Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

IMHO, NMLM brought up some good points.

"1) Are there any benefits in investing in land - personal and for business"

If you wanted to own land, but never ever see that land, then maybe not.

If you wanted to camp on it, fish, hunt, grow a woodlot, or possibly one day retire to a cabin in a forest, then yes there are benefits to it.

"2) Which is the best place to invest in Maine region for personal and business?"

The economy today is poor.

Where is a good business investment? LOL good luck with that one. Anyone's guess is just as valid as anyone else'.

My SIL bought 100+ acres of forest in Maine. Why? it is cheap. Our Creator is not making any more this week. And it is cheap. It cost her a month's pay, no big deal. Now that she owns land in Maine, she pays more in one month for coffee than what she pays for property taxes in Maine. Maine's property taxes can be super low, which is a huge benefit.

Rural or urban, really depends so much on you, and what you want to do in life. There is no pay answer to this.

I wanted to live in a forest, to grow my own food, to live an inexpensive lifestyle and to get away from my career focus which had been mostly on killing people. Maine allows me to do this.

But my personal reasons and outlook does not mesh will most other posters here. We all have our own reasons for choosing Maine.

If you want to focus on outdoor living; low income / low COL / low taxes; clean air; moose, bear, turkey, beaver, eagles all around you; laid back lifestyle; This is the place.

Yesterday, My Dw and I were hauling a cast iron woodstove to a friend's camp to give it to him. On the way I was surprised at how steep the road's hills were and how badly my truck was fighting the hills. My old truck over-heated and blew it's radiator. So we ended up sitting parked on the shoulder waiting for it to cool down while my buddy brought us some water. Now, guess how many folks stopped to see if we needed help.

My Dw kept count. 6 vehicles went by us. 3 of them stopped and refused to leave until we explained to them who was coming to help us and they each assured us that if did need any help to call them. Of the 3 who did not stop one was a loaded logging truck.

50% of the vehicles that saw us stopped. And more they each were truly concerned and wanted to help if my buddy was slow in arriving.

You do not get this in most other states.

Last edited by Submariner; 07-14-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Actually there is one way to make money on land. Look for distressed Maine families that are forced to sell their five generation family camps. Then, resell them to out-of-staters like everyone else does!!!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Don't forget bedbugs. Holy crap! Guess we won't see you flipping houses up here. On the other hand mountain land mayt become the new waterfront property. Seriously though, I'm glad I don't see things the way you do.

7th; got any more tinfoil?
I'll lend you a colander, but you might have to plug up the holes.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,657 times
Thank you again everybody. You guys have given me a lot of fodder to write an article.

cheers
Kaps

Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 PM

I would appreciate a link to the article when it is published. If that is possible.

Thank you

Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 AM

5 posts, read 12,657 times
@forest beekeeper - Sure if its published I will... Hopefully as a writer I am able to justify the viewpoints, since I am in no way connnected to Maine or US. But as a job, have to do it.

Thanx again for your time and effort.

Kaps

Old 07-16-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaps4 View Post
@forest beekeeper - Sure if its published I will... Hopefully as a writer I am able to justify the viewpoints, since I am in no way connnected to Maine or US. But as a job, have to do it.
Through editing and re-writes if you find you need more input on those viewpoints, be sure to come back here and ask further.

If Mainers have anything in surplus it is opinionated viewpoints
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine