Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM

75 posts, read 195,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I'm closing in on 50, no allergies, bp 115 over 70-, cholesterol is 160- just had a physical, blood work came out normal- the dr. said he's pay to have my stats-
, haven't had a cold/flu in years
is this nature or nurture??

If most of what we read was true- id have passed 10 years ago, with my diet

Ive seen too much suffering amongst those who shouldnt be sick/afflicted, life can be cruel paradox to many doing the right thing

I like my rib-eyes, blizzards, and burgers too much to give them up
and until people start approaching the obese folks at mcdonalds and tell them they are killing themselves- I dont want to hear it either

Last week, a long haired fruitloop was telling his friend at dunkin donuts how that donut is going to kill him, told him the bleached white flour, and all the other chemicals will fill him with cancer
as I walked out , I saw the same long haired know it all smoking a cigarrette!!????
You are lucky, probably genetics. For the rest of us, we need to be cognizant of our eating choices in life and what we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,183,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I'm closing in on 50, no allergies, bp 115 over 70-, cholesterol is 160- just had a physical, blood work came out normal- the dr. said he's pay to have my stats-
, haven't had a cold/flu in years
is this nature or nurture??
Well, the cold thing is age. The older you get, the fewer colds viruses you HAVEN'T yet been exposed to, so the fewer colds.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Well, this is what I think. The day you were born you had a date stamped on your forehead... the day you are going to die if you don't do something to shorten your life. So, from that day foreward, all you do is move that day backwards. If you smoke, it clicks back. If you are mobidly obese, it clicks back. If you catch HIV, it clicks back. If you ride a motorcycle, it clicks back. An on and on and on. I don't think there is a thing we can do to move the forward.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I think those lifestyle changes are difficult but totally possible. My oldest daughter, who lives with me, has totally changed her diet to mostly fruit, veggies, and fish. As a result she has lost much weight and looks really fit. She also had severe epilepsy which seems to be well controlled and she believes it is partly due to the food she eats. The problem with me, although I do eat some organic foods, is that it is difficult to go to a Whole Foods store and spend $9.00 a pound for hamburger. But knowledge has helped change all of our eating and living habits for the better and more exercise and better foods definitely make a huge difference.
I agree with this, and I have dealt with pushing more "naturally raised, grass fed, or locally grown beef" to more stores in maine to sell

here's the issue, if you put 100 mainers in a room and asked, would you like to buy more of these meat items, everyone will raise their hands, then ask, who is going to pay 7-8lb for burger, or 17.00 for rib-eyes, 8lb for stew,
very few will raise their hands- I pushed wolfneck farms beef a few years back to over 20 stores in maine-this was all locally grown beef, no hormones, no vaccines, had plenty of signage explaining what it is etc, only two stores could sell it, that originally tried- because of such high cost/retails

I met this past saturday, to push grass fed beef to a store that sells a ton of meat, and while the owner has had some interest from a few customers-theirs no way he said he could sell at the higher prices. He also stated, most of his customers wouldnt like the flavor of grass fed beef and it's tougher- all true.

I think there are more folks who may want to buy what is perceived as better meats, and perhaps with time, the costs will come down. There are more people buying critters and sides from local farmers than years ago, and local processors are seeing more of an interest also- the co-ops and specialty stores do o.k.

Im generalizing here, but mainers love cheap, for most it's a necessity, if you have to fill your oil tank and it costs $700-800, and money is tight, you do look at prices,
my grandmother would drive 15 miles to save 5 cents a pound on a chicken

Halfabuck, you hit the nail on the head with lifestyle, exercising

our lifestyles are very sedentary-we are in the technology age- more people sit on their butt, in front of a computer/tv/ even "working" from a computer, than exercising
a day in the life 30, 60, 200, years ago, was much more physical work-which our bodies are built for-
still waters collect algae and bacteria, running waters are much cleaner- I think thats how are bodies are also

Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 AM

I would not say just mainers are cheap, EVERYONE loves a bargain, be in MT or ME. People like to say they are interested in their health, but when it comes right down to it, they make their choices with their dollar. I like beef, but I will not pay $9lb, nor will I buy factory farm beef. So I do without. This is the problem with people these days....they do not know how to do without.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Although I appreciate everyone's fears about the stuff fed to the animals we eat, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Every day people flush all kinds of things into the public sewer systems and into their septic tanks. Antibiotics, hormones, chemicals, etc all enter our water supply and we are drinking them and breathing them every time we drink or shower. But, before people start screaming and jumping off cliffs, we are also living longer than we ever had. So, I guess everything has a price.

Last edited by bangorme; 10-12-2011 at 09:27 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 09:30 AM

I feel for the people who live in the city, drinking out of a well I do not have to deal with those meds, hormones, etc etc. Sadly, because of medical advances, there are people alive today who really should not be. A cruel truth, but an honest one. We have too many people on earth. Modern medicine is partially to blame.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 AM

30,232 posts, read 15,995,196 times
I feel sorry for medical professionals. darned if ya do; darned if ya don't.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:37 PM

341 posts, read 638,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
I would not say just mainers are cheap, EVERYONE loves a bargain, be in MT or ME. People like to say they are interested in their health, but when it comes right down to it, they make their choices with their dollar. I like beef, but I will not pay $9lb, nor will I buy factory farm beef. So I do without. This is the problem with people these days....they do not know how to do without.
I agree not just mainers but...

I was a "beekeeper" long time ago and I know how was difficult to sell honey. Ask yourself how much people spent yearly for hone? 20, 50, 100$ And now ask yourself how much spent yearly for beer, wine, liquor???

Thanks.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,135,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I feel sorry for medical professionals. darned if ya do; darned if ya don't.
True dat.

I guess in the grand scheme of things (including the fear of cancer) I'm with him:

"The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine