U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2009, 04:11 AM

4,104 posts, read 4,232,240 times

Advertisements

Wow, my heart aches to be in Maine. Beautiful pics all. Thanks for sharing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,407 times
I think I'm going to have to apologize for my pictures, given how nice some of yours are, because I'm no professional photographer and I don't have the greatest camera ever, but...

I'm building a web site all about York Maine, so I sent the kids to school September 1, then took the dog and drove around Cape Neddick (part of the town of York) just taking pics of whatever I felt like.

Just try to imagine that it's actually much more beautiful in person!!!

Nicole

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-04-2009 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Sorry, but personal web blogs/sites are not allowed here.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:12 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,769,541 times
Hanging out in one of our cherry trees.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:05 AM

5,964 posts, read 7,198,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wow, my heart aches to be in Maine. Beautiful pics all. Thanks for sharing.
I second that!

Old 09-06-2009, 07:25 AM

4,067 posts, read 3,277,948 times
Here's a picture I took one morning in the summer of 2005 from our dock on Maranacook Lake, looking across the lake at an old Boy Scout camp. This was taken on the trip to Maine to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my first visit to Maine, and we stayed in the same camp as my family did in 1955. It was a very special trip.

Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Maine-morningmist.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 AM

5,054 posts, read 8,101,341 times
What a beautiful pic, Gene! I love the fog in Maine.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

404 posts, read 451,413 times
The wife and I took a walk through the trails at Mantle Lake Park in Presque Isle. here's a shot from across the pond to the parking/picnic area.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

228 posts, read 278,528 times
Beautiful Photos everyone!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:15 AM

45 posts, read 131,416 times
Chester and Suzann Chase with My Aunt Martha Clarke

Chester "Chet" Chase, his wife Suzann Chase, and Martha Clarke, after snowshoeing back to Hale Pond.

pssst: is that dog up 'ees butt?

Yes, Chet does look rather young for his age. He was a high school teacher though.

Several times, at Katahdin Lodge, when Chet and Susann were visiting us, one of our paying bear hunters innocently asked Susann what grade in school that Chet was in. The just couldn't figure him out at first.

I can't say that that kind of thing made me feel bad for Chet and Susann, or that it was of any humorous value to me. I was rather neutral about it. As I was about Chet and Susann. I did not particularly care for their company, but I did enjoy it a bit--now and then. I can't remember any outstandingly great or hilarious times we had together, but then they never actually rubbed me the wrong way at any time either.

But I do have to admit that I got a bit of a kick out of hearing how the boys at Chet's school, Katahdin High School, had once 'borrowed' somebody's goat one night and tied it to Chet and Susann's front porch. Any guy who looked like Chet, well, he was a nice guy at heart, but that don't matter to some of the kinds of rugged outdoorsman type of kids who were in an abundance at Katahdin High. Chet was just a natural target for their favorite brand of high jinx.

My Uncle Finley, Aunt Martha, and I all enjoyed going out snowshoeing. It is great exercise.

When walking on snowshoes, you always wear at least one less outer layer of warm clothing than you usually wear; or else you will become overheated and begin to perspire profusely. You usually take off the heavy coat you normally have to wear outside during cold weather. If you do wear too much warm clothing, when snowshoeing, you will not walk very far before you will become very uncomfortable, and you're inner most layers of clothing will become soaked with sweat. Then if you take your outer coat off, you will be chilled to the bone, in-no-time-flat, by your freezing sweat.

Snowshoes can break. Accidents can happen. And a personal health problem or emergency may arise at the worst time, like at the beginning of a snowstorm in the farthest place you have ever snowshoed to. So be as prepared as you reasonably can, for such problems.

Whenever you are out in the woods, no matter what you are doing, always carry two different, reliable fire sources. Like waterproof matches and a fully filled windproof lighter. And stow them in two different places, in two different layers of clothing, or one fire source in a clothing pocket, and one in a backpack pocket.

When you are either working or having fun, or in many cases having fun at working, in the Great Outdoors, you either follow the rules that experienced outdoors enthusiasts tell you about, or you will eventually suffer the harsh consequences.

So listen to and heed any safety info or instructions that your experienced, professionally qualified ski instructor, scout leader, salesperson in an outdoors outfitter store, Maine Guide, author, etc. offers or gives to you.

For many of us, nothing is much better than a good day in the Great Outdoors.

For all of us, nothing is much worse than being the victim of a preventable, tragic situation in the Great Outdoors.

When you are out in the Great Outdoors, please heed the advice and unbendable rules of outdoors experts--the more local to where you are going into the outdoors that the experts are from, the more reliable their information and advice should be.

I'd have died forty years ago, out in the wide woods of northern Maine, if I hadn't listened to and heeded what I was taught, by Maine outdoors-persons who know their stuff.

Please be safe on all of your outdoors excursions.

And say hello to a tree for me.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 AM

333 posts, read 546,806 times
Default Sept 6 2009 Roadtrip

147 miles and $25.00 of gas.
9:00 am left Newport to Newburg exit I95,
Wanted to see the bridge at Verona
Newburg,Winterport,Frankfort,Prospect,Verona,Stock ton Springs,Searsport,Bucksport,Orland Toddy Pond in East Orland,orrington,Brewer,Bangor and I95 back to Palmyra.
7:30pm arrived home.
Here's a few pics and I'll load some more in my album
The fee for Fort Knox and the observatory was only $5:00 and Kudos to the Friends of Fort Knox for maintaining the site.

Last edited by ribbets; 07-25-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine