U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 104,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You HAVE to be kidding me. This is the most ridiculous site you could ever send me. It is clearly run by people who are on the fringes of society. Their liberal uses of the words indoctrination and brainwashing aren't stretching it.. they're dead wrong! Seriously, man... REALLY??

Their first video is from a PRIVATE, RELIGIOUS SCHOOL. I've spent most of the past 6 years in Cambridge, MA and am well aware of the Cambridge Friends School. It is a private school run by a religious organization (and right down the street from my old apartment)! Parents choose to have their kids go there! Are you for religious freedom or not?? You are BLEEDING hypocrisy right now.

The second video is harmless. A girl reading her essay. The teacher actually does a really good job to NOT promote any of his own views. He has his class discuss the issue and even says that in discussions people don't always agree but should listen to each other and try and understand each other's positions. THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT, UNIVERSAL LESSONS. Is this your best evidence at the gay agenda being spread through EVIL BRAINWASHING OF OUR CHILDREN?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM

20,994 posts, read 15,708,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Uh huh. You don't have this mess in Maine yet, we do in Southern New England. A lot of the same naievete attitude was displayed when the debate was on here too.

Here is one example.

Homosexuals brainwashing our children in elementary schools
Ok, you asked me to watch the video. However, the very first thing I do is I find out who is distributing the video.

You have linked to mass resistance which is NOTORIOUS for being an anti-gay hate group and makes people on the right look bad. They have stated that gays were NOT targeted during the Holocaust BUT they compare the gay movement to Nazis. Sorry, no, once you start throwing around the Nazi rhetoric, you lose all credibility with me.

I then looked at who created the video. Groundspark did and the people, according to that site, hail from San Francisco which I'll be honest, had me ready to put up a wall of defense because CA has some strange people in it and I don't agree with darn near anything that comes out of that state.

Nonetheless, I did watch the video, as you asked and I have to tell you, this does not help your case at all.

These kids are not being "indoctrinated". They are not being told that they have to be gay, they are being taught that some people in this world are different and it is NOT ok to bully them or insult them just because of it. Which, frankly, should, (emphasis on "should"), go right up the alley of those who are religious.

Again, as I said in an earlier post, you are free to practice your religion, your rights are not being infringed. You are free to teach your children about your religious beliefs. You are free to guide them and teach them your values. That right is not being infringed upon. And, to me, if you were true in your religion, as I said, you would not spend such a considerable amount of time bad mouthing or trashing someone because they are different than you even if you don't believe that what they do, their lifestyle, is "right" or Godly.

The Bible that I know teaches acceptance. It teaches us to be kind to all. It teaches us not to judge others. It teaches us how to be better people and to be "right with God". It does not teach hatred. It does not teach us to judge others. It does not teach us to bully or insult people.

That is what the video is about...teaching kids, from a young age, to be kind to people no matter what. THAT is what the Bible that I was raised on and read taught me.

Further, those kids were speaking for themselves. The one girl who said, "it makes you feel weird in your stomach", that was a true feeling she had when she heard people using other words to describe gay people.

The child talking about being open minded and defining it to be like not trying a new vegetable because you know you don't like veggies so you won't try any new veggies...he was speaking for himself.

Where anyone would get the idea that these kids are being brainwashed is beyond me. That is a serious stretch...serious stretch. It's trying to find something that isn't there.

Second video: How is it that a 3rd grader can be adult enough to say, in her essay, "I respect that is how they think and I can't do anything about it" but some adults can not respect that some people in this world share a different lifestyle than they do? Fascinating.

Then the class sits in groups and discusses with each other whether they agree or disagree that gays should get married. I'm sorry, how is this bad? It's taking a real time social issue and teaching the kids to think critically, share their ideas, stand up for what they think and listen to other viewpoints. This is bad, is it? Huh.

At one point, one kid says, of those who oppose gay marriage "It's like they want to be the bosses of other people." Kid says it well.

However, no one told any kid they were wrong or right. And those kids can go home and discuss what happened at school and their parent then has the opportunity to teach them their values and religious beliefs.

So, sorry, your videos did not have the affect on me you were hoping for. I think they had the opposite affect.

Anyway, that's the last on this from me because others are right, this should be over in the political forum now. Just wanted to respond since you asked me to watch the videos.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,182,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm getting my nordic walking sticks now...
I know what you mean. My eyes crossed AND GLAZED OVER TWO PAGES AGO........

Old 06-28-2011, 09:32 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,204,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I know what you mean. My eyes crossed AND GLAZED OVER TWO PAGES AGO........
Mod Note:

Your eyes?????

I have an optometrist at the top of my speed dial.

While there was some initial discussion relating to Maine, thanks to the efforts of a couple of members, it seems to have gone by the wayside.

Thanks to the many regular members who showed much restraint in dealing with a very touchy topic.

Let's revisit this one when the premise moves from the theoretical to the actual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or