U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM

490 posts, read 862,060 times

Advertisements

In May of 2009, former Governor Baldacci signed a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the State of Maine, following legislative approval. But, after a voter referendum in November of that year, the same-sex marriage law was overturned before it could become effective. As of last week, New York has become the sixth state and seventh jurisdiction in the United States to allow same-sex marriage. Are any Maine residents under the impression that the passage of a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in New York will help rebuild the momentum among Maine residents who are proponents of same-sex marriage? Will the same-sex marriage debate arise in Maine once again? Will another bill legalizing same-sex marriage be introduced in the Maine legislature in the near future?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM

885 posts, read 1,190,852 times
probably not PC but I don't care......hopefully it's a dead issue.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,120,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
In May of 2009, former Governor Baldacci signed a bill that would legalize same-sex marriage in the State of Maine, following legislative approval. But, after a voter referendum in November of that year, the same-sex marriage law was overturned before it could become effective. As of last week, New York has become the sixth state and seventh jurisdiction in the United States to allow same-sex marriage. Are any Maine residents under the impression that the passage of a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in New York will help rebuild the momentum among Maine residents who are proponents of same-sex marriage? Will the same-sex marriage debate arise in Maine once again? Will another bill legalizing same-sex marriage be introduced in the Maine legislature in the near future?
Every state where THE PEOPLE have voted on the question of Gay Marriage it has been stopped or overturned. A legislative initiative was not what the people of Maine wanted to be the deciding factor in determining what they considered a moral issue not just a legal one. Yes it may come up again and most likely will. It may very well pass next time as it was close the last time. Personally I could care less if gays marry....It's none of my business...It does not directly affect me in any way and if it makes people happier and more secure in their lives I see little point in fighting it. I do think it is for the people to decide however.
There are much more important issues in my opinion which need addressing. I'd much rather it is decided in referrendum by the voters than become law by executive fiat or legislative initiative. It means more when the people decide.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,211,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
probably not PC but I don't care......hopefully it's a dead issue.
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Every state where THE PEOPLE have voted on the question of Gay Marriage it has been stopped or overturned. A legislative initiative was not what the people of Maine wanted to be the deciding factor in determining what they considered a moral issue not just a legal one. Yes it may come up again and most likely will. It may very well pass next time as it was close the last time. Personally I could care less if gays marry....It's none of my business...It does not directly affect me in any way and if it makes people happier and more secure in their lives I see little point in fighting it. I do think it is for the people to decide however.
There are much more important issues in my opinion which need addressing. I'd much rather it is decided in referrendum by the voters than become law by executive fiat or legislative initiative. It means more when the people decide.
x3

Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,940,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
This was heavily debated on this Forum.. It was my opinion that the fight was a moral one.. I am not saying whether it is or isnt moral.. its just a moral fight.. It is clear the people who do not want to see this generally cite moral reasons.. I felt the proponants chose poorly in trying to make it an issue about civil rights..

To answer your question... Yes I do believe this issue will rise again in Maine.. I feel when it comes to moral debates (cant think of a better term) the writing is on the wall... eventually there will be enough people who just feel this is no big deal... And it will eventually happen.. when?? I have no idea..

But with regards to Maineah's comments.. I agree! I dont think this is the kind of issue that needs to be crammed down anyones throats.. It was the way the "then" governor forced it upon us that brought citizens out of the woodwork and forced a referrendum..

Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 PM

38,445 posts, read 18,204,254 times
Default Standing On The Side Of Love

Since it directly effects me....I will respond.

It is highly probably that the issue will come before the people of the State of Maine again....not thru the legislature...but as a referendum issue, to be decided by the voters. I believe that it is very likely that it will pass this time.....it was narrowly defeated last time and the momentum is on our side......and the campaign has already started. The Gov. doesnt have veto power over a referendum.

I am a senior citizen and have some health conditions.....but I still expect that I will live to be able to have my relationship recognized by the State of Maine.

It is ironic that altho our country professes the seperation of church and state.....my church is ready and willing to marry us.....the only obstacle to my legal marriage ...is a coalition of religious organizations and their financial and political influence.....The Catholic Church and the Church of Latter Day Saints (Morman) have at one time or another suffered prejudice and ostracism but now are the ones denying me the right to marry the person of my choice.....so much for the Golden Rule.

If these churches attempted to block divorce and to annul second marriages except for widows and widowers......more people might recognize that the right to marry is profound and important.....and the state should not use its power to deny equal protection under the law.....based on the religious beliefs of some of the citizens.

Last edited by elston; 06-27-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM

43 posts, read 103,637 times
I find it frustrating yet amusing that people feel they should have the right to deny people their personal freedoms in a fair and equal society. The most important civil rights issues have largely been solved by government intervention and not by the people voting to progress. There's an unfortunate lack of empathy that Americans have for fellow Americans who may not be like themselves. They simply do not understand the word "equality" and weave it to fit to how they want others to be like.

Someday gay marriage will be legal in the entire U.S. because luckily we are still in a country where progress is eventually made, no matter how slow the process.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,613,688 times
Gay marriage is not a "personal freedom," it is a legal contract. Right now in Maine, only a man and a woman can enter into that legal contract. Nothing stops gay people from having a relationship (that's a personal freedom btw), but they can't marry. Just like I can't practice law or operate on people or drive when I'm 12 or.... Since the only way gay marriage has ever been legalized in the U.S. is through government or judicial fiat, I don't expect it anytime soon and politicians that support it do so at their political peril.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM

38,445 posts, read 18,204,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Gay marriage is not a "personal freedom," it is a legal contract. Right now in Maine, only a man and a woman can enter into that legal contract. Nothing stops gay people from having a relationship (that's a personal freedom btw), but they can't marry. Just like I can't practice law or operate on people or drive when I'm 12 or.... Since the only way gay marriage has ever been legalized in the U.S. is through government or judicial fiat, I don't expect it anytime soon and politicians that support it do so at their political peril.
The only requirement for a man and woman to marry in the state of Maine....is that they be free to marry, live in Maine and be of age and get a license from the state. They dont have to have graduated from medical school and be licensed like a surgeon....They dont have to be a member of the bar and have fulfilled the requirements of a law degree.....and they don't even have to demonstrate a knowledge of the rules of the road......the marriage license is not restricted or difficult for a man and a woman to obtain.....there doesnt even have to be a witness or any ceremony or words spoken.....as long as they have the license and a clergy person or a JP or judge solemizes their intent and registers it with the Sec of State. They dont have to have known each other longer than the week end they met or be able to support themselves..and they certainly dont have to demonstrate love or commitment. Marriage is readily available....to any citizen of the state of maine EXCEPT if the person they love is not of the opposite gender.

This requirement is based on a religious belief held by some, but has absolutely nothing to do with any other standard.....and the denial of a license is a denial of equal rights and a violation of Equal Protection under the law. Its effect is grave and injurious to those denied this most elemental of rights and does nothing positive for anyone, to off-set the harm.

If I were to marry the man I love, live with and will be with "till death us do part" how would that possibly hurt anyone. You would never even be aware.....it wouldn't even be a blip on your seizmagraph....and it would mean everything to me and to my family.

Every year it gets closer......younger voters just plain "don't get it" so year by year.....the majority shifts. Its not that they don't care....its that it makes no sense to them......because it is non-sense.

Last edited by elston; 06-27-2011 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 04:44 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,531,786 times
Not going to happen.

I simply ask supporters of gay marriage if they have any other radical beliefs, and if there are any other radical changes they want. (Marriage has been primarily between women and men for millenia, thus any attempt to change that basic fact is by definition a radical one.)

What's been done in the name of equality....
and what's been done in the name of freedom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or