U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM

885 posts, read 1,192,145 times

Advertisements

I know this is way off topic, but hope someone can help. Since moving out here in the toolies, my lap top has become pretty slow....not terrible just not rocket fast. My problem is this: I can't view videos, utube or others. They start but then buffer about every 5 seconds, making it frustrating to try to watch. Its very annoying. Please don't get too techy, just laymans terms for me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 AM

5,499 posts, read 6,446,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I know this is way off topic, but hope someone can help. Since moving out here in the toolies, my lap top has become pretty slow....not terrible just not rocket fast. My problem is this: I can't view videos, utube or others. They start but then buffer about every 5 seconds, making it frustrating to try to watch. Its very annoying. Please don't get too techy, just laymans terms for me!!
How are you connecting to the 'net? Dial-up? Cable? DSL?

If your connection is too slow, you will see this problem...I'm assuming that this is occurring only at home...if it happens at other places with known good connection speeds you could have a different problem.

Do your other applications perform slowly as well (when not connected to the 'net)? This could indicate a malware infection.

There are several speedtests you can run to determine your connection speed. Google broadband "speed test" for several options.

In the meantime, after the initial buffering, when the video starts to play, pause it and do something else until the video has completely (or almost completely) downloaded, then resume playing it. It should play without problems then.

I don't bother with videos at home. I barely get 26kbps on dial-up so even a video only a couple of minutes long takes more time to download than I have patience for.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 PM

I get around 175 kbps so I guess thats the problem!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 PM

29,755 posts, read 47,594,768 times
When our internet speed gets slow we start a video, then pause it and go do some other task. It will buffer a few minutes of video, allowing us to watch for 5 minutes before the buffer is empty again.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I get around 175 kbps so I guess thats the problem!
Yep, that'll do it. Even at 1Mbps (Mickey D's free wireless) I find the frequency/amount of buffering to be annoying.

Who is your provider and what speed are you *supposed* to be provisioned at?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 AM

My browser is AOL but I can't get high speed out here so I have a Veizon wireless device. I have no clue as to what I am supposed to be at?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
My browser is AOL but I can't get high speed out here so I have a Veizon wireless device. I have no clue as to what I am supposed to be at?
The Verizon wireless devices max out at about 400kbps, actual speeds may be less depending on signal strength and bandwidth available at the tower. I'm going to guess that you may have only one or two bars showing for signal strength. You can try changing physical location and/or re-orienting the device to get a better signal. You can also get an external antenna for it that may help to improve the signal.

Next thing you want to do is get rid of that AOL browser. AOL is notorious for junking up their software with stuff you don't really need, and sometimes for releasing software that they *know* is broken.

Take your laptop to somewhere where you can get a good wireless networking signal (not the Verizon device, but the regular wireless networking), like Mickey D's or better yet, find an unsecured business or residential router that is connected to DSL or cable, and download the Mozilla Firefox browser.

After you've installed Firefox, go here Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File to download and install a 'hosts' file, this will cut down on advertising images that hog your bandwidth as well as provide some protection against known malware sites. The site I've linked to should provide an easy, automated method for you (depending on your operating system).

Doing the above should help to improve your situation.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

9,530 posts, read 14,331,948 times
Low tech answer: Like dial-up, DSL speed depends on your distance from the "switch" and how many people are using the server.

The server is like a pump. It has a fixed total capacity like gallons per minute. The further you are from the pump, the lower the pressure. The higher the number of hoses branching off the pump the lower the pressure on each hose.

When the kids get home from school and start downloading the latest Netflix, everybody's speed goes down. All that said, I'm pretty easy to satisfy because I remember separate modulators and demodulators before they combined them to make modems. I remember 300 baud speed on bulletin boards when you would go make coffee while one E-mail message downloaded.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Low tech answer: Like dial-up, DSL speed depends on your distance from the "switch" and how many people are using the server.

The server is like a pump. It has a fixed total capacity like gallons per minute. The further you are from the pump, the lower the pressure. The higher the number of hoses branching off the pump the lower the pressure on each hose.

When the kids get home from school and start downloading the latest Netflix, everybody's speed goes down. All that said, I'm pretty easy to satisfy because I remember separate modulators and demodulators before they combined them to make modems. I remember 300 baud speed on bulletin boards when you would go make coffee while one E-mail message downloaded.
Actually, DSL speed is dependent only on [wireline] distance from the DSLAM. Your line is dedicated and it doesn't matter how many kids are downloading movies. That description applies for cable, but not DSL.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:09 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,241,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

please wait while your art is downloading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine