U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 AM

346 posts, read 658,050 times

Advertisements

A happy and safe July 4th to everyone~!

If it wasn't for the North winning the Civil War, we'd still be getting taxed by Germany.

Now I know why our Country is the way it is.......

YouTube - ‪Zombie Americans have forgotten why 4th of July is a holiday!!!‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM

9,484 posts, read 14,283,094 times
Just look at Jay Leno's show when he goes "Jaywalking" to interview the man on the street. You'll see how far we have fallen and why Americans are so easy to fool.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:27 AM

468 posts, read 611,208 times
Well, I'll make up some excuses for those people...

One one level perhaps they're just not bothering to actually make an effort to answer this guy's questions, realizing that he's some kind of freelancing goof roaming the beach with a camera and hoping that he'll just go away.

Secondly and more seriously, I notice that he appears to be somewhere on the southern California coast (edit: the description says San Diego), with the jacked coastline and palm trees. One thing I've noticed is that American's knowledge of history is influenced, not surprisingly, by one's location. In traveling some, I've noticed that Southerners and folks on the West Coast, simply don't know their Revolutionary War history the way New Englanders do (not that New Englanders know it all that well either) and that's not surprising since some of us live with things like the Bunker Hill (Breeds Hill) Monument within easy sight of the highway every day, signs along I-95 pointing to Minuteman National Historical Park, or seasonal ads for Plimoth Plantation on TV, etc.

I wasn't surprised to hear one woman in the video suggest that we won our independence from Mexico. I mean, isn't that a more likely comment coming from a Californian? (Of course, it can be argued Mexico is actually winning *that* battle. )

It's a good thing he didn't ask Californians about Shay's Rebellion or The Great Expulsion, etc.

On the other hand, how many of us on this Maine forum, can talk intelligently about the Mexican-American War, Texas Revolution, Battle of the Alamo, etc, without running for a book or the Internet first?

I suppose one can say that the US Revolution started the whole country and it should loom larger in a Californian's or Texan's mind that that other regional history of theirs', but should that realistically be the case?

But I won't argue against the idea that many in the US are just getting fat and stupid too.

In the long run, every holiday's original reason for being gets forgotten or otherwise corrupted.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM

163 posts, read 248,316 times
In the long run, every holiday's original reason for being gets forgotten or otherwise corrupted.[/quote]

Alot of this ignorance comes from decisions of educators not to teach history or civics. Just more evidence that the elites want to dumb down the populace to further their agenda.

I am very thankful for an eighth grade teacher who drilled Maine history into my head, and a high school American history teacher that basically threw away the textbook and made the class come alive with "sermons"
as exciting as any revivalist preacher. They made history fun as well as crucially important.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM

468 posts, read 611,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
In the long run, every holiday's original reason for being gets forgotten or otherwise corrupted.
Quote:
Alot of this ignorance comes from decisions of educators not to teach history or civics. Just more evidence that the elites want to dumb down the populace to further their agenda.

I am very thankful for an eighth grade teacher who drilled Maine history into my head, and a high school American history teacher that basically threw away the textbook and made the class come alive with "sermons"
as exciting as any revivalist preacher. They made history fun as well as crucially important.
I hear you but I'm thinking of a much longer time frame than the last couple of centuries. I mean, even Christmas and Easter were once pagan holidays far removed from their present meanings. Even symbols of those holidays such as Easter eggs and yule logs were once symbolic of things and ideas lost on today.

Time goes by and those that created a holiday and for whom it had special meaning die off and descendents forget. It's been happening for centuries. One day 9/11 will be forgotten too.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
I thought this thread was wishing everyone a happy 4th of July, so I waited until today to post. Instead I'm reminded of a quote "forget the fountain of youth, how about a fountain of smart"

I think we need to get away from thinking stupid is funny.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Last edited by RHB; 07-04-2011 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine