U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times

Advertisements

Yes, the ones at Ben's Store are reasonably priced and have a lot of crab meat in them. Scoops Ice Cream on Water St. in Ellsworth, crab meat roll $6.95; the cheapest ones are the ones you make yourself well, the ones I make myself anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,113,010 times
I like a nice lobster sauce on medium rare Delmonico (rib eye) steak. Not as thick as a Newburgh sauce but with that nice sherry/butter taste. YUM! If you ever get gout this will trigger an attack everytime. But it's worth it once in a while.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 AM

I seldom buy a lobster roll from a restaurant They are so easy to make at home and FAR less expensive. Same with crabmeat rolls. I made 10 crabmeat rolls with three tubs of crabmeat last week. It cost me less than $3.00 a piece to make them here and they were PACKED with crabmeat.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:53 AM

38,428 posts, read 18,188,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I seldom buy a lobster roll from a restaurant They are so easy to make at home and FAR less expensive. Same with crabmeat rolls. I made 10 crabmeat rolls with three tubs of crabmeat last week. It cost me less than $3.00 a piece to make them here and they were PACKED with crabmeat.
I know how to make a simple Maine style lobster roll....is the crab roll similar....I never made that.....what is your recipe?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I know how to make a simple Maine style lobster roll....is the crab roll similar....I never made that.....what is your recipe?
Crabmeat is similar but I mix it lightly with mayo before I put it in the roll where I put the mayo directly on the roll with lobster. I use the top cut frankfurter rolls, butter and toast them on a flat pan, I use a little lettuce in the bottom (optional), pile the crabmeat to them, and put a dash of paprika on top for color. Very simple and very good. I can only eat two and I'm stuffed. We had them with fresh beet greens last week, nice treat.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM

38,428 posts, read 18,188,727 times
Default crabmeat rolls

Quote:
Crabmeat is similar but I mix it lightly with mayo before I put it in the roll where I put the mayo directly on the roll with lobster. I use the top cut frankfurter rolls, butter and toast them on a flat pan, I use a little lettuce in the bottom (optional), pile the crabmeat to them, and put a dash of paprika on top for color. Very simple and very good. I can only eat two and I'm stuffed. We had them with fresh beet greens last week, nice treat.
It sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing. The beet greens also sound wonderful. Thanks again.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM

564 posts, read 975,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Crabmeat, mayo, roll.
Mix, toast roll, stuff roll, eat roll.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 AM

29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
I like a nice lobster sauce on medium rare Delmonico (rib eye) steak. Not as thick as a Newburgh sauce but with that nice sherry/butter taste. YUM! If you ever get gout this will trigger an attack everytime. But it's worth it once in a while.
This one menu item; will cause your kidneys to stop processing uric acid from your blood such that it will build-up in your joints, causing inflammation and pain?

I have a few friends who deal with gout, and my mother had bouts with gout. I was not aware that there are any specific menu items that would trigger them to have an attack.

What about the normal diuretics? If you routinely suffer from gout, you should be on a diuretic anyway, to prevent this.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM

501 posts, read 1,066,849 times
We just did a trip from Oregon to Maine and oh my, was Maine totally worth the time spent getting there - we stayed at Acadia NP, and ate lobster every day, sometimes 2x a day. Dh loves it just boiled and buttered, and I absolutely loved lobster rolls - we knew we'll never eat that much lobster again in our lives so we ate with abandon.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place where I got the best lobster roll; wasn't the cheapest, but the roll was exceptionally awesome and the meat portion huge (I'd never had a lobster roll in my life and became addicted after my first one).

The worst was at a place that everyone had highly recommended - Trenton Bridge lobster pound (it was really close to where we were camping, so I'd figured we'd be there every day. When dh brought the food out to the car (we were headed to a picnic spot), the "lobster roll" was just a medium amout of lobster on 2 pieces of flat white tasteless bread, like a lobster sandwich. He said he asked, and they said that was how they make a lobster roll. It wasn't cheap and by that time, I'd already had a few awesome lobster rolls and so this was a let-down. His cooked lobster from TB was a bit overcooked as well. Maybe a bad day for them or something, but it was a bunch of money spent for nothing, and there are tons of places from which to choose, so we never went back to TB.

Maine was awesome, just awesome. Nice people, really good seafood (even some bbq that was yummy), so pretty at the harbors, the shores, lighthouses, thunderstorms overnight (tornado warnings, which really surprised me), the roar of the ocean, sunny days, beautiful sunsets, pretty countryside drives, boats everywhere, and loved the sound of the way people talked, the way some words were pronounced and the comfortable rhythm of their words in a conversation was oddly relaxing to me. We'd originally planned to stay just a few days, but didn't want to leave so ended up there over a week. I don't know when I'll get back there again, but I hope at least once more because I'd like to see explore even more of Maine than we had time to do. And I'm going to buy my own rolls next time and let dh crack a few cooked lobstahs for me,so I can make my own version of lobster rolls in the trailer

Last edited by sugarsugar; 07-20-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This one menu item; will cause your kidneys to stop processing uric acid from your blood such that it will build-up in your joints, causing inflammation and pain?

I have a few friends who deal with gout, and my mother had bouts with gout. I was not aware that there are any specific menu items that would trigger them to have an attack.

What about the normal diuretics? If you routinely suffer from gout, you should be on a diuretic anyway, to prevent this.
I take allopurinol and one colchicine daily and have since I was 22. I'm now 53. If I eat two lobsters on a Saturday I will get a slight gout flare on the following Monday. The steak itself may trigger it but the combo definitely will. The attacks are not that severe as long as I take the meds and will usually subside to where I'm comfortable in a couple of days. I expect them whenever I drink too much domestic unpasturized beer, eat a lot of clams or lobster, eat too much high fat steak (T-bones and ribeye are the worst), a lot of wild turkey and the worst thing I have found that will trigger it is partridge. Even worse than lobster! Diuretics are the wrong way to go. They drain fluid when what you need is more fluid to disslove the uric acid crystals that have formed in the joint. For an accute flare (which I seldom have now) I have an anti inflamatory called indomethacin. I don't like it as it is so powerful it makes your scalp tingle but it will take down the swelling in a hurry. For really severe bouts I keep a z pak of prednisone handy. I havent had a really severe problem to where I can't even walk in several years now. I get what I call twinges where my toes and ankles stiffen and I get uric acid "lumps" in my heels which make me feel like I have a stone in my shoe. Lots of water and a lean diet will allow the lumps to dissolve entirely in about two weeks. I have it pretty bad but I've had a lot of time to get used to dealing with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine