U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times

Advertisements

What does anything mean really?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 AM

3,577 posts, read 3,764,417 times
Hey u all, we're thinking of the Bath area if I've not already told ya. (Been hittin a few wines thus feelin fine. lol)

But is anyone from Sagadahoc County, & can compare Topsham to Bath. My g/f is on Soc. Security Disability & will be our only income -- til we land there. I'll need gainful money after that to add support as my bank'll run dry pretty quick, if I tap small savings accrued in AZ here over past few yrs.

We're orig. from back east so used to cold/ice/rain/snow, & people here in AZ think we crazy to move back but crime, heat & summers (& the like) are having us rethinking getting older so far from family out west here (other than a sis I got in San Diego.).

Ok, thanks a ton to all you do-gooders on here trying to add sanity to my decision. Nites when I imbibe, as like now, () I always come back to this love of Maine. Is this what happpens if you drink enough? Hahaha.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 AM

4,483 posts, read 7,951,431 times
Without looking at any cancer statistics, Maine is the oldest state in the nation. Many people come here to retire after a lifetime of living in various places. Cancer is a common disease in elderly people which Maine has an abundance of elderly. It comes as no surprise to me we have high rates of cancer.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,212,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
If we knew why the cancer rate in Maine was high, we'd fix it, but frankly with so many contributors to the diseaseS (so many types of cancer), and many being uneducated about some of those causes (such as the radon gas mentioned in another thread), it's difficult. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know. I'm sure on some level this must have been a rhetorical question.

So, as a cancer survivor I will add this. It doesn't matter *where* you live, it's *how* you live. You can't control everything so that you'll be guaranteed to never "get" cancer. You can control the quality of your own life. Find the place that speaks to your soul and adds value to your life.
My mothers mother died from cancer at 29 (uterine vs cervical not sure which) My mother died from bilateral breast ca. (alcoholic + passive smoke) I've had cryosurgery x2 in my early 20's for abnormal cells via pap smear. I've had a lumpectomy shortly after my mother passed. My gene pool is a train wreck so I totally understand where you're coming from and that's very good advice.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Without looking at any cancer statistics, Maine is the oldest state in the nation. Many people come here to retire after a lifetime of living in various places. Cancer is a common disease in elderly people which Maine has an abundance of elderly. It comes as no surprise to me we have high rates of cancer.
I do agree that many are retirees but states like AZ, FL & PA have as many - if not more - retirees per capita as ME (as most folks prefer warmth as the age/retire)

These states (even AZ & FL, which are full of elderly) have very moderate to even low cancer rates, & certainly nothing to rival the big numbers ME -- or the Atl. Canada area in general -- has.

Yes I know many elders love wintertime, but still, I'm not sure this'd be a definitive answer to why these rates are so high. Anyone agree? Thanks again though to all of you replying so far.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,267,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I do agree that many are retirees but states like AZ, FL & PA have as many - if not more - retirees per capita as ME (as most folks prefer warmth as the age/retire)

These states (even AZ & FL, which are full of elderly) have very moderate to even low cancer rates, & certainly nothing to rival the big numbers ME -- or the Atl. Canada area in general -- has.

Yes I know many elders love wintertime, but still, I'm not sure this'd be a definitive answer to why these rates are so high. Anyone agree? Thanks again though to all of you replying so far.

It could be that many people who live in Maine can't afford to retire in FL or warmer states; and not coincidentally, cannot afford many cancer treatments that Medicare won't cover, or will only cover a portion of the cost thereof.

Cancer treatments are incredibly expensive, and Medicare won't cover them all. I can (and do) see elderly people making the choice between care and lifestyle wants and/or needs on a daily basis.

Consider also that Maine has a pretty independent older population who are still self-employed (and have been most of their lives). These are the ones who will drop dead in the woods twitching trees or on some other job before they'll set foot into a doctor's office for cancer screenings or other preventative care.

These are other things to consider when you look at cancer statistics.

Last edited by cebdark; 07-20-2011 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
These states (even AZ & FL, which are full of elderly) have very moderate to even low cancer rates, & certainly nothing to rival the big numbers ME -- or the Atl. Canada area in general -- has. ...
While Florida does appear to have rates that are below the national average for Prostate, Lung, Colon, Bladder, Kidney, Leukemia and pancreas cancers.

Florida also has rates well above the national average for Skin and Oral cancers.

In fact Florida's Oral cancer rate [19.3/100,000] stands above Maine's [17.4/100,000]

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,267,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Consider also that Maine has a pretty independent older population who are still self-employed (and have been most of their lives). These are the ones who will drop dead in the woods twitching trees or on some other job before they'll set foot into a doctor's office for cancer screenings or other preventative care.

These are other things to consider when you look at cancer statistics.

Case in point: Maine farmer killed in tractor accident | wcsh6.com

"Maine State Police say a tractor accident has claimed the life of an 84-year-old farmer from Enfield."

He worked until he died. Who knows? Maybe at some point in life he had cancer.

Nevertheless, the worry of a statistical chance of contracting it didn't stop him from living in Maine.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Well we're still leaning toward ME as there's complications to me being a student in Canada, & g/f going w/ me while she's not a student & thus no student visa for her, while attending a Canadian grad school. Thus, despite my concerns over the cancer rates, I'll try to be reasonable & go w/ the flow. lol

Thanks guys & keep this discussion up w/ any new added updates.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Hi all, just wanted to ask what you thought of the Bath/Topsham area & the pollution nearer to Portland -- the only big city really that has most people, cars, etc. I know there's power plants, industries, etc. that I have no idea about in areas, but maybe Topsham or Bath would be ok? Both are proximal to Portland for "big city" needs yet far enough to still have a nice feel. Ok, if anyone can comment on those areas that'd be great. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or