Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times

Advertisements

Lots of cancer throughout my family in Maine. I visited my doctor once a few years ago, gave him my family history, and then we talked for a bit. He finally said, well Roger, we all die of cancer eventually. I think he was kidding but was making a point that once upon a time, it was just called old age.

The older I get, I try to eat less and exercise more. If I still have a date stamp in me somewhere, at least my quality of life is better. But I'll be darned if my weight doesn't change at all. I would have to starve myself and take up jogging again to get down to my ideal weight. And that would be a bad quality of life at my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 06:51 PM

75 posts, read 196,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Wow.
I don't see what the problem is, it's the kids that are a problem these days, it's the parents who cater to their every whim and get taken back when a statement is made like the one I made.

Our society has gotten too soft on kids, this is why we have shiftless overweight, misbehaving brats and the ME generation.

To keep this on subject; if the parents do not start behaving like parents and less like friends, kids will continue to eat poorly and will live not outlive their parents. It's already happening with Type 2 diabetes and obesity epidemics. So yes, if they don't want to eat healthy food in front of them....THEY CAN STARVE

Old 10-13-2011, 07:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
My turn.

Wow.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:37 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven;21276372[B
]I don't see what the problem is, it's the kids that are a problem these days[/b], it's the parents who cater to their every whim and get taken back when a statement is made like the one I made.

Our society has gotten too soft on kids, this is why we have shiftless overweight, misbehaving brats and the ME generation.

To keep this on subject; if the parents do not start behaving like parents and less like friends, kids will continue to eat poorly and will live not outlive their parents. It's already happening with Type 2 diabetes and obesity epidemics. So yes, if they don't want to eat healthy food in front of them....THEY CAN STARVE

I thought you didn't see the problem? Oops, sarcasm slipped a gear.

I could agree with you to a point, but you seem to go to extremes on most posts. Not sure if it's because of the anonymity or if your real name is Quimby. Kidding. There's a lot better ways of keeping kids fit and controling/negating Type II diabetes than starvation therapy. About time to get real isn't it?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Blanket statements..... off-topic, inappropriate, untrue....

hmmm.... what's the thing from under the bridge in children's lit.....

let me add: WOW.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 AM

75 posts, read 196,849 times
On topic, true, and truths people don't want to hear. When your kids die from cancer because you fed them the wrong things and brought them up to eat poorly you will wonder where you went wrong.

I suppose no one here was ever hit with a ruler by a nun? I guess that's wrong too?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:21 AM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
I did go to school with some fearsome nuns. Though I fail to see what my catholic school education has to do with feeing my kids.

I have always let my kids help plan meals - and they have managed to eat plenty of fruits & veggies, and avoid diabetes and obesity. Plus there are no mealtime arguments because they have helped with the meal. No need to make mealtime a battle when you can still get them to do what you want them to, conflict-free.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
On topic, true, and truths people don't want to hear....
Maybe so, but in *this* Maine relocation forum, there are rules. "On topic" is one of them. That might not be so in other forums you visit regularly, but it's been reinforced here, and enforced by the mods. Inflammatory and derogatory statements are also not allowed. Have you read the TOS?

I have much more I'd like to say regarding your feeling that it's not only appropriate, but good parenting to starve your child, but since it's most definitely "off topic" I'll refrain.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Maybe so, but in *this* Maine relocation forum, there are rules. "On topic" is one of them. That might not be so in other forums you visit regularly, but it's been reinforced here, and enforced by the mods. Inflammatory and derogatory statements are also not allowed. Have you read the TOS?
Well Molly, but you AREN'T the moderator btw. This forum has been so over-moderated that is has become overly-boring to the extreme IMHO.

But, anyway. I'm not sure that diet is going to protect you from cancer. It can protect you from obesity, which is the major cause of the explosion of type 2 diabetes. To bring this into context (Maine), this state has major problems in this area. I believe it has something to do with poverty and the fact that it is a big state that is very spread out. Endocrinologists are few and far between, so if you want to move to Maine and need one, check it out first.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well Molly, but you AREN'T the moderator btw. This forum has been so over-moderated that is has become overly-boring to the extreme IMHO.
and isn't *that* something to be thankful for!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine