U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times

Advertisements

And there are families where people are like that too.....no explaination....no rational...mothers who kill their own children.(think Florida) ...fathers who kill their own children and on and on and on....whether pit bulls or people.....there are killers in all species. My children were attacked by their grandmother's beloved Basset Hound.....in Plymouth Maine....(which caused quite a breach in family dynamics for awhile)....the offending animal needs to be put down....not bred because it showed aggression.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:02 PM

603 posts, read 1,713,564 times
I work at a shelter and most of the dogs we have are pitbulls.I started out volunteering at the shelter when i was 12,ive been there a longgggg time,guess how many times i've been bitten by a pitbull?NONE.Guess how many labradors bit me?THREE.Almost all of the small breeds snap.They don't tolerate anything.In my opinion any of the japanese/chinese breeds(chows,sharpei,shiba inus,jindo,akita,etc)are highly aggressive.They may be good with their owners/families but NOT with strangers.Most pitbull attacks are a direct result of how they were raised.Unfortunately many low life's own these dogs and use them for fighting,breeding,they chain them in the yard for their whole lives.If you do not socialize ANY breed of dog they WILL have issues.Pitbulls are hands down,the most abused and unwanted breed of dog,yet we STILL have the scumbags breeding them.There needs to be a mandatory spay/neuter law for pitbulls,there are too many of them and they are so unwanted and misunderstood.

I've seem some horrendous abuse cases,all pitbulls of course.Guess what?They still LOVE people,even after they've endured abuse for years and years.Not many other breeds can do that.Pitbulls were NEVER bred to be human aggressive,hence why they go in the fighting ring and GRAB the dogs as they are attacking the other dog.They do not have lock jaw.People need to stop being so ignorant.Its absurd that people who judge these dogs so much never even met a pitbull.

Pitbulls,like other terriers,have a higher chance of being animal aggressive.Just because they hate other animals does NOT mean they will eat every child in sight.They actually make an excellent family dog as they are very tolerable of all the annoying things children do.BUT again,socializing is very important.I have three pitbulls who live with chihuahuas saint bernards and cats.Dont have any problems with them at all.They are also good with strange dogs as i have socialized them ever since they were vaccinated and were able to go on walks.

You NEVER hear the good stories about them because it does not get the ratings up.Also, more often than not it is not even a pitbull that did the attack,if its a 40lb+dog they label it as a pit.Its absurd.We get bite cases in ALL the time at my shelter,very rarely is it a pitbull.Its a shame,anti pit people are missing out on a very loving,loyal breed of dog.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 PM

90 posts, read 133,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
And some dogs snap and some dogs do not, just like people.

How many times do the friends and neighbors of some human serial killer comment that the killer had been such a quiet and nice man, that they would never have thought he could ever hurt a fly?

Same with dogs.

Sure thats true, but I don't get your point. We shouldn't own pets?
The neighbors in hindsight also say "I knew there was something odd about that man".

Old 07-15-2011, 06:39 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If they are unarmed in the home a pit bull is a poor choice as a guard dog. The owner is just as endangered as the burglar. I commend the 12 year old who had access to the shotgun and ammunition and the presence of mind to save his grandmother's life.

I spoke with the lady who lost an arm recently to a pit bull. She was unarmed. She is one noble lady. She said she was glad it was not one of the neighborhood kids.

A primary motivation for some people to have a pit bull around is to help defend the pot patch out back.

I spoke with the lady who lost an arm recently to a pit bull. She was unarmed.

you do have a way with words!!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:42 PM

20,612 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I absolutely 100% believed this as well... right up to last year when one of my sisters pitbulls killed the the one while out for a walk one evening. Both raised from puppies in the house, both together all the time from puppies to adulthood. Both treated the same way as well (to be household pets and almost members of the family, not aggressive in any way shape or form.) A walk every evening; then one evening the one just snapped and grabbed the other by the neck and held on until it died, no matter how hard my sister and her husband tried to get them apart. He wouldn't let go until my brother-n-law ran to the house, grabbed his gun and came back and shot the dog who still had a hold and tearing it apart.

Sometimes it IS the dog and there is NO warning when dealing with Pitbulls.

As a side note, I guess the one that was killed, never tried to fight back just get away. He was as gentle as a lamb right to the end.
Were they siblings? How far apart in age were they? They were both males, right?

Edit, and to make sure this stays on topic for Maine....this is a great article from last year:

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/07/1...-of-pit-bulls/

Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
I am cutting out now ......I love the pitties and love the people of Maine...I hope they can get along. Good Night.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
True.

But a toy poodle can't rip off someone's arm.

A toy poodle isnt a real dog. Its a fluffy little useless yap yap.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,169,299 times
I used to have a pit bull. I think it was a mixed breed because it didn't seem as "stocky" as many of the pit bull pictures I've seen, not sure... I'm not a big dog person..... but the thing was absurdly non-aggressive, if not somewhat nauseatingly over-affectionate to every single person it ever met.

Convinced me henceforth that the whole pit bulls are dangerous monsters hysteria was just that. Just the latest chicken little scare by the control freaks who want to micromanage society by outlawing this, that, and the other thing.

I would put that dogs mouth an inch from a babies face and have no greater concern than if I were to put my cat right next to a babies face.... which is to say that both warrant keeping an eye on since animals should never be fully trusted in the same way that people should never be fully trusted.... but I would not bat an eyelash out of excessive concern, if I were to do such a thing.

Not all pitt bulls are like that..... nor are all people 'gems.' You assess the case, as it is. Sometimes a degree of trust is warranted. Sometimes, its not, because something is just rotten to the core and defective.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I spoke with the lady who lost an arm recently to a pit bull. She was unarmed.
But the dog wasn't in her home--it wasn't her dog.

It was the neighbor's dog that attacked her.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post
Sure thats true, but I don't get your point. We shouldn't own pets?
The neighbors in hindsight also say "I knew there was something odd about that man".
Here we go again!

Biddeford officer kills attacking pit bull

July 15, 2011, at 5:45 p.m.

BIDDEFORD, Maine A local police officer has shot dead a pit bull after it reportedly bit him and then attempted to attack him a second time.

Story: Police: Biddeford officer kills attacking pit bull Maine News Bangor Daily News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or