Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM

259 posts, read 703,920 times

Advertisements

Joining in late on this thread but count me in! I am a Maine dreamer 24/7 these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,524 times
SPLATT, Elcarim and I both have nice homes in warmer climates. El's is for sale now, and mine will be in about 6 weeks. Maybe you would like Chattanooga or Houston?

Seriously though, I do hope that you and your lady friend find someplace that makes you happier. Everyone wants something and someplace different. I do not find your posts offensive.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-13-2008 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: let's leave out the personal comments, please

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Default Still on the fence

Like SPLATT, I'm in a situation involving a gal. My girlfriend made a commitment to set up shop in Maine, prior to me coming back into her life.

I'm a CO guy...lived here my entire adult life (Cleveland-born, though). So my dilemma is that she's committed to Maine, and rightfully so...it's a beautiful place. But it's not Colorado, either. I can understand how Maine is NOT for everybody. It takes a 'hardy' type of person to live in Maine, from what I can gather.

I'm not certain how I'd cope with winters out there, when here in CO it can dump snow one day, and then run into the 40s and 50s for days at a time along the front range at the base of the foothills. It can be blizzards in the mtns and golf/shorts weather here in the greater Denver area. As a cyclist, I'm able to get out and ride all winter long...I don't think there's ever been a period of more than a week or two where I wasn't able to get out and ride. I'm not sure that's possible in Maine! Not to mention getting out on the motorcycles because the roads tend to dry out quickly. Case in point: 65 yesterday, went for a run in shorts, today it's 20 with half a foot of snow on the ground, and by the weekend it'll be in the 40s/50s again.

Could I replicate my CO life in Maine? To some degree. Can I deal with fewer sunny days, longer winters, higher taxes, and leaving my family & friends behind? Not sure. I love my gal, but I know myself well enough to say that if I'm not happy in my surroundings, I'll be miserable.

So yes, I'm still dreaming (and thinking hard) of Maine, but like the saying goes, "fools rush in", and I'm no fool. Thankfully my gal understands my dilemma, and I'm not being forced to make a fast decision. Issues beyond my control (the economy, the housing market) may keep me here for a while, so for now my plan is to get back out there as often as I can, and get a better feel for the place in all seasons, which will help me make the ultimate decision.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM

26 posts, read 129,563 times
I grew up going to Maine every summer as a kid. My parents actually just retired there. The summers in Maine are positively dreamy! It's such a beautiful state.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 PM

43 posts, read 38,771 times
Winter isn't really that bad here. Well, comparatively speaking anyway. When I was a kid, it would start snowing in October and you pretty much wouldn't see the ground for 6-8 months. It's not that the winters are that bad here, I just hate ANY winter.

We have been getting a January thaw the last few years. It lasts for about a week and can get up into the 60s or 70s. Other than that, you aren't going to see anything higher than the 30s before March.

As far as bicycling, they do a pretty good job plowing in my town. Although I would imagine it's pretty brutal up North. I really don't think it would be possible, let alone safe, to ride a bike or a motorcycle. I usually wait until around May before I take my motorcycle out. Even once winter is done there seems to be a lot of sand that collects at the end of roads making it difficult to stop.

The only thing you would probably have to give up would be bicycling in the winter months. Finding a good job may be tough also. If you can live on $10 an hour, you should be fine. If you are used to making good money you might have a tougher time. The job scene here is not good. Especially for someone with a college or graduate degree. The exception seems to be the medical field. I have heard of several examples of doctors getting huge signing bonuses to sign with hospitals. Maybe things are better in Portland- Maine's biggest city. I you have a certain salary in mind, If would suggest looking for employment before you move here.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by SPLATT; 02-14-2008 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATT View Post
As far as bicycling, they do a pretty good job plowing in my town. Although I would imagine it's pretty brutal up North. I really don't think it would be possible, let alone safe, to ride a bike or a motorcycle.

Oh yeah, for most of the winter months it would be a death wish to take a bicycle or motorcycle out up here. The roads may be fine, but they get too narrow for bicycles and it is just too darn cold to ride a motorcycle safely. Plus I have first hand experience on how a bike handles when you find a small patch of ice when you are pushing the season. Can you say OOOOWWWWW!!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:59 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Oh yeah, for most of the winter months it would be a death wish to take a bicycle or motorcycle out up here. The roads may be fine, but they get too narrow for bicycles and it is just too darn cold to ride a motorcycle safely. Plus I have first hand experience on how a bike handles when you find a small patch of ice when you are pushing the season. Can you say OOOOWWWWW!!
It's also lots of fun when you're trying to get home and a sudden snowstorm has dumped four inches onto the roads while you're riding.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
No doubt...been caught out in some freak storms here in CO on the bike and the cycle, never a good time either way! Ideally I'd like to be able to relocate my job with IBM to Maine, since it's limited travel and mostly inside sales, I can do it from anywhere. We have offices in Lexington if I needed to have an 'office presence' to make them happy a couple times a month. I was out there this past weekend and worked from her place Fri & Mon with no issues. In theory it'd work, but then there are corporate politics & bureaucracy to deal with. If not IBM, I have a cousin who is a tech recruiter in Manchester MA, she might be able to help. I sure as heck would NOT move to a place like Maine without a good paying job...so along with the economy and the house, the job factor is huge. She's got her own medical practice that stands to do well, but time will tell. I can't move out there with no job...I'd be miserable.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:30 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Well Bydand, you obviously forgot to put your snow tires on that bike.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
Well Bydand, you obviously forgot to put your snow tires on that bike.
Oh no, I had about as close to snow tires as you can get on a bike. Just forgot the ice picks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine