U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times

Advertisements

All streams and rivers flow down hill. Follow it to the first bridge and stick your thumb out. This is not rocket science. I knew this when I was four years old. There are a few places where this could be a long walk. From Hannibal's Crossing on the West Branch is quite a hike between bridges, but you'll see lots of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM

90 posts, read 133,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Kudos to you for recognizing that there is a western part of Maine. A lot of people. including some who live here, know of only southern and northern Maine. A Discovery television show recently had an episode of a survival show in the oceanic shipping lane of northern Maine.

Are you looking for a remote place to live? Vacation?

Haha I DVRed that show and was excited to watch it. It was lame, lame, lame. They didn't show anything that was really of use, and the shipping lane in northern maine really did make me lol.

KellySmith I hear what you are saying. However Lots of people still die less than 15 miles into the woods. Add some poor weather, wrong clothing or an injury and a guy could be SOL.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,743 times
dual survival's would get lost in my back yard of the of St. John Valley. Then you still have NORTH WESTERN MAINE.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

473 posts, read 614,379 times
the dual survival show was shot here in cutler on the state own land on east stream. to get lost there would take more effort than for them to survive there!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:31 PM

605 posts, read 1,178,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
As far as just pure remoteness, I don't think there are any areas in the entire lower 48 that are more remote than northern Maine. All the previous contenders have seen quite a bit of change over the last 50 years. Or they are located on the way to "somewhere else". But we're still our own little world lol
I like it........it keeps the crazies and wimps out lol

Sorry dude but you gotta be kidding yourself if you think there are not more remote places in the lower 48. Maine is a tiny state in close proximity to major cities on the eastern sea board.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,513,743 times
You missed the point: northern Maine isn't "on the way" to any place else. It's the end of the line.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Sorry dude but you gotta be kidding yourself if you think there are not more remote places in the lower 48. Maine is a tiny state in close proximity to major cities on the eastern sea board.

Maine is the 11th smallest state.. By New England standards its huge though..

There has to be more remote or just as remote places east of the miss.. I am thinking PA or even maybe West Va..

I driven through Jackman Maine which is probably not considered northern Maine or even remote by some standards but for me its pretty dam remote... anyways not far over the border in Canada there is a city Saint-Geroges...

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
I used to fly from Toronto to Frederickton on a frequent basis. We would fly directly over St. Georges in La Beauce. Then a window passenger would say, "Oh look, we are over the ocean." I would explain that we were not over the ocean, just over Maine.

"But there are no lights." I would tell the person to wait a few minutes. Then the lights of Millinocket would appear like an island. After a while the lights of New Brunswick would appear as though we were approaching a coast.

Go west from where I live and you come to Quebec. Go east and you come to New Brunswick. I live on the Trans-Maine Trail. There is a reason a traveler would think they were over the ocean here. It is because of something called LURC which prevents economic development on private property in more than half of Maine. We are working on that problem and hope to regain our freedom in the spring.

"You missed the point: northern Maine isn't "on the way" to any place else. It's the end of the line."

We are on the way to one of the most beautiful and cosmopolitan cities in North America. That is Quebec City. We are on the way to the many port cities on the St. Lawrence River. over 90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U. S. border. There is a big market over there and lots to do.

There is a vigorous and powerful cabal in Maine that wants everybody to believe we are "the end of the line." Don't believe it. I worked in Canada for seven years while living in Maine.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
I wouldnt be so quick to jump to this conclusion- Ive seen signs west of bethel "the great north woods" and this means 26 million acres (see below)

from bethel to .. colebrook nh is one of the prettiest rides-all mountains and "notches"
and if you've ever travelled this, you would believe the great north woods has so much land to it

last week, I drove to rangeley , then rte 16 (18miles) to stratton another beautiful ride- mostly trees and mountains

The Great North Woods of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York make up the largest and wildest forest left in the eastern United States. Twenty-six million acres of spruce, fir, beech and sugar maple are dotted with thousands of silver lakes and streams. Loons call across the ponds, moose browse in dense thickets, and Canada lynx pad unseen through the trees.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

38 posts, read 82,040 times
The Adirondack region is pretty sparse (and socially isolated as well!), but it's still quite a bit more populous than northern Maine, and more accessible to big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or