U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Gal coming home
Hi all. I've been reading the forum for a while now trying to pick up hints about relocating to Maine in the next few years. I'm approaching retirement age and yearning to come back to New England. Grew up in Mass. but summered in Maine and Vermont. Have always wanted to live for real in Maine. When I am able to get up there I gravitate toward Brunswick-Bath area probably because I know that area the best. Am in metro DC now and am sure this is not where I want to live out the rest of my life!
Welcome to City-Data

There are a few of us who retired and moved to Maine. You are not alone.

Quote:
... Most of my questions revolve around establishing friendships and building a social network....

... I don't know anyone in Maine! So how does one go about meeting folk, exploring common interests and becoming part of a community? I understand, value and share the Mainer tendency to respect/need neighborly distance but am concerned that in my circumstances that may turn out to be very lonely indeed!
We did not know anyone in Maine when we came up here either.

Which may be part of why we try to welcome folks

What I did was I tried to slowly get involved. After snow storms when I have cleared my driveway, I check on neighbors.

When I was coming to Maine shopping for land, I stumbled across the Common Ground Fair in Unity. I am only partly into organic gardening, but found these people to be a wealth of information and very friendly. Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association

When I moved up here I joined the American Legion and the VFW, so right away I began meeting folks. I volunteered as a bartender and I became the VFW chaplain.

I also attended a few functions at a few Masonic Lodges, and I met a few more people.

We located our flavor of church and began attending there.

We have met people through each of these organizations.

One year with a big garden sprouting up, I joined a Farmer's Market and I was a vendor there. I MET A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT WAY.

We have met some of our neighbors. One of whom is trying to re-establish our town's Grange Hall [there was an active grange here, but it became dormant in the 1930s], so if that ever happens we will be among it's founding [or is that re-founding?] members.

This past winter we joined a local Buyer's Club so we meet with them and do group orders for food [and we sell them some of our produce].

A nearby city has a social-political activist group [green sustainable lifestyles stuff] that started having meetings last winter, we attended a few meetings. The group had it's first election of officers and now looks to be running. I narrowly escaped being stuck as one of it's officers. But otherwise I go to most of their discussions. Everyone in the group who is doing a garden this year has been using me as their source of free horse manure.

A few times, when posters on C-D move to Maine, I have volunteered to help them un-load their U-haul. From that we have started hosting dinners. Some times it works out to make lasting friends.

In summary, I got involved.

I wish you the best of luck in your coming move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM

35 posts, read 60,706 times
Wow, thanks all for the great suggestions. Maineah, I'm particularly fond of your suggestion for regular visits to the local tavern! Volunteering, church, common interest meet-ups - all great ideas. If I do manage to get up there sooner rather than later maybe atrixwolfe and I could join forces in exploring options. In the meantime, brava4, since you and I are practically neighbors right now, maybe we could share notes over a cool one (yes very hot/humid in DC right now) about our plans and what we've discovered about the great state of Maine.

I hope to stay involved on the forum. You all are a great group of people and very open to those of us who pop up here unannounced. I'd be honored to stay connected.

Thanks again and have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine