Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 08:34 AM

581 posts, read 713,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Found this great shot of downtown Belfast. Love it!
We have sky-scrapers in Maine, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Too many sky-scrapers in my backyard now. I'll pass, thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:01 AM

16 posts, read 55,491 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 139.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	6917

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 169.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	6918

Sebec Lake

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM

Had to revive this awesome thread! And can someone tell me what kind of trees those are? We don't have any white trees here that I know of.

Last edited by Elcarim; 09-15-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 PM

PS. Can some of you prof photogs also tell me how to get more depth of color in my photos in overcast weather? I'm guessing using something other than the "vacation digital" would help!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,495 times
Quote:
Had to revive this awesome thread! And can someone tell me what kind of trees those are? We don't have any white trees here that I know of.
White Birch tree I believe.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Quote:
PS. Can some of you prof photogs also tell me how to get more depth of color in my photos in overcast weather? I'm guessing using something other than the "vacation digital" would help!
In overcast weather there is not much you do about neutral colors but finding some bright colors and getting in close can result in some nice color. A fill flash can do the job as well.

A popular subject in Maine that works well and you see alot is a dreary brown/gray lobster shack with a pile of lobster trap buoys in the foreground which are all painted in very bright colors with hundreds of color combinations as the color combination denotes who they belong to. Bright flowers in the foreground and a dreary background can work great as well.

One little trick I do is carry a strong flashlight and put some light on the bright color subject part of the photo.

This maple leaf which had just fallen so it still had color looked great against the old dead brown ones. Putting the flashlight on it really made it pop. In general you can get some nice fall color shots on overcast days. Outdoor face/portrait shots work great on overcast days, as well. If you pick the right subject overcast days can work great.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/mapleLeaf3.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Very nice photo. I can't wait to start practicing on the abundance of nature up there. I just hope I can learn to do it justice! Thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM

18 posts, read 37,679 times
Great photos of Maine. I am new to this forum, having only recently discovered it while seeking information about Maine communities. My husband and I are thinking about moving to Rumford. We presently live in New Mexico, but are originally from Massachusetts (but please don't hold that against us!) We have heard about the paper mill, but on the few times we were in Rumford, we did not smell any odor. We have heard that, depending upon which way the wind blows, the odor travels away to neighboring communities. Can anyone comment on this? Would love to know. In any case, there seems to be some nice older homes in this town, at fairly reasonable prices, so we are definitely considering it. Any comments, observations or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Very nice photo. I can't wait to start practicing on the abundance of nature up there. I just hope I can learn to do it justice! Thanks.
do it justice?? the wildlife?? ...just keep in mind a few things ,,about maine and wildlife,,,you cant (get caught) shooting a deer at night,,they are nocturnal animals,,feed at night,,,much better chance seeing them in a field at night,,than in the day,,,
also be careful,,about seeing them on the road,, a nice doe was hit a couple hundred yards up the road ,,from my house,,made a heck of a mess,,must have been a big truck,,
anyways,,,elcarim,,i like kiddin with ya,
one thing about mainers is this,,,most of us,,at one time or another have run over something ,,,,either running , walking, or flying away (with a car)
your first road-kills,,,sting a bit,,,thinking,,,,those elusive ground hogs/woodchucks are fun to watch,,,but damn,,they arent too bright ,,when trying to cross a road, this applies for most of the wildlife in maine,(the squirrels and chipmunks, drive ya nuts,,they are doing an east-west dance in the middle of the road,,you have no clue where they are gonna dart at the last minute,,(you do your best not to hit them, but try not to swerve too much to endanger yourself) ,the real danger is the big bulky, moose,, outside of the moose you have a sporting chance,,,with most of the other wildlife,,and ,,,
i believe,,if you do happen to nail a deer in the road,,,you can keep it,, one of the few maine laws that make sense

and if you choose not to collect a roadkill,,we have very hearty crows everywhere,,,they are the road clean-up ..crew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine