U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 PM

29,761 posts, read 47,638,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I agree. I cook meals as well; however, those box-o-meals would cease to exist if people weren't eating them, so I think marketing conditioning has done its job well.

Children who mouth back to an adult need their keister's kicked. Meh, call me old-fashioned, but I blame the parent for that.

It will be interesting to see (some 40 years down the road) what kind of ailments our mass-producing, genetically-manipulating, chemically-containing food supply brings to our anatomy. Personally, I hope to not be alive to see it by then. Who knows? Maybe we'll glow in the dark.
???

We already see it.

Today we have a selection of post-industrial diseases that were nearly non-existent 100 years ago.

"The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil" is a documentary about the changes that occurred when Cuba lost all petroleum import [along with all pre-cooked frozen packaged mass-produced, GMO, chemical-laden food imports].

Their diet mirrored ours, and their national health stats were very close to ours.

Ten years after: heart disease, obesity, diabetes and many cancers are gone from the island.

Vanished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,274,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

We already see it.

Today we have a selection of post-industrial diseases that were nearly non-existent 100 years ago.

"The Power of Community: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil" is a documentary about the changes that occurred when Cuba lost all petroleum import [along with all pre-cooked frozen packaged mass-produced, GMO, chemical-laden food imports].

Their diet mirrored ours, and their national health stats were very close to ours.

Ten years after: heart disease, obesity, diabetes and many cancers are gone from the island.

Vanished.
Yes - 'tis true. GMO food manipulation has actually been tinkered with since circa the 1940s. It makes me wonder if (aside from the increase in diagnosis) the current trend with Autism has less to do with vaccine, and more to do with other chemicals and messing with nature.

After all, as the old saying goes: "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."

Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 AM

399 posts, read 722,139 times
Quote:
Oh please. It's not 1959 anymore.

Many households now require two working parents to make ends meet, and mother (or father) is no longer home to cook a decent meal (even though truthfully, it's really no quicker to cook something whole than to open something processed half to death).

Even if she is home, chances are since she is expected to sit and supervise her child's ridiculous homework, she's going to buy a quick "box-o-crap" overpriced, "the cardboard box is better for you" ready meal because she'll likely be spending most of the night fighting with her kids over finishing what should have been done in school. Just sayin'

Nonetheless, the further that food moves from being 'from the ground to the table' the more likely you will be exposed to chemicals which have the potential to cause cancer down the road.

That's common sense. Eat less processed junk, don't do things that have been proven to wear on your body, and exercise. That's the bottom line IMO.
I had this happen last night. I was alone at home and wanted some quick dinner so I went looking and all I could find was a frozen dinner from what I thought was a very healthy and reputable source. No one else was home and I needed something fast. As I got this "ready meal" ready to cook I had to go to the back of the box and to my dismay read the ingredients. The potassium was around 1500 mg. the sodium at about 2500 mg. and the fat was uncontrollable. I thought "I can't eat this". I was just back from some testing at a Boston hospital so I'm feeling a little rightous and trying to be a little careful about my choices. I know in the past I would have just put this little tray in the microwave in the absence of anyone being around to cook dinner for and in my haste to eat something hot.
I put that dinner right back into the freezer and settled for something a lot healthier. The moral is we do have choices and can keep on making the right ones. It's time to reverse the mindset that fast is good and convenience outweighs good nutrition. Simply not true in the long run.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I had this happen last night. I was alone at home and wanted some quick dinner so I went looking and all I could find was a frozen dinner from what I thought was a very healthy and reputable source. No one else was home and I needed something fast. As I got this "ready meal" ready to cook I had to go to the back of the box and to my dismay read the ingredients. The potassium was around 1500 mg. the sodium at about 2500 mg. and the fat was uncontrollable. I thought "I can't eat this". I was just back from some testing at a Boston hospital so I'm feeling a little rightous and trying to be a little careful about my choices. I know in the past I would have just put this little tray in the microwave in the absence of anyone being around to cook dinner for and in my haste to eat something hot.
I put that dinner right back into the freezer and settled for something a lot healthier. The moral is we do have choices and can keep on making the right ones. It's time to reverse the mindset that fast is good and convenience outweighs good nutrition. Simply not true in the long run.

I once knew a delightfully practical elderly woman who told me that the only reason "any crap" sells as well as it does is because people refuse to employ a little "healthy cynicism" when it comes to slick advertisements "planting the seeds of suggestion."

We are conditioned to expect a pseudo-convenience IMO. Yet, it takes very little time to throw bread crumbs and freshly-dried spices into a ziploc bag and make a much healthier version of Shake N Bake than is on a store shelf.

Still, somehow, we are made to believe that it's quicker to use their prepackaged maltodextrin-ladened salts with a little modified cornstarch, and a dash of sodium aluminosilicate to keep it from clumping up while it sits upon the shelf for a year...or 12.

Having said that, I will admit that on occasion I buy a frozen entree that I like the taste of and no one in my house will ever lay their lips on, but for the most part, I've learned how to make smaller portions of those foods. Those are during my "too lazy to prepare" phases.

No one will ever be able to convince me that food processing measures like using transglutaminase to glue questionable scraps of meat together, and resell as a perfect-looking steak, doesn't reek havoc with a human body down the road in the form of some sort of cancerous tumor.

Last edited by cebdark; 10-25-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 2,898,589 times
After a routine office visit one day many moons ago, my doctor said to me, "no more processed food". Well, I stopped breathing for about a mintute and then realized that my life was going to change dramatically. Then, when I went home that evening, my son informed me that that he is no longer eating wheat products.

So, after looking at my doctors test results of my off the charts high triglycerides, I asked him if I broke any records and he said, Ha! I've seen worse. Maybe once.

So, the best advice I have ever heard about cancer or quality of life is: the older you get, eat less and excercise more. I just turned 60 yo and joined a 24 hour health club with my 23 yo son. He's a health nut and I'm a nut. So it works.

Cancer sucks.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
After a routine office visit one day many moons ago, my doctor said to me, "no more processed food". Well, I stopped breathing for about a mintute and then realized that my life was going to change dramatically. Then, when I went home that evening, my son informed me that that he is no longer eating wheat products.

So, after looking at my doctors test results of my off the charts high triglycerides, I asked him if I broke any records and he said, Ha! I've seen worse. Maybe once.

So, the best advice I have ever heard about cancer or quality of life is: the older you get, eat less and excercise more. I just turned 60 yo and joined a 24 hour health club with my 23 yo son. He's a health nut and I'm a nut. So it works.

Cancer sucks.

Ding! Get this man a prize. Calories in and calories out. It doesn't get much simpler than this concept (regardless of how much we want to eat well the easiest possible way).

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,156,888 times
Quote:
Ding! Get this man a prize. Calories in and calories out. It doesn't get much simpler than this concept (regardless of how much we want to eat well the easiest possible way).
Based on this simple concept, why are so many Mainers who are healthy weights getting cancer? My mother wasn't over or under weight. She got cancer and died.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,898,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Based on this simple concept, why are so many Mainers who are healthy weights getting cancer? My mother wasn't over or under weight. She got cancer and died.
I guess the weight and excercise thing is only part of it. The rest is a combination of dna, genes and luck.

Sorry about your mom. My mom died of cancer too. She got a rare form of a blood disease where only a few people in Maine get it each year. She went through several blood transfusions and one of her major symptoms was losing her balance and equalibrium and falling for no reason. My dad's sister died of lung cancer but never smoked a day in her life. I can only speculate that she had worked in shoe factories and woolen mills as a supervisor all her life around Skowhegan. Maybe they weren't such good places to be indoors 8 hours a day?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 PM

633 posts, read 1,212,928 times
I didnt know Maine have high cancer rate? Strange

I will tell you the biggest unknown thing is Microwave foods that cause cancer. That is my only guess and I dont eat Microwave foods anymore

Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post

In that case, I wasn't referring to cancer specifically. I was just happy that he gets the concept that there is no one way to become healthier in life. There's no quick fix or pill, and the only diet 'plan' which actually works (IMHO) is one that you'll stick to long term.

I'm sorry about your mother. I lost mine too (and my father to cancer which I believe was caused by a career bathing in toxic chemicals). My thoughts about why she went as quickly as she did include the fact that very shortly after the hell she went through watching my father die, her tapped immune system probably didn't have anything left over to fight with. She didn't eat much, and she slept even less. If nothing else, the stress she underwent certainly couldn't have helped her fight the cancer which was probably growing by then anyway.

When she was undergoing radiation treatment, I had interesting conversations with her oncologist at her weekly visits. His theory was that the human immune system is designed to attack cancer cells and win (and that most people wage battles with cancer more than once in their lifetimes successfully without even knowing it happened). I don't know, he could be wrong, but it does seem to make sense to me on some level.

Last edited by cebdark; 10-26-2011 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: fixed sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or