U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,101 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I'm planning to vacation in central ME this August and I already have my new ME ATV registration in hand. Looking for the best back woods, low speed riding trails. I like the quiet deep woods not high speed logging roads, from southern Penobscot Cnty, Downeast, to as far north as Sherman and Houlton. Suggestions? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 04:12 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,359,306 times
Not on my private, posted property. Please.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:46 PM

277 posts, read 787,336 times
We go every spring, summer and fall. There is a trail system from Newport to Dover that is a converted rail bed. It is about 30 miles of riding 1 way. We also go up to Houlton and stay at the Shiretown Inn, from there you can go north on a rail bed to Presque Isle and points beyond. Or you can head south from there down through Oakfield and Smyrna area.

There is a lot of legal trail systems that are very nice to ride. Make sure while you are up here that your mindful of your speed in residential areas and pack out what you pack in. The trail systems up here are always getting bigger, but it is always threatened by people who don't respect homeowners lands. Unfortuntely there are some people who don't accept that people on ATV's can be respectful, but the majority of people know that 1 idiot doesn't represent the whole group.

EDIT: Forgot to mention there is a rail trail that runs from Ellsworth to Ayers Junction, but the 1 time I was out there, it seemed to be more high speed riding rather than slower riding.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 PM

9,766 posts, read 14,894,747 times
You are welcome on my non-posted private land. There is a trail that goes about 100 miles from Mattawamkeasg to the ocean. You can dip your tires in salt water just to say you did, have the best fried clams in the whole world at Helen's Restaurant, homemade blueberry pie a' la'mode and ride back; all in the same day. There is no other place in our nation where you can do that.

When you go you'll be riding across my land at one point and welcome to do it. Maine is ATV paradise. We don't confine you to a 200 acre ATV park with a couple of hundred other ATV riders. Our trails are relatively lightly used. We have not been "discovered" yet.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,789,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
.... Helen's Restaurant....

I thought the Helen's restaurant in Ellsworth was the only one. Is this a chain?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Nope. Helen's in Ellsworth is the annex. The original is in Machias. Same good grub though.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 PM

NMLM is there really an ATV trail that covers that distance? Where does it start and where does it end? I've never heard of this trail? I know that you can do it on sleds(snowmobiles)...I could leave my house here in Belfast and ride to Fort Kent or out to Rumford.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,962,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
We go every spring, summer and fall. There is a trail system from Newport to Dover that is a converted rail bed. It is about 30 miles of riding 1 way.
That ITS trail runs right through my property in Dover just a couple miles south of downtown. You may have taken a diversion off the trail and found my families 19 acre gravel pit where I routinely see dozens of atv tracks from people that find it. It's right next to the town pit that is gated but that doesn't stop people either. A warden stops by there regularly and looks for stray atvers, shooters and drinkers. He comes over to me when he sees me and we talk about how to keep people out of the pit area. He said that even with no tresspassing signs, you just can't stop a determined atver, shooter or drinker. But it at least gives him the authority to enforce the area. I believe the signs only stay around for one season before they are shot to heck or ripped off. So it goes, season after season.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
That ITS trail runs right through my property in Dover just a couple miles south of downtown. You may have taken a diversion off the trail and found my families 19 acre gravel pit where I routinely see dozens of atv tracks from people that find it. It's right next to the town pit that is gated but that doesn't stop people either. A warden stops by there regularly and looks for stray atvers, shooters and drinkers. He comes over to me when he sees me and we talk about how to keep people out of the pit area. He said that even with no tresspassing signs, you just can't stop a determined atver, shooter or drinker. But it at least gives him the authority to enforce the area. I believe the signs only stay around for one season before they are shot to heck or ripped off. So it goes, season after season.
I actually haven't found your pit...I shy away from navigating too far off from clearly marked trails. I'm a firm believer in the it's a privilege not a right saying. I know it is uncommon for folks of my generation, but you won't find me tearing up private property, littering on trails, speeding down the side of the road or any other nonsense. Don't get me wrong...I have fun on my ATV but I keep it limited to the areas designated for it. You're more likely to find me and my riding friends cleaning up after the people who don't ride and use the systems of trails as responsible adults.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 AM

cdodge04 hopes:

"NMLM is there really an ATV trail that covers that distance?"

There certainly is. Stop in at your ATV dealer. He'll have a state ATV map, just like the state snowmobile map. The ride I mentioned starts in Mattawamkeag and goes through Winn, Lee, Burlington, Grand Falls and some Unorganized Townships to the Airline.

It crosses the Airline in Wesley, continues south by Rocky Lake and ends at Machias. Bring your GPS, extra fuel, water and food. You will be "out there". Have Green Slime in your tires. Go as a group. You can get there, but be advised you could encounter active logging that does not show on your map.

It is illegal to ride off trail on private property without specific permission of the landowner. As a few posts above indicate, some people from away are not used to such freedom and get carried away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine