U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,350,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not on my private, posted property. Please.
Hmm..... he was looking for land to ride on, not for land posted.
FAQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
Just east of the four corners in columbia, I took a road north, and came upon a bunch of atv'r crossing the road, when I turned around and looked-that wasnt just a trail in the woods, it was quite the defined atv trail

Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 AM

9,502 posts, read 14,300,543 times
That would be the John Baldacci recreational trail. He tore up 80 miles of railroad so ATVs, Snowmobiles and mountain bikes could go through the woods.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM

738 posts, read 1,613,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Hmm..... he was looking for land to ride on, not for land posted.
I browsed through some of his other post's and it looks like his vacation land is not even in Maine!

Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM

78 posts, read 132,628 times
NMLM - that's sounds like a great ride. We are going to look into it leaving from our camp in Sherman. Can you tell me if you know of any places to stay overnight? My concern would be driving right to a motel from the trail. We can ride most roads in Sherman but I'm not sure all towns allow that.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM

JLynn35,

Some 60 years ago there was a great outdoor store in Spencer, Mass named Minou's. I'm not sure of the spelling.

You can ride to a motel in Lincoln. There are some motels in Machias and there is one on the Airline (Route 9) called the Airline Motel. It has a restaurant. Bring extra gas, maps, water, food and a good GPS. You will be "out there". During the week you can go a long time without seeing another ATV.

There is no other place in the USA with trails like ours. If we behave ourselves and stay on trails we can keep them. Potato farmers do not want ATVs on their land. It is not because they are inhospitable. It is because ATVs can carry potato diseases from field to field. This could bankrupt a family by causing them to lose their entire crop.

Stay on trails.

Trail maps are printed a year in advance. You could ride right into the middle of a logging operation. That's one reason you need extra gas.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Thank you NMLM, I will have to ask my parents about the store. It sounds familiar.

We love our trails around Sherman and it would be great to see some other parts of Maine.

Hopefully a ride to Machias will work out this season.

Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 PM

NMLM, Five years after this post we are finally going to attempt this atv trip. We will leave our camp in Sherman and attempt to make it to Machias. This weekend we did a trial run to see how far we could get in five hours. We made it to Burlington. It was about 50 miles to Mattawamkeag from Sherman. We had to go a different route then planned as the trail we needed to take was still closed. The navigating was pretty easy and the trails were well marked. Hopefully the second part of the trip will be just as easy!!

Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 AM

Glad to see you pursuing your dream. The trails are better now. There will be spots between Burlington and Macihas with dead spots for your phone. Stop on hilltops to check for service. Bring extra gas, your DeLorme map and a good GPS. At this time of year, make reservations.

Oh yeah; bring bug dope.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:44 AM

914 posts, read 1,845,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
JLynn35,
Potato farmers do not want ATVs on their land. It is not because they are inhospitable. It is because ATVs can carry potato diseases from field to field. This could bankrupt a family by causing them to lose their entire crop.
Potato farmers don't want people around their fields if they are growing certified seed. If they are growing table stock they aren't so concerned. They have a lot more issues with the damage done to their farm roads during hunting season. Both ATV's and 4 wheel drive pickups will tear up a farm road and leave huge ruts during a wet fall. I hear farmers complaining about that more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine