U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM

20,608 posts, read 15,424,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
So is it safe to have the windows open in your home during the day/ overnight?

Here in FL, there is NO way you should sleep with open windows at night, even if you could. Not safe at all, but I guess if the bedrooms are all on the 2nd floor it might be ok without any means of access.
I have screens on my windows here and I agree, to keep the bugs out but do I feel safe leaving them open at night to collect the cool air? Yes. MUCH safer than I ever did in FL, by far.

And I also have dogs who bark at leaves that fall from trees six blocks down the road so, I don't think an intruder will make it here unknown were that to ever happen. And with the advanced warning I get, I have time to gather up my weapon and show them the way out. You can have crime anywhere but the crime rate in Maine seems to be a whole lot lower than in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
About a week ago we had a form of home invasion, a sparrow flew into our house and forget how to get out. We tend to keep our front doors open all day and close them as the sun sets [just to keep the bugs out].

We have lived in fairly high crime areas before moving to Maine, this is much better.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
We had a murder at 3:30 am. A member of the raccoon gang killed a chicken. The Dog Squad has been on patrol since then. They haven't found the perp yet but when they do there will be a one-sided shoot out. For the time being, I've put the gun away.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:48 AM

885 posts, read 1,188,818 times
Hard to recognize them as they always wear a mask!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Last summer we had issue with a local fox raising a batch of her puppies, and feeding them my chickens. We lost a great many chickens to that fox. Would it have been different if we had A/C?

Then through the winter the fox seemed to have left the area. In her place appeared a weasel-like rodent of some sort. Who continued to wipe-out our poultry. I do not think that A/C would have effected that much.

So we faced this spring with empty chicken coops.

We brought in fresh chicks to re-populate our chicken coops and try yet again. Now it seems that one breed of our chickens likes to peck on and kill each other. So far this year with six dozen new chicks, only one breed of them have been killing each other, Rhode Island Reds. No fox this year, no weasel either, yet. And our other breeds seem to be fairly happy in their coops, growing, slowly getting bigger, awaiting the day when they will be mature enough to begin producing eggs. But only this one breed, this year, seems to be more focused on pecking each other.

So we have seen violence and murdering going on here, this year, the latest was yesterday. I have no idea if A/C would have any effect.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
I have not had any A/C here in years, but I broke down and got one of the window units out of the garage yesterday...not for the 'cooling' per se, but so I could get some peace and quiet. The other half has developed a problem in perception of ambient temperature, she keeps insisting that "it's soooo hoooooooot" despite the fact that calibrated scientific measuring devices indicate differently.

Repeated observation that the devices do not agree with her and that it's 'all in her head' or that she's 'out of her mind' did little to correct her misperception and generally tended only to raise the ambient noise level or generate disturbing periods of frosty silence...which might have been tolerable were they not punctuated with icy stares that would cause a Fisher to retreat in panic. Although I am often stubborn, in this case I was forced to give up the attempt to educate her on the accuracy of scientific instruments.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
LMAO! smart move, Zymer!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,139,390 times
Man's got to know which battles to fight, Zymer..........you made the right choice. ROFLMAO

Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,738 times
We have a 200 pound black bear prowling the nieghborhood this most nights lately.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Put up anything he'll consider food and scare the heck out of him. Bang on the doors and windows, turn on the outside lights, yell at him or bang pots from inside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or