U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 PM

17,168 posts, read 22,189,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
So true about the record stores, they were a fun place to be. When I was in college there was a record store in downtown Orono that I used to go in quite a bit. Now there's Bull Moose in Bangor~ wish I was closer to that. It would be great if one of the Borders stores they purchase is that one in Bangor. It's a great location compared to the tucked away little store they have now. Ten years or so ago I was in a record store in Saco... I don't know if it's still there or not, but that was pretty cool. It was Bill O'Neil's House of Rock and Roll (thank you google, and yes it's still there). I've got a lot of music in ITunes, and swap it off and on an IPod (all of it won't fit~over 55,000 and still growing), and I love being able to download songs and CDs. Still, there are some CDs in the Jeep, and it's nice to load up the player and let it go.

Progress.... yes. But, there's a storage area here with a lot of albums, cassettes, and CDs. I keep saying they've "got to go", but geez, I don't know if I can do it!
same here, along with 8 tracks

their is a barnes and noble in augusta - huge!!
I could be there all day just perusing different books- but i dont, always too much to do and dont feel "productive" - and perhaps thats why we dont read as much as generations ago did- we have tv's with hundreds of channels, we have the internet, we have cell phones tied to us-
all this technology that wasnt there years ago

but i will say the internet is incredible its a portal to the world-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM

20,653 posts, read 15,445,833 times
I think eReaders did have a hand in it but at the same time, those big chains had a hand in killing some of the mom and pop stores.

I have a Kindle and I love it. Always been a huge book fan and reader since I was a kid. Used to be no one wanted to help me move due to the sheer number of book boxes I had.

I didn't think I'd like the Kindle, either. I fought it off for a good two years when a friend got one and told me I'd love it. Pscht! No way. Replace a real book? I felt she simply did not understand the whole experience and must not be as much of a book fan as I was.

Except I was wrong. I tried out the Kindle and was immediately hooked. Every so often I got all nostalgic and wanted to read a "real" book and I do have a few of those still lying around. But after the Kindle, I have to say, I prefer it over the "real" thing now.

No, forest, you may not be able to trade in 20 books but you can carry up to 3000-5000 books with you at once. You can get public domain books for free that you could not get at bookstores. You get a lot of discounts, lots of promotions, even the Kindle has the library feature coming up soon and the lending feature so, don't miss books at all.

The last time I was in a Barnes and Noble was merely to compare my Kindle with the Nook. Haven't been inside a bookstore since receiving my Kindle and I truly do not miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine