Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
It will come to pass. Within the next few years it will be legal throughout the country. I'm sick to death of those that continuously complain about governments role in legislating "THEIR" personal freedoms yet, demand that the personal freedoms of others be supressed. Hipocrisy at it's finest.
[QUOTE]....It's none of my business...It does not directly affect me in any way and if it makes people happier and more secure in their lives I see little point in fighting it
Exactly! Mind your own Damned business people.[/quote]

God Bless You msina.....always a voice of reason and common sense!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
It will come to pass. Within the next few years it will be legal throughout the country. I'm sick to death of those that continuously complain about governments role in legislating "THEIR" personal freedoms yet, demand that the personal freedoms of others be supressed. Hipocrisy at it's finest.
[QUOTE]....It's none of my business...It does not directly affect me in any way and if it makes people happier and more secure in their lives I see little point in fighting it
Exactly! Mind your own Damned business people.[/quote]Like I said before I don't care either way and even though I vote conservatively it has never been a driving issue with me. I believe people have the right to do what they want to do as long as no one is hurt in the process. I also believe the best thing people can do for society in general is mind your own business as msina says. My guess is when Obama is hammered in the next election cycle gay marriage will take a back seat, to be addressed only by individual states, and will pass or not depending on the make up of that state's majority population, religious views, and tolerance level. It really does not affect anyone. Those offended by the thought of it cannot understand that there really can be love between people of the same sex regardless of whether you find it distasteful or not. Love is universal and it is not our place to tell people of any sexual persuasion they cannot fall in love. If they are willing to live under the marriage laws of the state they are in we do not need to stand in their way. AGAIN I think it's up to the majority of people in the state and not a legislative issue. Don't preach morality until your religion whatever it may be is sin free. I WAS Catholic....talk about a can of worms.
Hard to judge others after the center of your religion has fallen into the abyss.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have a constitutional right to married the person I choose....not who you or even the majority would choose for me.
Not for nothing elston but I'm having hard time finding that section of the constitution. Care to point out where it clearly says marriage is a right and not a privilege?

Furthermore, I've always wondered what's stopping you from going to a church that condones homosexual marriage and doing it to it? Are you saying the piece of paper from the state is what defines your relationship?

The only reason my wife and I have a piece of paper is the state we got married in said we had to for a pastor to perform the ceremony. (Something I'm against. )

I'm of the opposite bent here. I don't think the government has ANY business marrying people. (Or divorcing them for that matter.)

Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Surveys and studies have shown that there are more than enough people in the "movable middle" in Maine to decide this issue once and for all. The goal of the movement to win Marriage Equality in Maine...is to reach the "movable middle"....not to convert the hard right and ideologues. So I am not going to continue to post here and do battle with those posters whose minds are made up.....I am reaching out to the people in the pews, granges, and Knights of Columbus, the PTA and all the neighborhood organizations.... who feel uncomfortable turning their backs on the sensitive young nephew or their artistic god child or their Uncle and his "friend" who come to every Thanksgiving....or the soccer star or ballet dancer or politician in their family or neighborhood...to their own children or neighbor's child....The Good People in the Reachable Middle will decide this issue.....I have faith in the goodness of the American people. It will come. God Bless America.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

I'm of the opposite bent here. I don't think the government has ANY business marrying people. (Or divorcing them for that matter.)
Regardless of what you think the ideal situation is, the reality is that the government is in the business of marrying people. They should apply the law uniformly.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence and considered by some as part of one of the most well crafted, influential sentences in the history of the English language. These three aspects are listed among the "unalienable rights" or sovereign rights of man.
If you don't "believe" in same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex but, don't force your "beliefs" on others. I don't "believe" that "assault weapons" have any use in society, so I don't own one but,.. if you do it's your business.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Regardless of what you think the ideal situation is, the reality is that the government is in the business of marrying people. They should apply the law uniformly.
Or get out of it. If you can move the laws one way, why not the other? Simple really. More government is not the solution. Everyone wants mother government to say their viewpoint is the right one. Well...not everyone.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,774 times
Do y'all think that Maine will be the next state in New England to legalize same-sex marriage or do y'all think that Rhode Island will be?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:13 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So you must also be aginst divorce of heterosexual couples right? If same-sex marriage destroyed 'the purpose' of marriage (whatever that might be), then it follows that divorce must also...

I'm sure you have friends who are divorced...do you tell them that that they are destroying "the purpose" of marriage ?
Sorry, got no idea what point you are making here. Divorce is the dissolution of the marriage contract. Getting your driver's license recinded doesn't destroy the purpose of a driver's license.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
If you don't "believe" in same sex marriage, don't marry someone of the same sex but, don't force your "beliefs" on others. I don't "believe" that "assault weapons" have any use in society, so I don't own one but,.. if you do it's your business.
I'm not sure what you intend here, but an assault weapon is not a legal contract. An assault weapon is a thing. BTW, ever heard of the second amendment? That's an idea, let's stop all this gay marriage stuff until an amendment gets added to the constitution!!!!!!! Then I'd have no problems with it being called a "right."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine