Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:06 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times

Advertisements

American Revolutionary War Museum to Honor Al-Jazeera

WHAT are these fools thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
just one more step down the ladder for us.....

Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Are they crazy?? Stark raving mad?? I'll check out Mr. Dufour (the board chair) as to his politics.....
This makes NO sense at all.
I'll never go there. Ever.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
gov lepage should make a statement.. "what idiot made this decision"?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
What's wrong with al Jazeera?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Are they crazy?? Stark raving mad?? I'll check out Mr. Dufour (the board chair) as to his politics.....
This makes NO sense at all.
I'll never go there. Ever.
That was my initial reaction too.

I've been looking at the 'honoree's' history, trying to see if that is an over-reaction. He seems to have held a string of less controversial posts prior to his current position.

From the museum's PR:

"The General Henry Knox Museum is proud to announce that the 2011 gala honoree will be Abderrahim Foukara, the Washington Bureau Chief of Al-Jazeera (Arabic) Satellite Channel, the Arabic language news network. Foukara, a Moroccan transplant to the United States, is well-versed in the history of the founding of his adopted country, and is able to weave that historical perspective into modern foreign relations.
He will speak at 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 28 on the stage of The Strand Theatre in Rockland, Maine. An intimate Gala dinner and reception will follow at 7:30 p.m. at Camden National Bank’s historic Spear Block location in Rockland."

From 1990 to mid-2002 he worked for the BBC (and between 1999 and 2001 he also was associated with Public Broadcasting and WGBH Boston). He began working for Al-Jazeera mid-2002.

Al Jazeera is owned by the State of Qatar, with primary funding from Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa, the Emir of Qatar.

Although Al Jazeera has been criticized as being "anti-US", they claim to be "independent" and, in fact, have had their signals censored, blocked and jammed by various Arabic nations (including one incident in 1999 where Algeria totally cut the power to several major cities in order to prevent broadcasts being seen by their citizens). Their programming is regarded as "controversial" by Arab nations as well, and has been credited with helping "propel insurgent emotions" during the recent uprisings by citizens against several Arabic countries.

Al Jazeera has a broad reach in Arabic nations, more than 50% of Palestinians watch it, and therefore is a powerful influence on public opinion. So, given Foukara's [claimed] knowledge of American history, and his position which may allow him to promote favorable views of the US and our method of government, I'll reserve judgement on whether this is actually a 'bad thing'.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Correct Zymer, would rep ya but, gotta spread some first.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
They used to be a bad news organization = to Fox News , but the past few years they have changed. There the only News outlet that is not afraid to cover the Middle East uprisings and have been credited with pushing the peoples voices through Govt blockade. They do other Documentaries / News related topics and cover sports.... I think people need to research more before opening there mouth on topics.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
That's low, Nexis. I've been researching and following Al Jazeera issues, in depth, for almost a decade. Some of us are far more informed than you might give us credit for.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Al-Jazeera has scooped U.S. MSM on several stories, including the lack of Congressional action on 9/11-related deaths among first responders in New York City, Wikileaks, and various oil-related issues. It's a legitimate news outlet, the CNN of the Middle East. Just because it has contacts among Hezbollah and other terrorist organizations is no reason to condemn it, unless we also condemn news media that have contacts among the mafia or the IRA or other criminal organizations. A-J operates from a different cultural perspective than Western media, and too often because it is Middle Eastern-oriented, people automatically connect it with terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine