Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Right now we are in Road Construction season.

I don't go far or often and I'm already sick of road construction season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Does one really have to spend their time indoors during the winter? Aren't there some winter activities to get involved in?
You'll only be stuck inside if you want to be. There's so much to do in winter it's sometimes hard to work five days a week and get to do everything. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, snowshoeing. sledding/sliding, playing in the snow with kids, sneak attacking spouses with snowballs (<-- tis better to give than receive), cribbage tournaments at social organizations, Beano/Bingo and a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Well as a Maine winter newbie, winter is what you make of it! I was outside every single day, I found that I needed sunlight. Even the kind from a gray sky. I got up at 5am every morning, and went to work. I drove 41 miles each way, and every morning was a new experience. Winter driving in Maine for me was wonderful. The sunrises (late, but still by a little after 7) were gorgeous, the roads were in great shape, and I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, except when gasoline approached $4 a gallon. Yes, winter was long, but I was active. I did have a tendency in the evening to catch a nap early, and then wake up at 9pm ready to stay up, but I finally adjusted myself to that. It was quite funny what the locals told me. I would see the same 100 people all winter, as the rest of the town would hibernate, like bears. I found that to be especially true.

I grew up in a climate where we didn't see the sun in December, or most of January. We lived right where the fronts always collided, and in the winter, they usually set down on top of us.

I prefer the climate here over where I lived for many years, you always have to take the bad, with the good. As someone told me once, there are so many pluses to Maine: no major earthquakes, no mudslides, very few tornadoes, hurricanes calmed by 50 degree water, and beautiful scenery. A long winter is a small price to pay. As a relative of mine once said, its a great day any day you are on the green side of the grass.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I don't go far or often and I'm already sick of road construction season.

You'll only be stuck inside if you want to be. There's so much to do in winter it's sometimes hard to work five days a week and get to do everything. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, down hill skiing, snowshoeing. sledding/sliding, playing in the snow with kids, sneak attacking spouses with snowballs (<-- tis better to give than receive), cribbage tournaments at social organizations, Beano/Bingo and a lot more.
Exactly my point. One doesn't need to spend all winter indoors.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. One doesn't need to spend all winter indoors.
Evidently you're not aware of the new state law requiring people to remain indoors from November 30 through May1st.....

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
evidently you're not aware of the new state law requiring people to remain indoors from november 30 through may1st.....:d
lol.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Does one really have to spend their time indoors during the winter? Aren't there some winter activities to get involved in?
Of course there are... Even if you don't have a snowmobile (I don't) you can always get out of doors, and dressed properly this is not an issue. This is Maine, not the Arctic. Many folks ski (cross country or downhill), take the kids or grandkids sledding (the old fashioned kind, where you walk up a hill and slide down on something), take hikes on snowshoes (which is something I do, often just strapping them on to walk to the back of my property to look for animal tracks, or sometimes to try walking the dogs). Dogs still need walking, and there are always inside events happening inside other places than your own home... concerts, plays, sporting events... just like anywhere else.

Some folks fire up the grill even in winter (and not just our friend Z here on the forum!); others send or go out for pizza and beer with friends.

I personally enjoy the quieter winter days and nights; it's a rest from the market garden, but I don't stay in unless I want to! Actually, I am one of those strange folk who enjoy shoveling snow!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Of course there are... Even if you don't have a snowmobile (I don't) you can always get out of doors, and dressed properly this is not an issue. This is Maine, not the Arctic. Many folks ski (cross country or downhill), take the kids or grandkids sledding (the old fashioned kind, where you walk up a hill and slide down on something), take hikes on snowshoes (which is something I do, often just strapping them on to walk to the back of my property to look for animal tracks, or sometimes to try walking the dogs). Dogs still need walking, and there are always inside events happening inside other places than your own home... concerts, plays, sporting events... just like anywhere else.

Some folks fire up the grill even in winter (and not just our friend Z here on the forum!); others send or go out for pizza and beer with friends.

I personally enjoy the quieter winter days and nights; it's a rest from the market garden, but I don't stay in unless I want to! Actually, I am one of those strange folk who enjoy shoveling snow!
That was exactly the point I was putting out there. The question was merely rhetorical. And even in the Arctic, people are doing something up there. You have a similar take on the cold as me. Put on some proper clothes and you can go outside. At least in the cold weather, I can put on layers. In hot, humid weather, that is a problem, for me at least. There is only so much you are allowed to take off, and it's still hot. I will take whatever cold weather Maine gets over the summer I'm currently dealing with in the Atlanta area. There's a reason it's called "Hot-lanta".

Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Anyone who has not lived in Maine for a considerable length of time cannot really understand the realities of living here. Winter starts early. I hope you like reading, watching movies, or drinking heavily because there is little else to do between October 30 and April 30. Cold and cozy is nice for a week or two but when it drags on for three or four months it gets REAL old. Lock yourself in your house for four months and you'll see what I mean. Mainers would make good astronauts on a trip to Mars . We're used to long periods of isolation and boredom.

Lest we keep in mind, weather in Presque Isle or Millinocket may be a *touch* different than say Rockland or Portland.

I personally enjoy working outdoors in Nov when temps are in the low 40's high 30's. Perfect quilted jean and flannel weather.

Heading North on the snowmachines is fun too.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:27 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I've got plenty to do indoors, doesn't bother me a bit.

Or you could be indoors down in 'paradise' till like November 15th in another two seasons climate.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Lest we keep in mind, weather in Presque Isle or Millinocket may be a *touch* different than say Rockland or Portland.

I personally enjoy working outdoors in Nov when temps are in the low 40's high 30's. Perfect quilted jean and flannel weather.

Heading North on the snowmachines is fun too.
Being on the coast would be different from being inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine