U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 03:50 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,519,770 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Valley folks have a distinct accent (some of them live in other parts of the County, or downstate, so you can hear it there too.) They're French.
You can find that downeast accent in the County, but it's more common to find it in combination with the inland one. That "mix" is the predominant accent outside of the Valley. There are also some people who just have the inland accent.
Collins does have some speech issues which make her a poor example of anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Susan Collins suffers from something called Spasmotic Dysphonia. She can't help the way she talks and any accent she may have is unique to her alone.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Susan Collins suffers from something called Spasmotic Dysphonia. She can't help the way she talks and any accent she may have is unique to her alone.
Exactly right.

Susan doesn't sound a thing like the rest of her family. Sam, her brother, has a different speech pattern as well that is different than either their Father or the other brother I know.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
... Apparently, the Eastern New England accent or "Maine accent" can be heard up and down the Maine coast from Kittery to at least Bar Harbor.
That far?

'up and down the coast' all the way from Kittery to Bar Harbor?

LOL

Quote:
... In Maine, I've never traveled further north than Portland, but I still remember hearing the accent in almost every community that I visited ...
Well, there you are. You have clearly traveled 95% of Maine, you have seen it all.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,325,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
More of a pronounced "R" and enunciated words as opposed to the rest of us who speak normally. Same with Ms Collins.
HAH! Awesome

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,405,270 times
The "Maine accent" is fast disappearing south of Portland, although you can still hear it commonly along the coast all the way up to Calais. It's the remnant of the English accent the original settlers had -- my English cousins say it's very similar to the accent around the Bristol region there. The St. John Valley accent is French-Canadian, the accent you hear in people who grew up speaking French. Inland Maine has sort of a "non-accent" to my ear that perhaps is the inland North accent the OP is talking about.

I had a long discussion once with a person who insisted that the Valley accent was the same as the coastal accent. Could not get him to see that the accent in Madawaska is very difference from the accent in Jonesport.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender
More of a pronounced "R" and enunciated words as opposed to the rest of us who speak normally. Same with Ms Collins.

Do you really think there is such a thing as speaking normally? What exactly is "normally?" Normally for who?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA
... Apparently, the Eastern New England accent or "Maine accent" can be heard up and down the Maine coast from Kittery to at least Bar Harbor.

.. In Maine, I've never traveled further north than Portland, but I still remember hearing the accent in almost every community that I visited ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
That far?

'up and down the coast' all the way from Kittery to Bar Harbor?

LOL

Well, there you are. You have clearly traveled 95% of Maine, you have seen it all.

Don't leave out Washington County, please.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't think of Sen. Collins as having an accent. I know of nobody else that speaks as she does. She has a pronounced lisp and shortness of breath.

One conclusion I have made about Maine's coastal accent is all children learned to speak from people who had colds. Think about that. A linguistic professor at UMO was intrigued by the idea, I don't know if he ever pursued it.
ok, I've thought about it. These comments about coastal colds and learning to speak are two of the most ridiculous things I have ever read--we're all entitled to our opinions I guess.

Apparently the cold epidemic spread inland and affected Ashley from Madawaska. Talk about nasal...

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender

Do you really think there is such a thing as speaking normally? What exactly is "normally?" Normally for who?
Me. Who else? You don't think I'm normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine