U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,271,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Thirty Borders locations could stay open under a Books-A-Million bid - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/thirty-borders-locations-could-stay-open-under-a-books-a-million-bid/2011/07/22/gIQAza6UTI_story.html - broken link)

Keep in mind that none of that is final and decided. But those are the stores Books-a-Million wants --- assuming they can work out a deal with the liquidators.

There was a rumor that they had an option for 5 more, but that rumor was never confirmed.

As for Brunswick, I do think it has a large enough customer base to support a sizeable bookstore. I'm not sure it has a large enough customer base to support the current Borders's store size. If I were Books-A-Million, I'd definitely be eyeing Brunswick or Topsham, but I'd be eyeing a different location than the one Borders currently occupies.

Of course, I hear that Bull Moose is considering expanding into books. I hope it's a big expansion.

Bull Moose in Bangor just expanded and has books. I love that store. I've gotten a lot of really good deals on books and CDs that no one else even sells anymore (and some great local music ones too).

We went to Borders today. We walked in, turned around, and walked right back out.

We'd have been standing in line for a week. It won't be long before it's cleaned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 PM

15,140 posts, read 19,779,770 times
Well, the Books-A-Million deal apparently fell through, so all Borders are closing after all.

But there was an article in today's Press Herald that Bull Moose is considering expanding into some of the locations. I hope so! I love Bull Moose. Please start carrying books in your Brunswick store!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,698,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Get rid of your computer, anybody? Anybody?
I'd give it up in a second if the rest of the world would give up theirs.

I have a Kindle, and I hate it.

And I still think records sound better than CD's.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 AM

15,140 posts, read 19,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
And I still think records sound better than CD's.
Depends on what you mean. LPs definitely has the "crackles" once the vinyl gets old, whereas CDs don't. But honestly, I kinda like the crackles, if for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM

164 posts, read 210,540 times
I, too, think record albums are nostalgic and fun.

Once, when I was ..er..."younger"...and my son, aged 4 at the time (now 21 yrs), was playing in the same room, I decided to listen to a few old songs from a favorite artist. So I pull out my Fleetwood Mac Rumors album (), glance fondly at the cover art, and walk to the shelf that holds my old turntable. As I pulled the album out of the jacket, my son became interested in what I was doing.
His eyes nearly popped out of his head as he shouted in disbelief,"What are you going to do with THAT???!" His little eyes had never seen a record album!
Wow- what a reality check. Sometimes it's hard to believe how quickly technology changes. It was fun to show him how the turntable has a "needle" and rides in the grooves of the album. He still has a fondness for older things even today. In fact he is a history major at U of Maine!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 6,448,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I understand.

In my career, we had mainframe computers doing long formulas. When I started, we all carried sliderules. We were expected to be doing the formulas every hour ourselves to check on the computers. In that era two calculators would commonly produce different answers, so everything had to be double or triple checked. By the end of my career, I was alone in carrying a sliderule. It had been decided that with the advancement of the computers, errors today are an oddity, so it is no longer seen as needed to have techs verifying the math.

When I was told about the dinosaurs, they meant 'me' [and my era of techs].

I like books. We have collected a large library of our own. Mostly 1800s era home nursing, home economics, herbal, surgery manuals, and Bible commentaries.
Sad to say, I think I have forgotten how to run a slide-rule, I have not seen mine in many years.

For a long time I have ridden the technology bandwagon, always interested in the latest and greatest...but I still like a *real* book. It doesn't need power, batteries don't have to be recharged. You can stuff a paperback in a back-pocket and not worry about breaking it if you sit on it (or swat insects with it).

Sure, there is something to be said for the ability to have a whole library on a small device...but sometimes, in some ways, the old ways can be better.

When CDs were being touted as the replacement for cassette tapes, we were told that they would be cheaper because there were no moving parts and so the manufacturing cost would be reduced- indeed, a blank CD costs only pennies. But has the price gone down?

E-books do not even exist as a physical object, it is merely a digital file with zero manufacturing cost. But does the price reflect that?

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 PM

29,757 posts, read 47,604,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
... When CDs were being touted as the replacement for cassette tapes, we were told that they would be cheaper because there were no moving parts and so the manufacturing cost would be reduced- indeed, a blank CD costs only pennies. But has the price gone down?

E-books do not even exist as a physical object, it is merely a digital file with zero manufacturing cost. But does the price reflect that?
I used to do a lot of business with used book stores.

Before every patrol I would take 20 books in for trade and walk out with 20 'new' used books.

I am not sure you can do that with an E-book.

My Dw wrote a novelette, won a competition and has a publishing contract. Her first book is due out in stores this November. With Borders closing it will cut down on book signing events.

Do they even have book signings with E-books?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,524,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
...Do they even have book signings with E-books?
aw, now I'm going to miss the bookstores even more! I hadn't thought about signings!

I'm an avid reader, but I have a hard time choosing a book without holding it and reading a few pages here and there. I haven't tried any of the e-readers, although I'd go the route of an ipad I'm not sure how much I'd download "books". Things progress and change, but I'd really miss holding a book in my hand!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM

17,203 posts, read 22,247,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
aw, now I'm going to miss the bookstores even more! I hadn't thought about signings!

I'm an avid reader, but I have a hard time choosing a book without holding it and reading a few pages here and there. I haven't tried any of the e-readers, although I'd go the route of an ipad I'm not sure how much I'd download "books". Things progress and change, but I'd really miss holding a book in my hand!
just think of all the space you will save-with no bookshelves around with books already read
you can now have a library on a thumbdrive- same with music cd's cassettes and albums- although i have all of them in storage

music stores use to be in many towns years ago- i remeber going to gardiner (before it was corrupt) as a teenager to a music store and winning an album
glass houses by billy joel- from a live remote radio station wigy-wiggy the wonder dog from waterville

as kids we use to look forward to going to the record store on saturdays

my son- downloaded music on his mp3 player off the internet

ive gotta say- i do like the convenience of ripping music off the internet

I think books will make a comeback- reading on a computer- you dont comprehend as well- too many tabs open

reading is a healthy activity that uses imagination- its a good use of time in this multi-task world

Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,524,326 times
So true about the record stores, they were a fun place to be. When I was in college there was a record store in downtown Orono that I used to go in quite a bit. Now there's Bull Moose in Bangor~ wish I was closer to that. It would be great if one of the Borders stores they purchase is that one in Bangor. It's a great location compared to the tucked away little store they have now. Ten years or so ago I was in a record store in Saco... I don't know if it's still there or not, but that was pretty cool. It was Bill O'Neil's House of Rock and Roll (thank you google, and yes it's still there). I've got a lot of music in ITunes, and swap it off and on an IPod (all of it won't fit~over 55,000 and still growing), and I love being able to download songs and CDs. Still, there are some CDs in the Jeep, and it's nice to load up the player and let it go.

Progress.... yes. But, there's a storage area here with a lot of albums, cassettes, and CDs. I keep saying they've "got to go", but geez, I don't know if I can do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine