U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:17 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times

Advertisements

It's not the intoxication I mind, and I don't mind a little fighting, providing the fellows are just having fun and have the good sense to stop before anyone gets seriously hurt.

But there are children watching this parade.

And what's with the guy holding the two balloons and long balloon by his crotch on a float?

Half naked women?

This is in honor of America's Declaration of Independence? What is happening to small town America?

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/0...athens-parade/

ATHENS, Maine — A haven for the outlandish and outspoken could find itself outlawed after a small-town Independence Day celebration that bordered on becoming a melee.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 07-06-2011 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
There does appear to have been some "irresponsible behavior".

Not that I mind seeing so much female flesh [I dont] however that is not as inappropriate as the other behaviors mentioned.

No firetrucks? And the only local group was samba dancers and a 'Hathor eye'?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There does appear to have been some "irresponsible behavior".

Not that I mind seeing so much female flesh [I dont] however that is not as inappropriate as the other behaviors mentioned.

No firetrucks? And the only local group was samba dancers and a 'Hathor eye'?
Many of the reader comments posted by readers below the article are pretty interesting.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 3,522,013 times
That's just gross and disgusting. That's the kind of behavior that gives Maine a bad name. Drunks, druggies, freaks and losers.
Glad I got to take my family to a good old fashioned REAL fourth of July parade.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Did i see a happy hour vehicle? passing out bud lights?

shouldnt we all be open-minded here, celebrating freedom of expression, god forbid, we get all "judgemental" on others we dont know- who is it for you or me, to determine what's right or wrong??
if this is their lifestyle, then so be it-right??? ??? thats what we've been told for years!!

Must be a shallow gene pool in athens, and surprisingly, this is about the volvo line

but seriously, ive heard for yrs. this parade is outlandish, i've never been-some of the organizers mentioned people were in the parade they dont know- so they need tighter controls, and the public drinking??? not that im a prude, i was surprised to see beers passed out
many so called festivals/celebrations have died out yrs ago, because of public drinking-it's too bad

is this an accurate reflection of a town called athens?? no, this is what happens, when you challenge one another to be more "outragious" add in alcohol, and little control.. and also, add in the redneck factor(im trying my best not to be political)

Old 07-07-2011, 03:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
That's just gross and disgusting. That's the kind of behavior that gives Maine a bad name. Drunks, druggies, freaks and losers.
Glad I got to take my family to a good old fashioned REAL fourth of July parade.
You sound like Archie bunker,,,why cant you just be "accepting" of others??

Old 07-07-2011, 05:19 AM

5,488 posts, read 6,430,519 times
If you put on a freak show...

"Instead of the politicians, firetrucks and marching bands that make up many Maine parades, West Athens paraders are more likely to dress as belly dancers, wave anarchist signs or concoct surreal floats out of whatever materials are at their disposal. That includes this year’s winning entry, which involved a puppet made from a cured pig’s head and most of its skeleton."

...Then you have to expect that freaks are going to show up to watch it...

“Everyone agrees that we have to do something,” she said. “When I first marched in the parade with my baby on my back, it was all of our friends just having a good time. To go from that to not only strangers, but people who use the parade to disrespect our town, that’s terrible.”

...and if you promote anarchy...

"West Athens paraders are more likely to dress as belly dancers, wave anarchist signs..."

...then you have to expect to attract people who have no respect for law or property or 'good' behavior...and at least one selectman did...

"...said Clavette. “We knew this type of incident was going to happen sooner or later..."

Not that I mind a good freak show once in a while (he says with fond memories of some wild times during bike Week at Laconia), but if you're going to do it, you can't complain that not all of the freaks are in the show.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Not that I mind a good freak show once in a while (he says with fond memories of some wild times during bike Week at Laconia), but if you're going to do it, you can't complain that not all of the freaks are in the show.
Well said.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Many of the reader comments posted by readers below the article are pretty interesting.
The comments left on BDN are usually interesting. Though lately when I try to load the BDN website it tends to hang and often it locks up my PC.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times
"Must be a shallow gene pool in athens, and surprisingly, this is about the volvo line"

I checked. They are below 45 degrees north. Whew. It was close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine