U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:14 AM

16,045 posts, read 18,263,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When we lived in Italy, we saw that many Italians shared that opinion.

I was told many times that in their culture they know as a 'fact' that A/C is bad for your health.
That it explains it! I'm Italian (mostly) and loved the hot dry summer in Tuscany on my one visit there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Even wild animals seek relief from the heat.

Take a look at the natural world. Short, cold days with a lot of snow that makes moving more difficult are meant for hibernation. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a good example of what naturally happens.
You're right. But maybe during extremes of either hot or cold, we are supposed to be in low activity if we are living according to nature. In general it seems easier and more natural to be outdoors doing activities (wood chopping, snow shoeing, skiing, etc) in the cold, and doing things like meditating and napping (hot places like India) in the heat.

Whenever I put on the a.c. it feels like heaven for a while. Then I start to feel like i'm locked in or trapped and I can't stand it. I have to have fresh air even it it's a hot breeze. I'd be lying if I said that the heat doesn't bother me, though. I was hoping that there is some area in Maine that is not too remote where one might be able to get more easily through the summer without a.c. But, as Maine is in New England and New England is humid, I know the answer

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 AM

701 posts, read 925,961 times
Most homes today in the USA are built for central air and central heat. The same type of home can built anywhere regardless of climate.

Here in the south, you couldn't survive in one of these homes without AC. No sleeping porches,no trees and windows in all the wrong places and countless other things that were done in the past to stay cool.

I spent a summer in Greece some years ago, the apartment had no AC.

It did have all marble floors, high ceilings and very tall doors and porches that we opened to let the breeze blow through. The walls were some type of concrete with stucco........there was no need for AC.

Wouldn't homes in Maine be built with the goal of keeping heat in? Wouldn't this make it tougher to cool down? Just wondering......

Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 AM

701 posts, read 925,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You're right. But maybe during extremes of either hot or cold, we are supposed to be in low activity if we are living according to nature. In general it seems easier and more natural to be outdoors doing activities (wood chopping, snow shoeing, skiing, etc) in the cold, and doing things like meditating and napping (hot places like India) in the heat.

Whenever I put on the a.c. it feels like heaven for a while. Then I start to feel like i'm locked in or trapped and I can't stand it. I have to have fresh air even it it's a hot breeze. I'd be lying if I said that the heat doesn't bother me, though. I was hoping that there is some area in Maine that is not too remote where one might be able to get more easily through the summer without a.c. But, as Maine is in New England and New England is humid, I know the answer

I really understand this! I can't wait to have open windows again......

Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
That is one reason I hated the time when K insisted that we had to put in, and use, the window units when we lived in NC.

We were on the coast, and VERY OFTEN the evening temperatures would cool down with the ocean breeze, and the outdoors and breezes were cooler than where we set the AC in the house... but for some reason, he was into the "once you turn it on, leave it on" mode and even though most of the windows could easily have been opened, and the window units turned to "fan only" mode to bring in the cooler outside air I could not get him to do it.

I'd rather sweat ( and I have been... was outdoors at farmers markets from before 8 AM until well after 8 PM yesterday) and guzzle water, and keep a cloth handy to wet and wipe down face, neck, arms and legs.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't homes in Maine be built with the goal of keeping heat in? Wouldn't this make it tougher to cool down? Just wondering......
Any home well insulated enough to keep the cold out in winter will keep the heat out in summer. People have lived for thousands of years without a.c. and have learned how to build homes like they did in the Mediterranean and Africa and other hot places. Although I am probably one of them, I think Americans are wusses when it comes to temperature of any variance from perfect. At least I'm willing to try. I can afford a.c. and central heat, but like to challenge myself when it comes to doing the minimum (no a.c., and very little heat). The key is to know how to live (still learning how at 62~!)

Old 07-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Are you moving to Maine??

Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
That is one reason I hated the time when K insisted that we had to put in, and use, the window units when we lived in NC.

We were on the coast, and VERY OFTEN the evening temperatures would cool down with the ocean breeze, and the outdoors and breezes were cooler than where we set the AC in the house... but for some reason, he was into the "once you turn it on, leave it on" mode and even though most of the windows could easily have been opened, and the window units turned to "fan only" mode to bring in the cooler outside air I could not get him to do it.

I'd rather sweat ( and I have been... was outdoors at farmers markets from before 8 AM until well after 8 PM yesterday) and guzzle water, and keep a cloth handy to wet and wipe down face, neck, arms and legs.
Good for you! I personally think you are doing your immune system a favor, as when we sweat we sweat out toxins and our body adapts to different temperatures. Sure it's uncomfortable, no doubt about it, but there are so many ways to adapt. Even physical activity, to a point, is good in the heat. If we work hard in the morning, drink lots of water, and rest in the afternoons of summer, eat lightly for supper and then hang out under the stars (without the chemical bug sprays like Deit etc), we're more in tune with the real world.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Good for you! I personally think you are doing your immune system a favor, as when we sweat we sweat out toxins and our body adapts to different temperatures. Sure it's uncomfortable, no doubt about it, but there are so many ways to adapt. Even physical activity, to a point, is good in the heat. If we work hard in the morning, drink lots of water, and rest in the afternoons of summer, eat lightly for supper and then hang out under the stars (without the chemical bug sprays like Deit etc), we're more in tune with the real world.
Not much hanging out under the stars for this gal. I have to be at market at 8, so I leave sometime between 7 and 7:30, get up much earlier to get the truck loaded. In my other life, I have a job that requires me to be on site by 6 AM, Sun-Thurs, and for the next couple of weeks, at training in Augusta (1.5+ hrs away) at 7 AM, so if I'm not going to bed at the same time as the hens these days, I'm pushing it and going to pay dearly (which, to be honest, I have been...)

I have never been a fan of AC, likely because I didn't grow up with it and then lived "beyond the power lines" for 10+ years raising the kids. I still prefer a more old fashioned way of life, a much as practical. Sweat and all.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM

20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Here in the south, you couldn't survive in one of these homes without AC. No sleeping porches,no trees and windows in all the wrong places and countless other things that were done in the past to stay cool.
That is so true...down in the Keys, the Hemingway House had no a/c but there were tons of trees, the windows were in all the right places and with just a few fans in the windows, it was suprisingly very cool. You have an excellent point.

Quote:
I know that this house I'm living in sure is retaining the heat...I keep saying that I hope it retains it in the winter...but somehow, I think it's going to be the opposite.

Quote:
I think Americans are wusses when it comes to temperature of any variance from perfect. At least I'm willing to try. I can afford a.c. and central heat, but like to challenge myself when it comes to doing the minimum (no a.c., and very little heat). The key is to know how to live (still learning how at 62~!)
Go to South Florida in the summer. I guarantee you that you'll rethink that.

As for it being bad for our immune system, I don't believe it. I lived with a/c on 24/7/365 for 6 years and I never got sick. I love a/c so much, I prefer it over the hot, stifling air even if that is "fresh" air. And today was hot. Way too hot. I moved here to be cold...bring me the cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or