U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,623,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Surveys and studies have shown that there are more than enough people in the "movable middle" in Maine to decide this issue once and for all....

...who feel uncomfortable turning their backs on the sensitive young nephew or their artistic god child or their Uncle and his "friend."
This is absolute not true. If it were, there would have been a majority of states voting to support your cause. NONE HAVE! I mean, those are the facts, let's try to use them and not live in a fantasy world.

And btw, gay people aren't especially artistic or sensitive or anything. One of my teammates on my college wrestling team was gay, and he was anything but fitting your description. That's the problem with stereotyping.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:29 PM

20,834 posts, read 15,600,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Exactly! Mind your own Damned business people.
Quote:
Like I said before I don't care either way and even though I vote conservatively it has never been a driving issue with me. I believe people have the right to do what they want to do as long as no one is hurt in the process. I also believe the best thing people can do for society in general is mind your own business as msina says. My guess is when Obama is hammered in the next election cycle gay marriage will take a back seat, to be addressed only by individual states, and will pass or not depending on the make up of that state's majority population, religious views, and tolerance level. It really does not affect anyone. Those offended by the thought of it cannot understand that there really can be love between people of the same sex regardless of whether you find it distasteful or not. Love is universal and it is not our place to tell people of any sexual persuasion they cannot fall in love. If they are willing to live under the marriage laws of the state they are in we do not need to stand in their way. AGAIN I think it's up to the majority of people in the state and not a legislative issue. Don't preach morality until your religion whatever it may be is sin free. I WAS Catholic....talk about a can of worms.
Hard to judge others after the center of your religion has fallen into the abyss.
:::round of applause:::

Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,844,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I'm not sure what you intend here, but an assault weapon is not a legal contract. An assault weapon is a thing. BTW, ever heard of the second amendment? That's an idea, let's stop all this gay marriage stuff until an amendment gets added to the constitution!!!!!!! Then I'd have no problems with it being called a "right."
It does not need to be added to the constitution, it needs to be legalized the same way interracial marriage was legalized in 1967. It will require a supreme court ruling to make it legal at the federal level.
My analogy was to point out that you (as a group not you personally) should respect others choices/beliefs/rights. Who the hell made you (again not personally, figuratively) the morality police.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,256,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Who the hell made you (again not personally, figuratively) the morality police.
So lets make the government the morality police? I mean, you just shut out all those who can make a very good case for polygamy based on religious grounds and that is spelled out very clear in the 1st amendment much like the 2nd. Why not allow a man to have 2-3 wives if everyone is an adult and consenting?

Do you believe in freedom and liberty? If so, why would you continue a policy that takes away people's freedom and liberty? Not that it is, but if it were illegal for homosexuals to marry, is that not infringing on their liberty? By making it a legal precidence which carries with it certain weights and consequences does that not infringe on the liberty of those who personally oppose it?

See, I don't care if you have a homosexual parade and demonstration downtown. I don't care if two guy decide what's best for them is to "marry". However, I also don't care if people go in the town square and preach their mindset and view against it.

It's called freedom, and being an adult. We can all decide for ourselves what's right for us and our family. Making it "law" in the end restricts everyone.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,844,750 times
Quote:
It's called freedom, and being an adult. We can all decide for ourselves what's right for us and our family. Making it "law" in the end restricts everyone.
And the fact that it's ILLEGAL is an infringement of the rights of others. Citing your "Freedom" to infringe on anothers "Freedom" is crap.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM

326 posts, read 362,641 times
Regardless what some people think, believe or want. It will pass. It will be a normal everyday occurrence. Quite banal actually.
When? Nobody knows, quite soon I think, and hope!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,256,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
And the fact that it's ILLEGAL is an infringement of the rights of others. Citing your "Freedom" to infringe on anothers "Freedom" is crap.
So it's illegal? Really? Who went to jail for for being a same sex couple? Just curious. Can you quote a source? As was already stated, just because something is not legal, doesn't make it illegal.

As for the liberty and freedom infringements...I can assure you where I am currently planted there are PLENTY of people who do not agree with same sex marriage - which was passed, who are bent six ways to Sunday about certain public school curriculum's that are now being introduced forcing their kids to be taught various things about same sex marriage. That, my friend is in deed a violation of those parent's rights and "liberty". Specifically in the 1st amendment that says
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
That last one is a real b*tch for those who hate religious people.

In short, when something becomes "law" it forces others into a box. I guess one just hopes they are on the "good" side of said law. I just prefer they don't pass the stupid law to begin with and let people just "live".

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,156,997 times
This is crazy talk. Look....... for those of you who don't know me I'm Rush Limbaugh right. I have a Sarah Palin for President yard sign in my front yard as I write this. Today I drank my first bottle of Rush Limbaugh's Two if By Tea iced tea he just released last week.(it's really good by the way and $100,000 a month, yes.. a hundred thousand a month, goes to the children of wounded US Marines and federal law enforcement officer's for their college education, a worthy cause in my opinion.) I don't apologize for what I believe and I think that people should be left alone to do as they please. What in Great God's Earth does it hurt a heterosexual couple if a gay couple is "married"??? It's the word marriage I believe. "Marriage" is the basis for the whole objection to gay couples being joined legally. If it's SUCH a big deal then define it by gender if you need to. Gays that I have met don't mind being called Gay....they are !! So call it GAY marriage... who gives a bleep. As long as gay people are allowed the same legal rights as heterosexual couples call it bananna cream pie for all I care. Are we REALLY going to get hung up on a stupid definition? It's like someone naming the Maine hockey team the Yankees... I suspect it would offend baseball fans all over the state but you know what...it's just a name!! Leave people alone and maybe they will leave you alone. Chances are if gay marriage is approved by the voters your church will be the same, the grocery store will still stock the same items, hunting season won't go away,Gays won't be confiscating guns, it will still be cold in the winter, and gay lifestyles will not be taught as the majority lifestyle in public schools. As I have said three times now THE PUBLIC SHOULD DECIDE. Then we will know that which ever side wins there is a majority in favor of that position. Eventually it will most likely pass....life is different than we grew up. Times have changed. We can argue for better of worse but the change is upon us and we have to deal with it in a civil manner. I've said all I need to on this subject.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM

326 posts, read 362,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
This is crazy talk. Look....... for those of you who don't know me I'm Rush Limbaugh right. I have a Sarah Palin for President yard sign in my front yard as I write this. Today I drank my first bottle of Rush Limbaugh's Two if By Tea iced tea he just released last week.(it's really good by the way and $100,000 a month, yes.. a hundred thousand a month, goes to the children of wounded US Marines and federal law enforcement officer's for their college education, a worthy cause in my opinion.) I don't apologize for what I believe and I think that people should be left alone to do as they please. What in Great God's Earth does it hurt a heterosexual couple if a gay couple is "married"??? It's the word marriage I believe. "Marriage" is the basis for the whole objection to gay couples being joined legally. If it's SUCH a big deal then define it by gender if you need to. Gays that I have met don't mind being called Gay....they are !! So call it GAY marriage... who gives a bleep. As long as gay people are allowed the same legal rights as heterosexual couples call it bananna cream pie for all I care. Are we REALLY going to get hung up on a stupid definition? It's like someone naming the Maine hockey team the Yankees... I suspect it would offend baseball fans all over the state but you know what...it's just a name!! Leave people alone and maybe they will leave you alone. Chances are if gay marriage is approved by the voters your church will be the same, the grocery store will still stock the same items, hunting season won't go away,Gays won't be confiscating guns, it will still be cold in the winter, and gay lifestyles will not be taught as the majority lifestyle in public schools. As I have said three times now THE PUBLIC SHOULD DECIDE. Then we will know that which ever side wins there is a majority in favor of that position. Eventually it will most likely pass....life is different than we grew up. Times have changed. We can argue for better of worse but the change is upon us and we have to deal with it in a civil manner. I've said all I need to on this subject.
Maineah,
I said it once and I say it again... You really surprise me sometimes! In a good way I say that. You're a good guy.
Now go to your lawn and take that sign down! LOL

Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,156,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Maineah,
I said it once and I say it again... You really surprise me sometimes! In a good way I say that. You're a good guy.
Now go to your lawn and take that sign down! LOL
My brother is just as far left as I am right. We're best friends. We talk, we agree, we disagree and we rib each other endlessly. Sometimes it gets heated, most times it doesn't. I'm fortunate (as he is) to have a clear view of the other side in most political matters. It's really funny how even though we are miles apart politically we don't let it rule us. We usually find a common ground in the center and THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!
The sign stays ...I may replace it with a Michelle Bachman sign though!!
I loved her band....Bachman Turner Overdrive.... "You ain't seen nothin' yet".
(that was a joke for the misinformed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or