Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
If I was looking for lobster rolls or crab rolls.....I wouldn't have "the cheapest" as my main criteria. Perhaps the most filled with chunks of lobster....or perhaps "the biggest".....served on buttered and grilled rolls....served in a seaside setting (whether at a picnic table or in a charming window in a bistro or cafe), When I have lobster.....I want it to be memorable. It is my favorite food.
What do you think of this recipe?

‪Lobster Roll Traditional Style recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys‬‏ - YouTube

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
What do you think of this recipe?
Well, I am sure its good and I would eat it if it were served to me that way.......but it isnt how I would do it. First observation.....his lobsters looked almost dead at t he start....don't quite know why he had to "kill" em with his knive before boiling em.
I might have been more receptive if he had a down east accent rather than that wild western drawl.

I wouldnt use garlic for my lobster....

I have never had a hot lobster roll........I like it chilled and served in a buttered and toasted roll. I like big chunks like he said.....I do use a very little bit of mayo on the chilled lobster meat, some s&p and a squeeze of lemon.....and I sometimes butter the inside of the roll. I agree with him it doesnt call for onion or celery or carrot If I had a ton of lobster and garden tomatoes......I can imagine stuffing some scooped out tomato with lobster meat and a little mayo.....and serve it on a plate with lettuce....but thats not a lobster roll.

My absolute fav. lobster recipe is: Cal Hancock's Lobster Gazpacho | wlbz2.com (http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=89665 - broken link)

Old 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Well, I am sure its good and I would eat it if it were served to me that way.......but it isnt how I would do it. First observation.....his lobsters looked almost dead at t he start....don't quite know why he had to "kill" em with his knive before boiling em.
I might have been more receptive if he had a down east accent rather than that wild western drawl.

I have never had a hot lobster roll........I like it chilled and served in a buttered and toasted roll. I like big chunks like he said.....I do use a very little bit of mayo on the chilled lobster meat, some s&p and a squeeze of lemon.....and I sometimes butter the inside of the roll. I agree with him it doesnt call for onion or celery or carrot If I had a ton of lobster and garden tomatoes......I can imagine stuffing some scooped out tomato with lobster meat and a little mayo.....and serve it on a plate with lettuce....but thats not a lobster roll.

My absolute fav. lobster recipe is: Cal Hancock's Lobster Gazpacho | wlbz2.com (http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=89665 - broken link)

To be fair to the video, he said the garlic and warm lobster is the way he likes it, and can be left out of his recipe.

As for the almost dead lobsters--well, they were still moving, but he did say the lobsters were from the Northeast, and so they probably had to be shipped all the way to Texas (or wherever this guy makes his videos) first.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Smile I dont want to start the lobster wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
To be fair to the video, he said the garlic and warm lobster is the way he likes it, and can be left out of his recipe.

As for the almost dead lobsters--well, they were still moving, but he did say the lobsters were from the Northeast, and so they probably had to be shipped all the way to Texas (or wherever this guy makes his videos) first.
Yes, he did say that about the garlic......and I understand about "browned butter" it just seemed like a rather unusual treatment especially for someone who kept emphasizing the authenticity of his recipe.... I am 70 years old.....have eaten lobster for at least the last 60 years....when ever I could get my hands on some....I never had a hot lobster roll heated in browned butter sauce.....now mind you I bet its delicous....its just not the only way.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, he did say that about the garlic......and I understand about "browned butter" it just seemed like a rather unusual treatment especially for someone who kept emphasizing the authenticity of his recipe.... I am 70 years old.....have eaten lobster for at least the last 60 years....when ever I could get my hands on some....I never had a hot lobster roll heated in browned butter sauce.....now mind you I bet its delicous....its just not the only way.
Could be serving cold lobster in a lobster roll is done not necessarily because it tastes better.

But because it's easier and cheaper for a restaurant to mix up a batch of lobster filling in a big container and then refrigerate it.

Then when a customer orders a lobster roll, they just take the container out of the fridge to spoon out what's needed, then put the container back in the fridge until the next customer comes along.

For a restaurant to make fresh cooked and warm lobster rolls like in the video, they'd have to charge an awful lot, and probably waste a lot of lobster, too.

On that theory, could be warm lobster in a warm toasted roll like in the video is something to try out.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I wouldnt eat those lobsters, he made a fatal error (to me)
while demonstrating "the correct way to pick a lobster tail" he didnt remove the sh*t shoot from the tail- the lobster feces will spread in the whole frying pan-these lobsters were almost dead- ive never seen anyone taking a knife to the head of lobster
its a vein like shoot that runs the top side of the lobster tail, sometimes it's very dark, but it is lobster sh*t,
once you remove the tail, you can peel back the top and remove this easily

not that im a lobster snob- but i grew up lobstering and have eaten thousands- ALWAYS removing this
sh*t shoot from the tail- would you eat cow-sh*t on your burger????
im going for a lobster feed in a couple days, maybe i'll make a video of how to properly do this

Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Quote:

I'll try anything once, and I like gazpacho, but this sounds like a waste of lobster to me

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
I'll try anything once, and I like gazpacho, but this sounds like a waste of lobster to me
Its really delicious! I make it every year for a family gathering--and it is a favorite....we talk about it all year.....I am pretty extravagent with the lobster meat and get the big container....of picked lobster ..... from down on the warf in Portland.... must be about 5 pounds or more of claws and tails (not sure of the amount...its the tall container of picked meat) ....and I leave big chunks......and serve it in a punch bowl.....Like I say....people love it. It has become my once a year extravaganza specialty item. It is the way I like lobster best.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Quote:
Its really delicious! I make it every year for a family gathering--and it is a favorite....we talk about it all year.....I am pretty extravagent with the lobster meat and get the big container....of picked lobster ..... from down on the warf in Portland.... must be about 5 pounds or more of claws and tails (not sure of the amount...its the tall container of picked meat) ....and I leave big chunks......and serve it in a punch bowl.....Like I say....people love it. It has become my once a year extravaganza specialty item. It is the way I like lobster best.
Well I'll just have to give it try. I'll report back

Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:

When I saw his lobsters were "sleepers" aka dead I lost interest. The simpler the lobster roll the better IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine