U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,023,285 times
Default Pit Bulls in Maine

What's with all the pit bulls and rotweillers and other aggresive dogs in Maine?

A short while ago one bit off the arm of a neighbor in her own driveway.

Recently one killed a baby while another mauled three people and a peaceful dog.

I associate these dogs with urban ganster culture.

Why would people in Maine keep these dogs?

One theory I recently thought of, is that people in Maine might be keeping these dogs to protect their homes from an increasing incidence of burglaries and home invasions by drug addicts.

Is that why they keep these dangerous dogs, to frighten criminals away from their homes?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:21 PM

738 posts, read 1,085,896 times
Most of the people I have seen with them are thug wannabees!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM

5,990 posts, read 7,393,434 times
If they are unarmed in the home a pit bull is a poor choice as a guard dog. The owner is just as endangered as the burglar. I commend the 12 year old who had access to the shotgun and ammunition and the presence of mind to save his grandmother's life.

I spoke with the lady who lost an arm recently to a pit bull. She was unarmed. She is one noble lady. She said she was glad it was not one of the neighborhood kids.

A primary motivation for some people to have a pit bull around is to help defend the pot patch out back.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If they are unarmed in the home a pit bull is a poor choice as a guard dog. The owner is just as endangered as the burglar. I commend the 12 year old who had access to the shotgun and ammunition and the presence of mind to save his grandmother's life.

I spoke with the lady who lost an arm recently to a pit bull. She was unarmed. She is one noble lady. She said she was glad it was not one of the neighborhood kids.

A primary motivation for some people to have a pit bull around is to help defend the pot patch out back.
I figured the thug wannabes and pot patches being part of it, but I was also thinking that maybe good people might be keeping these dogs at home as a way to protect their homes from burglaries while they are away from home at work.

Down here in New York City I see more of these dogs than I would like to see. One woman in particular walks one of these beasts down my street a few times a day. It makes me wish I had a pistol permit in case the thing goes for me or someone because I doubt the woman would ever be able to hold the dog back, like the woman that couldn't stop her two monster dogs from killing a neighbor in the apartment house hallway a few years back.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:13 PM

9,656 posts, read 4,530,176 times
Oh for God's sake, it's not the dog breed, it's the way the dog is raised and trained. Some idiots in this world decided to train pit bulls to be aggressive and fight and the media went insane with it. Now more people than not think all pit bulls are horrible and dangerous dogs. It's the people who raise them this way, NOT the dang dog. Pitbulls, Rotts, Shepherds, etc, when raised right and trained correctly are no more dangerous than any other dog.

ALL dogs can bite and attack.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM

2,883 posts, read 2,929,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh for God's sake, it's not the dog breed, it's the way the dog is raised and trained. Some idiots in this world decided to train pit bulls to be aggressive and fight and the media went insane with it. Now more people than not think all pit bulls are horrible and dangerous dogs. It's the people who raise them this way, NOT the dang dog. Pitbulls, Rotts, Shepherds, etc, when raised right and trained correctly are no more dangerous than any other dog.

Thank you.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

True.

But a toy poodle can't rip off someone's arm.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Oh for God's sake, it's not the dog breed, it's the way the dog is raised and trained.
To me, belief in a dogs training is the first danger sign of an owner's false confidence in his dog.

A dog is about as intellilgent as a two year old child ( Dogs as intelligent as two-year-old children - Telegraph ).

So saying a monster dog can handle its teeth responsibly if properly trained . . .

is like saying a two year old child can handle a gun or razor responsibly if he's properly trained.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM

9,656 posts, read 4,530,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
To me, that attitude is the first danger sign.

A dog is about as intellilgent as a two year old child ( Dogs as intelligent as two-year-old children - Telegraph ).

So saying a monster dog can handle its teeth responsibly if properly trained . . .

is like saying a two year old child can handle a gun or razor responsibly if he's properly trained.
Yes, if properly trained, the dog most certainly can "handle its teeth" amongst other things. And if you think a small dog cannot do serious damage to a human, you need to do a little more research. Yes, they most certainly can.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM

33,697 posts, read 10,463,281 times
I used to question why anyone would want to have a pit bull terrier.....their rep being so bad...even Judge Judy dumps on them......then I got to know several pitties and realized my "mixed terrier" rescue dog is probably part pit bull...(plus lots of other strains). I must say the pitties I have experience are unusally gentle and loving dogs....perfect family pets! They are sweeties, gentle, loving and loyal by nature........they are also very strong. There rep comes from the horrors of dog fighting and exploitation. Don't blame the pitties, its all in the training.....if you have a pittie....don't tease it with those toys to pull....don't try to lift them and swing them by their jaws....avoid games that teach and promote aggression.

The last time I checked Dalmations were the #1 breed for biting and attacking humans.....but you dont hear the same level of prejudice against them. (I am a little leary of chow dogs.....but that might be prejudice on my part.....I have no experience.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine