bangor, ME
164 posts, read 210,437 times
Reputation: 272
kc713,
Welcome to Maine.

As the others have said, you might have to give a hint as to where you are to tell you about activities; it's a big state!
There is a lot to do if you love nature, hiking,fishing, canoeing or kayaking.

Acadia National Park, Moosehead Lake, Baxter State Park, Lily Bay State Park, Camden Hills; oh, my... I could go on and on...

There are wonderful restaurants, cultural things to do/see ( orchestra/ theater/ art museums) in the Portland- and Bangor- area.

You could take classes at any number of colleges/ universities...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 09:56 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,569 times
Reputation: 10
I will be in the Saco/Biddeford area.I wanna live in Portland but the prices for an apartment out there is crazy.i see that everything in Maine is twice the price that it would cost in Texas.I think the hard part for me will be knowing where the fun is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
505 posts, read 612,343 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc713 View Post
I will be in the Saco/Biddeford area.I wanna live in Portland but the prices for an apartment out there is crazy.i see that everything in Maine is twice the price that it would cost in Texas.I think the hard part for me will be knowing where the fun is.
welcome to new england

Everything here is more expensive..... its not exclusive of maine.

Lots of good outdoor concerts and festivals this time of year. This weekend is the North Atlantic Blues festival in Rockland, ME. Theres also a more 'alternative' festival in Harmony.

I am pretty sure you can easily take the amtrak from Saco to Boston. Would be a really cool day trip for someone not form around here. Theres a few small water parks down right near you too, miniature golf, disc golf, regular golf, hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming.

Plenty of stuff to do in Portland on the weekends, not so much during the week. Check Chowhound for good food recommendations all throughout the state.

Can check the State theater and the Port city music hall websites for upcoming concerts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
 
17,181 posts, read 22,217,451 times
Reputation: 31322
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
welcome to new england

Everything here is more expensive..... its not exclusive of maine.

Lots of good outdoor concerts and festivals this time of year. This weekend is the North Atlantic Blues festival in Rockland, ME. Theres also a more 'alternative' festival in Harmony.

I am pretty sure you can easily take the amtrak from Saco to Boston. Would be a really cool day trip for someone not form around here. Theres a few small water parks down right near you too, miniature golf, disc golf, regular golf, hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming.

Plenty of stuff to do in Portland on the weekends, not so much during the week. Check Chowhound for good food recommendations all throughout the state.

Can check the State theater and the Port city music hall websites for upcoming concerts.
alternative?? in harmony?? is that where the hempfest is this year??

harmony is just up the road from Athens....explains alot if the hempfest is there
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,608 times
Reputation: 10
Stay warm I use to live in Brunswick when I was young, you know military child. I remember the cold winters and deep, deep snow. Of course I lived in Denver and in Keystone so I am use to the snow.
Good Luck
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top